Specialized Tarmac Pro Road Bike

4.48/5 (33 Reviews)

• Specialized FACT 6r carbon frame with compact race geometry and Zertz seatstay inserts
  • Lightweight full FACT carbon fork with vibration damping Speed Zertz
  • Lighter weight S-Works FACT carbon stem with magnesium face plate
  • Lighter, vibration-damping S-Works FACT carbon aero handlebar with ergo/aero shaping
  • Smoother shifting, lighter weight Shimano Dura-Ace/Ultegra 20-speed drivetrain
  • Lighter FSA SLK MegaExo 2-piece carbon crankset
  • Lighter Mavic Ksyrium Elite high performance wheelset

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by cwesterholm a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2011

Strengths:    Light, stiff, reliable company

Weaknesses:    Never crashed, but broke the non-drive seat stay or non-drive chain stay on three frames.

Bottom Line:
    This is my California bike, I live in Madison, WI. I switched out the standard shimano groupo with a DA Triple groupo when I purchased the bike and then used it for three weeks of climbing in Europe. It performed perfectly. However, I'm a heavy rider and the frame has broken several items. Specialized has replaced it with a new frame everytime, no questions.

Favorite Ride:   Tarmac Pro

Purchased At:   Erik's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Tarmac SL2, Ritchey Ti/Carbon Breakaway, Tarmac Pro Transition

Bike Setup:   DA Triple groupo with Easton EA 90 wheelset

Submitted by ditexo a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2011

Strengths:    light and stable. Outstanding value. Very good racing bike.

Weaknesses:    Very Stiff. It is so stiff that I might have to downgrade my wheels,and put on 700x25's

Bottom Line:
    This review is for the 2011 model,and the purchase price is for the frameset only.

Stable, light, fast but VERY STIFF! I think this bike would be perfect for Crits and short distance rides. Don't get me wrong, this is a good bike and an outstanding value, but I don't see myself doing anything longer than 75 miles on this bike.

Favorite Ride:   BMC Promachine 09

Purchased At:   Local Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   BMC Pro-Machine 2009. Which has all the qualites of the Tarmac Pro, but it is much more comfortable.

Bike Setup:   Mavic Ksyrums SL's and full Sram Force. Full Carbon components.

Submitted by stephen humpage a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff , super light , corners like a cheater chasing a gazzel, climbs real good

Weaknesses:    slight problem with bb30 crank clicking , but was sorted out by a good mechanic

Bottom Line:
    WOW and double wow started road cycling 4 years ago first bike was the allez elite specilized with shimano 105 then i purchased the 2008 s works tarmac pro frame and falks with aset of mivic ksyriums and 7800 dura ace both bikes were exellent , by the end of 2009 i was racing and so i purchased the 2010 tarmac pro with 7900 dura ace and fulcrum 1 wheels . Idid not think it was possible for specilized to make such massive improvments in there bike geometry and performance ,BUT THEY DO EVERY YEAR awsome racing machine the tours prove it

Similar Products Used:   allez elite

Bike Setup:   s works tarmac pro 2008

Submitted by WomanOnTop a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2010

Strengths:    ??

Weaknesses:    Poor engineering- seat stem cracked?!
    Specialized is impossible to deal with and does not stand behind the product.

Bottom Line:
    So far, I put about 1200 miles on the bike, ridden up steep kettles in the glacial area where I live and down some massive hills at breakneck speeds. I love the color and style of the bike but it is trash now with a cracked seat steam! With a weight of only 120 lbs I am shocked at the weak frame. Now Specialized is being tough to deal because I don’t have my original receipt of purchase. Only servicing the bike at shops where they are experts in these bikes, I feel burned by Specialized and would not suggest the brand.

Favorite Ride:   To be determined

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   FSA SLK light compact crank and 9 speed cassette, speedplay pedals, all other Specialized components.

Submitted by BALSDEEP a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2010

Strengths:    WHAT A BIKE!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
    STIFF, FAST, COMFORT AND SO GOOD LOOKING! THE BIKE IS ALSO NICE.

Favorite Ride:   Specialized Tarmac Pro SL

Purchased At:   SHOP

Similar Products Used:   CERVELO R3. I KNOW THE TWO BIKE HAVE A DIFFERENT GEOMETRY BUT FOR ME THEY FELT EQUALLY GOOD. I THOUGHT THE SPECIALIZED WAS A BETTER VALUE FOR THE MONEY.

Bike Setup:   SRAM RED.

Tarmac SL3 Pro vs SL4 Pro vs SL4 S-Works

I currently am riding a Specialized Tarmac SL3 Pro and have an oppotunity to upgrade to a SL4 frame. I can upgrade to a SL4 Pro frame for about $500 or to a SL4 S-Works frame for about $1000. I am really quite happy with my SL3 Pro but this seems like too good an opportunity to pass up. Frame wei ... Read More »

Very lightly used 2011 Scott CR1 Pro vs new 2013 Specialized Tarmac Sport

I have the opportunity to acquire either of these bikes at around the same exact price. I am a relatively new rider and am looking for something that I can really take hard around the corners as well as fast riding. Wondering which you would go with if you had the chance?Read More »

Paid Spam: 2012 Tarmac Pro SL4 Frameset (Large)

I am selling my 2012 Tarmac Pro SL4 Frameset: [URL="http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=30085&title=2012-specialized-tarmac-pro-sl4-frameset&cat=5"]http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=30085&title=2012-specialized-tarmac-pro-sl4-frameset&cat=5[/URL]Read More »

Which one , Cannondale EVO Red 2013 or Specialized Tarmac SL 4 Pro

Torn between the two , Cannondale is a complete bike . The Specialized is a frame only , but will go with the new red on it . The frame is a 2013 . Anyone with opinions feel free .Read More »

Specialized Tarmac Pro SL4 54cm

For sale now. Let me know if interested. [url=http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=29416&title=54cm-specialized-tarmac-pro-sl4-road-bike&cat=3]54cm Specialized Tarmac Pro SL4 Road Bike - RoadBikeREVIEW.Com[/url]Read More »