Tommaso Forma Road Bike

• Ritchey Top of the line WCS Logic Stem and Bars
  • Special Edition Selle Italia C2 TransAm Saddle
  • FSA SL-K Carbon Fiber Seat Post
  • Cinelli Cork Bar Tape
  • Genuine Italian high performance Vittoria Zaffiro race tires.

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Brian Nelson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Strengths:    It definitely is pretty...great componentry...carbine is great on the NZ roads since they tend to be bumpy.

Weaknesses:    This product seems to be flawed in that the cracks I experienced are a common theme.

Bottom Line:
    Being a recreational rider, I didn't think the "weak forks and potential to crack" comments that I kept seeing really applied to me. Now I've got a broken bike after less than two years on this bike.

I bought this bike off a guy here in New Zealand who'd carted it back from the US. He's a serious Ironman guy and found he couldn't get fitted to it properly (couldn't get into the aero position properly). I bought it off of him after him having it less than 30 days.

Recently, I noticed a popping/cracking-type sound on my downstroke on one side from I was pretty sure the bottom bracket area. I've had absolutely no issues with my bike and since I hadn't had this problem with my bike before, I figured I must have gotten some dirt in there or just needed to lube the pedals or something. The next ride got even worse though and the popping got so bad that I stopped partway through my ride at a shop and asked if they could have a look at it. They very quickly saw the problem and found several cracks in my bottom bracket and noticed that the bolt that ostensibly holds the parts in the bracket had shifted and was pulling out of the bike. It is their opinion at the shop that the sleeve that holds the axle shifted (it slide inside the sleeve, in other words).

Then, after taking the bike apart to look at a fix, we noticed three more hairline fractures: one of the chainstay next to the seat tube and two more on the seat tube next to the bracket (that I think holds the dérailleur).

I'd hoped to get Tommaso to stand behind their bike...but they waived the warranty back at me and said I wasn't the original owner. Yes, legally they are correct...morally, I think they should want to make this situation right. They didn't even respond to my sob story email with pictures. Randall Scott was my go-between...they were polite, but couldn't do anything about it.

I shoulda paid more attention to the reviews. Don't waste your money, too.

My only hope now is that a local composites engineer (who fixes airplanes) will be able to repair it.

Submitted by Briyin a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Strengths:    Beautiful frame; components top-notch; nicest bike I've ever owned.

Weaknesses:    I'd read of the squirrelly fork that some have had problems with, but I don't race or abuse bikes that hard...so I figured I'd be okay. I don't think I did anything - never dropped it or anything - that might have caused my cracks. I can only conclude that they've built a poor product with nice components.

Bottom Line:
    In summary, I loved my 2007 Forma. I bought it off a guy here in New Zealand who'd just purchased the bike, but couldn't get into the aero position properly (he didn't fit the bike). So, he sold to me less than a month after getting it. But now it's cracked in three places and no longer ride-able.

Once the bike was taken apart, we found that I've got cracks not only on the bottom bracket, but I've also got cracks on the seat tube and on the chainstay.

I contact Randall Scott with my sob story in hopes that they would want to stand behind their bike. I knew from reading their site that they'd likely waive their warranty in front of me and say they aren't responsible since I'm not the original owner. They did. The sting *might* have been slightly lessened had they even responded to me on their own instead of not even reading my email and viewing the pictures - instead Randall came back within minutes to say that "they'd considered it and said 'no'". Yes, legally they are correct...professionally, I'm extremely disappointed that they won't stand behind their product - especially considering that this bike is less than two years old. Very weak, in my book.

I should have paid more attention to the reviews about this bike's propensity to crack. Now I'm just another sob story with an expensive, broken bike.

Submitted by scott hill a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2008

Strengths:    Beautiful aesthetics, dura ace group; RS Cycle's customer service (so far)

Weaknesses:    Frame (for a rider my size) and fork

Bottom Line:
    Last October (2007) I purchased a Forma from RS Cycle through the internet. I had not ridden this bike yet I felt comfortable with the 30 day guarentee offered through RS Cycle after a long discussion with the shop. I have just shy of 1500 miles on my Forma including several triathlons. I am new to cycling in the last year and was drawn to the component set (value) vs. other bikes that I had test road for significantly more money. Further, after my local dealer performed a Serota fitting the felt the bike would fit well but warned me of the frame. I have enjoyed riding this bike until the last several months. My issue with this bike has been the frame - not simply the fork. The fork is squirrelly in corners at high speed if you are a large rider (I am 6'4' and 205 lbs). Further, this bike frame doesn't feel stiff to me and will flex more than you may be comfortable with. I cracked the frame this past weekend (or sometime recently) under the top tube where it connects to the headset. Further, the cranks on this bike have given me some trouble and my local shop has spent several hours servicing them.

Favorite Ride:   Anything throughout the NW

Purchased At:   RS Cycle - Online

Submitted by Thomson773 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2008

Strengths:    Frame, component package, and aesthetics

Weaknesses:    Fork could be upgraded for those planning in racing.

Bottom Line:
    I live in Boulder and was actually able to test ride the Forma before buying it. Living here you have about 6 bike shops per square mile and I must have test ridden two bikes from each. Reading these other reviews I was a bit wary of the Forma, but I ride with friends who have ridden this brand w/out any problems for the past few years. The bottom line is unless you're going to be training and racing at an elite level, this bike is an absolute steal. I wasn't necissarily working on a budget, and after a month of research/testing I still chose the moderately priced forma. While the picture on this forum is of the 06 or 07, the 08 (which I have) is pretty BA. My buddy has the 06, and there's been an ongoing debate in our group which is prettier. For the price you're obviously going to have some areas where it's possible to improve the ride - but as far as the staples this thing is on it. And as far as the frame being "weak" in some places, the rides we do here in the Rockies are as demanding as anything you'll find short of the Alpe d'Huez, and I've felt more flex on titanium. I don't want to be a Forma homer, but I felt an experienced rider with a stong opposing opinion might give a prospective buyer a little more perspective - however if my frame cracks in the next year you can bet I'll be back rescinding all of this.

Favorite Ride:   Gold Hill Loop

Purchased At:   Randall Scott

Similar Products Used:   S-Works Tarmac, Litespeed Ghisallo, Giant TCR Advanced 0

Bike Setup:   Stock accepts changed Fork to Ritchey Carbon and Switch Wheelset to Zip depending on ride.

Submitted by LABGROUSE a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    everything including the company

Bottom Line:
    stinks see my earlier review. I was too kind in my earlier review. The frame has cracked due to improper manufacturing and probably poor testing. I would stay away from anything this company makes. No point in buying a bike if it fails due to manufacturing defects. Others have problems as well with other FRAMES, just google enough and follow threads. This is a very poor company and product. SaVe your money

Favorite Ride:   C50

Purchased At:   na

Giordana Forma Red Bibs

Just bought two of them since backcountry.com has them at $100/bib. Anyone here has any experience with these? Looks like they were $200 originally. Need some new long distance bibs since my other ones are starting to wear out.Read More »

Olmo - Forma or Kurva

Has anyone ridden either of these bikes? I've heard good things about Olmo, but there is very little information about them on the net. I currently ride a Cannondale Synapse, and have had it for 4 years now. It's fine, I'm just bored with it and want go with an Italian steed this time around. I know ... Read More »

$ 119 Giordana Forma Red Bib Shorts + other bibs, jersey, glove & shoe deals

Competitive Cyclist just emailed me on some 50% off or better deals on bibs, jerseys, gloves, shoes, etc.... A few examples are below. Limited sizes available on most stuff, of course, but definitely worth a look. Their everyday prices tend to be on the high side, but you can't knock these doub ... Read More »

Giordana Forma Bibs for $150

indiebike.com Deal of the Day [URL="http://nsvirtualurl.com/app/crm/marketing/campaignlistener.nl?__lstr=__cl&__r=12415&c=651453&__h=1f32948ff668bcb58ba5&_od=aHR0cHM6Ly9mb3Jtcy5uZXRzdWl0ZS5jb20*&url=http://www.indiebike.com/Deal-of-the-Day"]http://nsvirtualurl.com/app/crm/marketing/campaignlisten ... Read More »

pinarello sestrier forma tubing

HELLO does anybody know about that cr-mo tubing it comes on a pinarello sestrier i think its a 25crmo4 , who made that tubing to pinarello and what are its parallels . please exuse my english thanksRead More »