Tommaso TRC 500 Road Bike

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)
MSRP : $1999.00

Tommaso sets the industry bar for a high end road race bike with the TRC-500. The quality and beauty is evident in the TRC-500 with Shimano’s Brand New high performance 10-speed Ultegra group kit and the exclusive designed Kinesis double butted aluminum semi-compact frame with Carbon Seatstays and fork.

Tommaso’s frameset is a state-of-the-art semi-compact design that combines comfort, stiffness, strength, and superb handling all in one ultra-light package. Compare the TRC-500’s frameset with the frames on the professional’s bikes and you’ll see the race-bred pedigree of this carbon and aluminum performance masterpiece.

Submitted by Joe Kolda a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2013

Strengths:    Ultegra - bomber
Cassette, rear derailleur, front derailleur, shifters, crankset, brakes
carbon post

Weaknesses:    Wheel set
saddle

Bottom Line:
The mostly Ultegra build, with the exception of the crankset, (FSA Gossamer 34/50) makes this a worthy first road bike. Most of the negative feedback I got while on the bike was that it was a heavy frame by today's carbon standards. The wheelset that came with the bike had a different sticker on it in the picture. I called them on it and they said, "happens all the time in the sale of internet bikes," had no recourse, but the salesman said it was the same quality of wheel set with which the bike was delivered.
The TRC 500 fit my body geometry like a glove. I'm 6'1" and go for 58 cm, because the Randall Scott Website said that they fit like a Trek or a Giant 58 cm. Good thing they were right.
After a few hundred miles on the Ritchey Aero OCR (Off Center Rim) wheel set, I weighed them on the Park Tool scale, ~1800g and swapped them out for the Performance Titan Road Wheel Set ~1700g. This proved to be the main performance issue with carving the bike down Mt. Hamilton and Hicks Rd. Now the bike rode stiffer and better over-all. I swapped the compact (FSA) crankset out for and Ultegra 6600 53/39 t. The saddle had very little life in it right out of the box, a heavy, cheap-skinned Selle somethin. It hurt me on the 1st through 5th rides, so I swapped it for a Selle SMP.
The frame has seat stays that are carbon, to absorb vibration, well let's just say, enough. Not enough anymore as I've aged though. Enough is not enough unless I upgrade to a full carbon frame.
It's was a great ride Tomasso TRC 500. Have fun with your new owner and I think you will give him 5,000 - 10,000 miles before you'll even need a tune-up. God bless.

Purchased At:   Randall Scott

Similar Products Used:   Giant TCR, OCR, Trek 1200, Stella, Schwinn, Scott, Specialized Roubaix

Submitted by GES796 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    Ultegra components
carbon seat post
carbon seat stays
carbon forks
very good acceleration
excellent price
no state taxes on purchase on-line
great customer support

Weaknesses:    lack of correct tire pressure on arrival.
tires are 700x25c instead of 700x23c
rims are not top of line

Bottom Line:
I searched for a my first road bike with an Ultegra component grouping at my LBS. Everywhere I went bicycles went for 2000k range. After looking and comparing on-line, TRC500 from Randal Scott Cycling offered the best pricing. I ordered the bike on-line for 1189 with free shipping and 60.00 for a pro setup. The bicycle arrived quickly and within 30minutes I had it setup and ready to ride. I have not owned a road bike in 15 years but I am a competitive athlete and I was eager to ride. I rode without proper inflation in the tires and flat spotted my rear rim. Overall I would highly recommend this road bike and the Randal Scott cycling company. The customer service techs are awesome and very helpful. I average 21.1mph for 15miles, but I have only been on a rode bike for 2 weeks.

Favorite Ride:   TRC 500

Purchased At:   Randal Scott Cycle

Similar Products Used:   None, but have a large number of friends who ride competitively. I rode exclusively mountain bikes.

Bike Setup:   TRC500 frame
Full Ultegra grouping
Ritchey rims OCR/Zero hubs
700x23c Bontrager Race Lite hardcase tires
Cateye wireless 12 computer

Submitted by misterp a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2006

Strengths:    carbon alum mix makes for smooth ride
carbon seat post
Full ultegra group with FSA compact crank
The Easton/velomax wheels and hubs are basic, but seem durable so far
The price/components/customer service ratio is hard to match

Weaknesses:    Very heavy tires vittorio zaffiro are about 300+gms
Selle XO saddle screams cheap
The bike seems a little heavy...approx 19lbs

Bottom Line:
Okay here's my review...I shopped around the LBS's in my area and gave several the opportunity to make a sale on a road bike. Most were willing to negotiate as much as they could afford and correctly pointed out that a good LBS doesn't just sell a bike--they offer service and advice. My favorite LBS will take the time to talk shop and share stories--even if you aren't buying. Unfortunately, they just couldn't compete when it came to price...they were asking about $850 more on a bike I would consider about the equal or just a little superior to the Tommaso I bought on-line. I just can't rationalize that kind of dollar difference being worth the LBS experience.

My on-line and phone correspondence with internet dealers such as Randal Scott have also been positive and that, along with the tremendous price difference, were the reasons I bought from them. My emails were quickly answered and phone conversations about components were productive--the people I talked to obviously like to ride. The return policies offered by Randal Scott were fair: 10 day ride and return if unhappy...15% restocking fee applies, I think. One exception to the great customer service should be noted: My bike was shipped with incorrect crank sizes of 175mm and should have been 172.5mm. RS apologized for the mistake and offered to replace with correct size, but insisted that I remove the 175's and mail them back to Florida before shipping the 172.5's to me. I felt that since it was their mistake and I didn't want to be off the bike for 2 weeks waiting on shipping that they should just send out the cranks first, and then I would send the old ones to them--they wouldn't. I think a LBS would have proved more reponsive in this case. As it turns out, the 175's seem fine and nothing hurts after 130 miles on this bike in a week.

So, if you're on the fence about buying on-line make sure the dealer has a phone number and even better yet a shop of their own like RS does so you can be in touch with people who understand cycling.

Now about the bike...
First impressions: great packaging job--takes about 15 minutes to unwrap and another 10 to attach front brakes, handlebars and seatpost.
Fit and Finish...nice paint job and the welds seem relatively evenly scalloped at most joints. The protective clear tommaso decal on the drive-side chain-stay was not put on correctly and has air bubbles in it and looks hokey. The electric tape used to attach the wraps was already coming off and had to be redone immediately. The decals on the Selle XO seat rubbed off the minute I grabbed the thing suggesting a very cheap saddle--I replaced it with a specialized avatar.
Ride Quality/handling...very smooth ride as the carbon additions seem to soak up the bumps pretty well. The very heavy zaffiro 700x25 tires also could be assisting here. Frame is stiff enough for those bursts of sprints or climbing hills, but not for racing.
Drive system: smooth and responsive shifting after I ran through some adjustments of my own--nothing major, just a few tweaks of the barrels. The incorrectly sized cranks creaked and clicked on the first ride and I had to take the left arm off and clean it, and reinstall--no more sounds, yet. The compact system is new to me, so I will fault myself for dropping the chain a couple of times when moving from the 50 to the 34...I just hope it's something I can correct and not a mechanical aspect.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but to sum up, I would recommend this bike to anyone looking to work with a company that will take your calls and emails and offer a pretty good deal on a mid-level bike suitable for anyone looking to ride with the clubs and do the occasional century.

Purchased At:   Randal Scott Cyclery

Ultegra peddles
blackburn airstick pump

Submitted by Papa_Bull a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2005

Strengths:    Exactly as advertised

Bottom Line:
I am hesitant to post my review, recognizing how some folks believe that companies that sell bikes over the internet post positive reviews of their bikes. None the less, I have decided to share my experience with Randall Scott.

First, I am new to cycling, so my knowledge was, and still is limited. I live in a small town in Oklahoma, but am lucky enough to have an LBS. However, the best the LBS could offer was a year old Cannondale R600. A good bike but I wanted mostly Ultegra components. When I asked my options, he continued to try and sell the Cannondale and not listen to me.

As a result, I went shopping over the Internet. I found companies that sold bikes that fit my needs. When I called Randall Scott, they were polite and appeared to be very knowledgeable. As a result I purchased a 2006 TRC 500 with mostly Ultegra components. The size I bought was a 58cm and they assured me if the bike did not fit, I could return it for a full refund or exchange it for a different size. Just to cover myself, I charged it so that I had recourse. They also recommended that since I was new, that I use there bike build program, which I did.

First, the bike came on time and as promised. The bike was extremely well packed, all parts wrapped in bubble wrap and well packaged. It took me longer to unwrap the bike than to assemble it. As far as assembly goes, all I had to do was attach the front wheel, front break, and seat post (saddle was attached). I also bought a Cateye computer with cadence. I had to figure out how to install the computer myself.

When I got the bike, I took it by my local bike shop, who understood my decision and he has helped me fit the bike. He recommended that I look at a new saddle since he felt the saddle would become uncomfortable on long rides and suggested a setback seatpost (short legs, long upper torso). He flipped the stem to an upright position, helped set the seat height, and moved the saddle back. Of course he also sold me shoes, shorts, top, and a new saddle.

I now have 200 miles on the bike and have made no adjustments. My LBS suggested that I bring it in so they could make sure everything is in good shape at 200 miles, but I have not done that yet. So far everything works fine.

The bike appears to be well made. I do not have a reference other than a test ride of the Cannondale, and 2 - 12 mile trips on a Shimano 105 equipped Bianchi. Based on that, the bike appears to ride very well, much smoother than the Bianchi.

Assuming someone decides to order a bike via the internet, I do believe Randall Scott provides quality bikes at a very good cost. That said, I intend to by a bike for my wife. I will by it from my LBS, based upon how cooperative he has been. I believe I just did a bad job of having him understand how sincere I was about buying a bike.

Favorite Ride:   @006 Tommaso TRC 500

Purchased At:   Randall Scott Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi

Submitted by mdenson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2005

Strengths:    Frame - semi compact with Aluminum/Carbon fork, stays, and seatpost.
Crank/drivetrain - 50/34 chainrings 12/25 10sp cogset
Light and responsive
$$$$$ - Incredible value at $1,200+, still a geat value at $1,500 - 1,600
Beautiful - if you like red/black!

Weaknesses:    ahven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
This is a 2006 bike. I have just received it and ridden it a few times now. I have been riding a Trek carbon 2200 for the last 10+ years. In short, I LOVE this bike. I wanted a bike that would update my bike and components to current and was looking potentially to move to a triple (Colorado, plenty of hills). I opted for this bike because it seemed to have all the features I was looking for at a very reasonable price, it was attractive, and I have never owned a Tommaso.

I am 6'2"/225 lbs, ride recreationally but what I consider aggressive recreational (usually 20-35mi. avg spd 15-18mph). The bike is light and also quick to respond. I was a little concerned that the frame (58, semi compact) might feel a little cramped - NO. It feels quite similar to my old bike, yet smoother. The smaller pebbles and cracks in the road seem to have left! The bottom bracket and cranks are nice and firm, a very nice feel. And the adds are right, you have to see and ride this bike to appreciate it, it is very nice to look at and feels just as nice riding. Heck, even the saddle is usable, although I will probably change it out before too long.

The gearing took a little getting used too, in fact I'm still kind of figuring it out; however, I am convinced I made the right decision. The gearing has the range to fill my need for climbing and going fast, without the need to go to a triple. The shifting is as smooth as I could ask for too!

I bought this on the internet, a big leap of faith for me! I was concerned about lot's of things. Randall Scott Bicycles has done a fabulous job! I paid the $59 fot their pro build service and it is worth every penny! The bike was easy to assemble (15min with one 5mm hex and a knife to unpack, pump to finish off the tires and I was riding). Some final adjustments to the bars while riding and filpping the stem, I like a little rise as opposed to drop, and I'm done! They also gave me some sound advice on sizing and took away my fears of getting a size I was unhappy with assuring me that I could test ride and if I wanted a different size they would happily exchange it! The bike was packed incredibly well and the turnaround was fast!

I have never had a $3,000+ bike so I can't compare to that. I do feel very happy with this bike. I was looking at $1,600 - 2,600 bikes with essentially the same build and components, but not the compact gearing that this one has. I feel like I got more bike, Ultegra componentry, and better technology in the gearing, plus a truly beautiful bike for $1,200+. I would sonsider this an incredible value.

Favorite Ride:   Tommaso TRC 500 (2006)

Purchased At:   Randall Scott Bikes