Trek 1.2 Road Bike

•Sizes - 43, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62cm
•Color - Metallic Black, Pearl White

Submitted by Nate W, recreational racer a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2015

Strengths:    Minimal frame flex under load. Corners well. Climbs and descends well. Comfortable geometry

Weaknesses:    Wheels/hubs/spokes. Sora/Sram mash-up drivetrain is adequate but wears out quickly. Pretty heavy. Tall head tube

Bottom Line:
Purchased the bike in summer 2013. I have never seriously ridden a road bike until I purchased this one. Been a MTB guy since I can remember. But, this bike has been everything I've needed and converted me from a dirt man to a roadie. Now, I ride and occasionally race this set up. But beware, there are some weaknesses. The no-name wheels are crap. Broken spokes, seized hubs, shot bearings etc. Had no idea how bad the wheels were until I performed a spin test contrasted with a set up on a low end Specialized allez and rode a low-end shimano set. Next, the low end Shimano/Sram drivetrain is a let down. I've replaced the cassette twice, the chain twice, and the bottom bracket once. Had I known better, I would've purchased the 2.1 with shimano 105. Over all though, I am very pleased. I easily keep up with or lead all the group rides I'm on with the bike. The other riders ride anything from new Madone 6 and 7 series, Sworks Tarmacs, Boardman 9.9 slr, and supersix evo hi-mods. With a couple upgrades, this bike will enable ANY rider to be their best. Frame never let's me down, easily climbing and descending grades pushing 25 to 30%. In summation, if you buy this bike and upgrade the wheels, you'll have miles of fun.

Favorite Ride:   King Ridge Gran Fondo

Submitted by Peter Westbrook a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2014

Strengths:    Price, saddle, cranks, forks

Weaknesses:    Wheels, bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
I bought the 2013 model in September of 2012. I've put just over 8000 miles on this bike since. If you're looking for an entry level road bike, the Trek 1.2 is perfect, but I'd recommend at least going up to the 2.1 or one with 105 components. This year I've replaced the saddle with a paradigm, I've also replaced the rear wheel. The stock rear hub wore out, and I had broken 3 spokes. I've also replaced the bottom bracket recently, keeping in mind that I've racked up over 8000 miles. Next season I plan on upgrading to a higher end bike, but will still keep this one around. It's got great maneuverability, climbs well, and handles lots of different road conditions with ease. This bike easily turned me into a road cyclist.

Favorite Ride:   Emigration Canyon

Purchased At:   Hyland Cyclery

Submitted by John Burney a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2013

Strengths:    light weight, carbon fork, great handling, very capable bike

Weaknesses:    drive train components, bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
I have about 200 miles on the bike so far. The bike is very light, rides well, handles great. Riding position is good. I have grown accustomed to the seat which was painful the first week or two.

From day one the drive chain made some noise in the upper gear ranges. Gradually it got bad enough that I took it in to LBS. They adjusted the front derailer and replaced the bottom bearing that had failed. Got it back and it ran flawlessly right up until the chain snapped in two.

I am hopeful the components will be more reliable going forward. When everything is working it's a wonderful bike to ride. In retrospect I probably would have gotten something with better driveline components.

Submitted by Alex

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great Price, handles really well, easily upgradable and little to no mainteneance required to keep the bike going.

Weaknesses:    Components, components and components, shifting is not set up for racing and brakes are weak

Bottom Line:
When I bought this bike back in 2009 I acutally thought I was buying a mid/average road bike. After riding an old Steel GIANT and an even heavier GMC, this bike was like a dream come true. But after doing all the research, I couldn't believe this was acutally considered just a recreational bike, not even close to a Madone or even used in the same breath as a "Racing Bike", yes on various occasions during my rides, I've been able to keep up with guys that own Madones from the 3s to the 6s. When these guys find out what I'm riding, they're not only in shock but a bit angered considering they spent thousands on thier bikes knowing that my under a $1,000 dollar bike is keeping up with these guys. So am I satisfied with this bike, you better believe it! Great bike for the price and I can keep up with the best of them! Makes no sense to spend any more cash except for the occasional upgrades....

Submitted by Jimmy McDaniel

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2012

Strengths:    Saddle, Crankset, Bang for buck deal

Weaknesses:    None that i have found except low quality components

Bottom Line:
Well, the only reason this bike got 4 stars out of 5 on value rating is because i could go to bikes and buy a bike for the same price and have full carbon ultegra. But i didnt, and it wasnt a mistake. This bike is a dream for me, being only 14 when i got it in july of last year, i put over 2000 miles on it before the end of september. everyone should have this bike.... ive trained on it and it has never given me trouble, ive raced it in sprint triathlons and 68 and 38 mile road races, and it has never fell short of my expectations.:) Hope you found this helpful