Trek 1.5 Road Bike

•Sizes - 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64cm
•Color - Pearl White/Trek Red

Submitted by McG a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2016

Strengths:    Frame is light and strong. Geometry is all day comfort.

Weaknesses:    Both derailleurs, cranks, wheel set, and brakes.

Bottom Line:
Took everything off the bike. Put on a Shimano compact double crank with just the outer 50t ring. Tectro dual pivot brakes. Old pair of Shimano 501 wheels that I installed ceramic bearings. 16t rear cog and Forte chain tension wheel. BOOM!! A single speed monster! Light (13lbs) and agile. Handles predictable and toss-able. The stiff frame makes it climb better than most single conversions. GRAB a used one and scrap the components and create your own single.

Favorite Ride:   TOSRV

Selle Italia SL saddle
Ultegra Pedals
SRAM Chain
Forte Single Speed chain tensioner
Surley Cogs (selection of 16, 17, and 18)

Submitted by Kuniaki Kageyama

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2014

Strengths:    Value price, light weight

Weaknesses:    Original wheels, Break Calipers

Bottom Line:
I bought Trek 1.5 as my first roadbike and have ridden more than 3000 miles. This is great bike...comfortable and stiff frame. The price around $1000 is very valuable.

After 2000 miles, I replaced original wheels to lighter ones. Then the bike has been much faster and easy to climb hills.

The stopping power of original break calipers is poor. Even I replaced to good pads, I didn't see an improvement. So I am replacing to shimano's one. The calipers to fit Trek 1.5 should be a long reach calipers (57mm). So selections are limited. Don't buy regular calipers, such as Shimano105 or Ultigra.

Submitted by david robins a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2013

Strengths:    Frame

Weaknesses:    wheels, seat,bb,

Bottom Line:
take the wheels / tyres off and throw in the bin along with the seat and factory chain as soon as you buy it. After thats done it is the best racing commuter available. Bb needs regular replacement along with drive chain but this is routine maintenace. Brillient frame a real giant killer. Axium race wheels and gps 4000s tyres are unbeatable on this frame. The tiaga groupset works well and will last longer than any other groupset. Brakes are stiff and dont flex. Cheap compedative bike.

Submitted by Dan a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2013

Strengths:    Lightweight (my 54 is 22lbs, take it as you will), affordable, decent groupset, comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    some flex, not a great wheelset

Bottom Line:
I have a 2011 Trek 1.5 that I got for about $800 dollars during an end of season super-clearance. I bought this bike as my first road bike, and have since gotten a new bike, a 2012 Orbea Orca Bronze Di2. I used the 1.5 as a race and training bike for several seasons, and have had no major issues with it. I only have one complaint and that is the wheels seem to get out of true fairly easily. I would chalk it up to hard, constant use though more than anything. The frame is fairly light weight and handles well. I did end up lowering the bars, but that is more personal preferance than a flaw in the bike. Other than that, I've only changed the bar tape after a couple of bad crashes. It does have some flex when you are really hammering it out of the saddle, but it is nothing most people should worry about. It is a great bike for someone looking to get into the sport, or to start racing.

Purchased At:   Omer and Bob's Sport

Similar Products Used:   Orbea Orca Bronze Di2

Bike Setup:   Shimano Tiagra groupset, FSA cranks, Bontrager saddle, seatpost, bars, and grip tape

Submitted by Barrett a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive, upgradeable, great beginner bike, not afraid to mess with it.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, shifting with front derailleur, wheels feel unresponsive.

Bottom Line:
2010 version. I really have enjoyed riding this bike the past 3 seasons. I ride mostly flat and rolling hills so the weight has not really been an issue but when I do climb I feel it (I weigh 68kg/150lbs). Standing in the pedals the wheels can feel a bit unresponsive and slow. I plan on upgrading them soon. It is a great entry level bike and has really allowed me to learn how to work on bikes because I am not afraid to mess with it. The front derailleur sucks. I have had major problems shifting into the small cog and even dropped the chain twice just before important climbs. Sometimes it would just freeze up and not allow me to shift. I have had it adjusted and adjusted it myself numerous times. The rear derailleur on the other hand I have never had to touch! The front brake also gave out after one season but my LBS replaced it on warranty.

I dropped the bars to a more agressive riding position after 2 seasons and it made a huge difference in how the bike felt. The geometry is rather relaxed but this is good for getting used to putting in the miles. I have the white paint job and I know now I will never own another white bike. Everything shows on the frame. I would go with a darker frame color.

Bike Setup:   2010 white/black. Shimano Tiagra.

Contests