Trek 1000 Road Bike

Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Aheadset
Front Der: Shimano Sora Triple
Crankset: Bontrager Sport, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Sora GS
Pedals: aluminum cage w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 25c Bontrager Select

Submitted by John Beasley

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2013

Strengths:    frame and geometry are great, solid, no flexing, fits perfect, rather light weight. The group on it was Sora Tiegra. I took it all off and put Shimano 105 group, 9 speed, triple, Campanolo Record chain, upgraded the rims to Rigida racing 2000, with 105 hubs, Union - BMW spokes. The bike rides like a dream. I like riding it better than my Carbon Trek 5200, but the 5200 has Campanolo Chorus Gruppo, which is flawless- like a Mercedes compared to the 105, which is like a sewing machine. This is an excellent frame and fork, the the Crane Creek headset on mine is outstanding

Weaknesses:    Not as light as carbon. Low cost of this bike makes it unlikely to get high end components. Trek seems to provide better than average frames and lower than average (for the money) components, so more than likely you will want to upgrade as much as possible.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for the money. Solid, dependable, great to ride long distances, I ride 50 miles each Sunday.

Submitted by Pre a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2013

Strengths:    Good all around bike

Weaknesses:    Probably would shift smoother w/ a double instead of a triple, almost not worth mentioning

Bottom Line:
Purchased bike fully decked out at pawn shop cyclometer,rack,fenders,pump Spd pedals etc. I bought this bike to ride from Seattle to Portland on. No issues. This bike may not win u the tour de france but it sure will make u feel like it. Great commuter & road training bike. Put well over 1000 miles on this bike. Defiantly a keeper.

Purchased At:   Pawn shop

Submitted by Graham

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2013

Strengths:    I have had a trek 1000 for @ 15yrs, I have used this special bike in all weathers, it has exceeded everything i want in a bike, in fact i would not swap it for anything. It is perfectly balanced goes like a dream, to be honest it is my mate, pure trust.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
I would advise anyone to invest in a Trek 1000, i can guarantee you will be more than happy. Don't hesitate if you have the chance to purchase one, get in there you will never regret it.

Submitted by Mostly Commuting a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    reliable, fun, can mount rack

Weaknesses:    None for my purposes

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2007-ish Trek 1000 used for $350, and I was a little worried because I had been warned about the shifters and had generally heard mixed things about the bike. But I couldn't be happier. I've used it pretty much every day for a year, for commuting over crappy roads (including in rain and snow), as well as for short bike camping treks. It's fantastic. I try to take care of it, but I certainly don't baby it--I've never taken it to a shop--and the shifters are just fine. By that I mean they work, every time. That's about all I look for in a shifter, so if your tastes are more refined you might feel differently, I really don't know. I'm even still riding the original tires, which were fine when I got the bike (it was somebody's weekend road ride for several years), but they need changing after this last year of abuse.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a great middle ground between hard core road bike and practical commuter--unlike a lot of other road bikes, you can put a rack on this one (I have one that I use for groceries and camping trips, and it beats a backpack). But it still cut my commute time in half when I switched from an old mountain bike. It's tough enough to handle serious potholes without feeling like it's going to break, and light enough for me to maneuver easily in my tiny apartment. I'm sure those with real road racing ambitious are skeptical for a reason, but I'd buy it again in a heartbeat and recommend it to anyone looking for a solid commuter bike.

Keep in mind that both front and back wheels are quick release (at least they are on my model), so either consider switching them or make sure you get a lock that can secure everything.

Submitted by Nepal Trekking guide&tour Guide Reviews

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2013

Strengths:    The ultimate compliment for Sanjib came from fellow trekkers we met along the way who remarked how lucky we were to have a guide so personable, knowledgeable and dedicated to us and our experience. We could not have agreed with them more. *...We did a 21 day Annapurna circuit, Annapurna base camp trek and Langtang Valley trek and having never trekked this length before, we were both novices. It is without a doubt, that had our guide been anyone other than Sanjib, we would not have had nearly the rich, authentic and thoroughly enjoyable experience we did. When trekking
with Sanjib we enjoyed:
* honest, knowledgeable and sincere discussions regarding anything from Nepal's history and current politics, local religions and culture history, to geography natural landscape and all Mountains Name
* a sensitivity and sensibility to allow a good balance between conversation and respecting an individual or couple’s need for privacy * over 9 years of trekking guide experience
* a respect for an individual’s desired pace and physical condition
* an intimate knowledge of the best accommodations, tea stops and places of interest along the way, according to our own individual budget
We would highly recommend any potential trekker in Nepal to enlist the services of Sanjib Adhikari. It is without a doubt that you will be richly rewarded if you do so Trek in Nepal his contact address is: sanjib-adhikari@hotmail.com and his website : www.nepalguideinfo.com http://www.hikehimalayas.com
facebook :http://www.facebook.com/sanjib.adhikari?ref=ts&fref=ts further picture

Silvana Pagani from Italy wrote in 2011: "My friend Sanjib Adhikari, Nepalse Guide

Silvana Pagani from Italy wrote in 2011 about my experience in Nepal and recommends as guide, Sanjib Adhikari.

Weaknesses:    Trekking hiking tour Travel mountain guides

with Sanjib we enjoyed:
* a respect for an individual’s desired pace and physical condition

This year at the end of february i went in Nepal for 18 days for the second time and i did a small trekking in the Annapurna region, I went to visit Pokhara, Kathmandu, Bakthapur and Nagarkot and I saw the National Park of Chitwan and in this trip I had the pleasure to meet Sanjib Adhikari.
He is an independent trekking guide and tour operator in Nepal and he has already obtained trekking guide license from the ministry of tourism, government of Nepal.
In his work Sanjib is a person very responsible and serious, very helpful and attentive to his customers, he knows very well the mountain because he has many years of experience and is also an excellent guide for visiting the cities.
He is someone very competent in his work and always ready to find the best solution, if necessary and speaks English very well.During the trekking and the tours he will tell you many interesting things about culture, about life in the villages, mountains, history and traditions in Nepal.
The best thing is that Sanjib loves his country very much and loves his work and always manages to convey all his enthusiasm with simple ways and always with the smile. He is a very nice person and is always attentive to the needs of his customers. Sanjib is also very funny and after this experience we became a very good friend. Next year at the end of January I will return for the third time in Nepal and Sanjib will be again my guide.
For these reasons I am very glad to report all references of Sanjib

Sarah and Ryan from Perth wrote in 2012
We have just returned from trekking the everest region in Nepal. It was our first time traveling to Nepal and our first experience trekking. We contacted our guide, Sanjib Adhakari after reading reviews from his previous clients and it was the best decision we made. Sanjib made our whole experience much easier and more enjoyable! From regular contact before our trip, to booking hotels and flights for us, organizing our holiday was a very effortless experience. Sanjib is not only very knowledgable and experienced at trekking, he has a great sense of humour that makes even those longer days walking more fun! I would highly recommend Sanjib and have actually already begun organizing our next trek with him.
Feel free to contact me at sarah_lyons@hotmail.com if you would like to know anything else or contact

Tracy Samassa wrote in 2012

I have just completed Mount Everest Base Camp trek. I decided not to go in a group, but just with a guide. I was recommended Sanjib Adhikari and contacted him 2 months before my intended departure. From the first time I made contact, he was so responsive. He answered all my questions and gave me all the advice and help I needed even before getting to Nepal. Nothing was too much for him.
I was travelling alone, and worried I might get lonely for so long. Sanjib could not do enough to make my trek a happy and successful one. Everything went exactly as planned, he was 100% honest and reliable and is very knowledgeable about the Nepal, trekking, the areas and the people.
He also speaks very good English and has a good sense of humour. Not only was the trip a success but he made it enjoyable and a memorable one.
I would highly recommend any potential trekker in Nepal use Sanjib Adhikari. It is without a doubt that you will be richly rewarded if you do so http://www.nepal-dia.de/int__England/EV_porter/ev_porter.html

kestrel rt 1000 105 worth today?

How much a used 2012 kestrel rt 1000 nowadays? happen to saw one on classified ads around 900$.Read More »

At what point - $1000 difference

First of all, about rider type - Only ride during good weather, run during bad weather, but I do live near the ocean so riding in overcast / misty weather does occur, but NO RAIN etc. Road quality is above average for most of my ride, although a few sections have some unevenness. 68.5 inches at 160 ... Read More »

1000 words.

.....[ATTACH=CONFIG]280012[/ATTACH]Read More »

Best wheelset for 1000 bucks or less.

I am finally going to spend some bucks on a nice wheelset. The bike, BMC roadracer with Ultegra. Currently i am running Fulcrum 5's with no issues. Just looking for something nice I wont have any problems with. I weigh in at 190-175 depending on the time of year. I dont race but like a smoot ... Read More »

First 1000 Miles in the Saddle

This week I just finished my first 1000 miles in the saddle. I have posted here in the past about my learning experience with my first bike and the growing pains (literally) of riding and learning. Well, this week I passed 1000 miles on my 2011 Diamondback Podium 3. I have had the bike since ... Read More »