Trek 2.1 Road Bike

4.48/5 (33 Reviews)

Trek's 2.1 boasts a lightweight Alpha Black aluminum frame with a road-carving carbon fork. The hill-conquering Shimano drivetrain and Bontrager's SSR wheelset will have you rolling farther and faster than you thought possible. Plus, it sports a fine selection of Bontrager components, too, including a comfy saddle and a carbon seatpost.

Submitted by Kyle a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2015

Strengths:    Lightweight, comfortable, plenty of gears.

Weaknesses:    Saddle.

Bottom Line:
Just bought this bike used (30 miles on it per owner), from the original owner for much less (about 1/3) of what was originally paid for it and Love it! I'm a newbie to road biking and this is my 2nd used bike purchase. I had this one fitted, changed the seat & bought pedals, clips & shoes. Huge difference after fitting and only cost $40 for fitting & $109 for new seat. I've been having a few issues with fatigue and hurting body parts so this should be corrected. The bike is in Mint condition and very fun to ride. Also love the blue/white color scheme. I highly recommend this bike if you can find used in the condition I did.

Favorite Ride:   Trek 2.1 Triple

Purchased At:   Individual

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2100 Pro Carbon

Bike Setup:   56cm

Submitted by Fred P

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2015

Strengths:    Strength- handles like a dream. Easy to work on. Very lightweight. Very fast compared to my Trek 7.2 Frankenstein bike lol

Weaknesses:    Had some creaks and clicks. ( fixed for now)

Bottom Line:
So this is an older bike, but it's my first legit Roadie.. I am 42 and started riding in1979 on a huffy progressing to BMX , Freestyle, and various Mtb over the years. I have been trying to destroy my trek 7.2 but it runs and runs - I am in Atlanta and that bike is a must have. Total chaos here. Anyways back to the review. Contacted a fellow off CL and agree upon date and time picked it up for $180 included computer and saddle bag. I almost couldn't believe it, but the guy had more $ than sense so I paid him and was on my way. I have ridden 50 miles this week on it and totally dig it. Very fast, nimble, light, looks cool. Decent components, good rubber, shifts well. Had a creak in it - was the pedals. Cleaned and lubed the cassette and chain, adjusted front derailers and am now good to go. I recommend this bike. It may be older but she has it where it counts.

Submitted by Lawrence Cleary a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2014

Strengths:    A really light aluminium/carbon frame (2009 iteration). Relatively light RSS wheels. Speed Trap cavity in fork. Feels as if it wants to go. Lively.

Weaknesses:    The aluminium steerer, and that Bontrager stopped selling replacement forks for Trek road bikes. The Crane Creek IS40 bearings suck. The corrode too easily. I had to heat the headtube up to get them out last time and ruined the decals on the front. I aim to replace the 40s with stainless steel 110s eventually. The lack of availability of replacement rims and hub parts. A bit on the heavy side (mostly due to the group set: no-name aluminium/steel calliper breaks, tiagra shifters, front deraileur, FSA crank, tiagra cassette and 105 rear dérailleur. The lack of a 53/39 crankset option. Weight.

Bottom Line:
Stock, 2009 2.1 was heavier than it needed to be. I've had the bike stripped down to just the frame, minus the fork, and it is light as a feather. Since my purchase in 2009, I have replaced the group set with Dura Ace 7900 across the board, including the pedals. I have also gone through a number of saddles in an attempt to find comfort on long trips. I have settled and am happy with the Bontrager Affinity RS. Just those two changes have brought the weight of the bike down by four pounds. I am currently building a set of wheels with Stan's No-tubes rims, Tune hubs and Sapim spokes that should bring the bike down another few pounds. I am aiming for 17lbs. My greatest frustration is that fork. I would love to replace it with a full carbon fork, but Bontrager no longer advertises their sale. I assume because of liability issues. So I may opt for ENVE or 3T carbon fork, stem, handle bars/seat post combo to finish the bike off. Of course, we're talking a paint job on the white/apple seed blue fade . A shame.

Overall, a good frame to build on! I wouldn't trade if for anything less then a Madone 5 series frame.

Submitted by Jeff Scott

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2013

Strengths:    Good bike for first 1,000 miles. Easy to work on.

Weaknesses:    Uncomfortable saddle, Poor stock wheels and tires, Lack of durability in components. Overall lack of durability.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike 3 years ago and have put over 5,000 miles on it. I immediately replaced the saddle as the stock saddle is really uncomfortable on long or multi-day rides. While it was a good bike for the first year or so, it has not held up well - I do not think it is a very durable bike. I've kept up with normal maintenance, but have had a lot of problems with the components over 3 years. I had to replace the wheels after about 1,000 miles - I am a 6'2" rider at 210 lbs and after 1,000 miles, they would not stay true - ended up with Mavic Ksyrium wheels and I love the Mavic wheels. The stock Bontrager wheels are way too flimsy for bigger riders. I've replaced the left shifter twice, the front derailleur once and the back derailleur once (as well as new chains every 1,500 miles and a new cassette at 3,500 miles). Every time I replace components, the bike works well for 250-500 miles but then starts shifting poorly or not shifting at all. Barrel (cable tension) and limit adjustments don't seem to fix the problem - it always ends up with component replacement. While this bike might be suitable for an occasional weekend rider, it just has not help up well for me. I've sunk well over $1,200 into repairs on this bike - with the money I've spent on purchase and repair, I would have been far better off to get a higher priced / more durable road bike. I am really disappointed in the lack of durability of the bike. I would not recommend this bike unless you have a shop nearby and a mechanic on speed dial.

Submitted by Brian Surguine

Date Reviewed: August 20, 2013

Strengths:    Great frame, mostly good stock components, 105 groupset works for a beginner racer. Slick colors and graphics.

Weaknesses:    Wheels are heavy, saddle hurts on longer (> 40 mile) rides

Bottom Line:
I've now had my 2.1 for 2 years. This was my first proper road bike - before this I stuck to mountain bikes. I went for the H2 fit in a 50cm frame size (I'm 5'6" and weight 145 lbs). I lowered the stem one spacer to get a slightly lower riding position.

The bike is fantastic. The frame is stiff, even while sprinting during criteriums. It climbs well, the ride is well damped, and handling is great. It can be a bit twitchy at lower speeds or while really sprinting hard and pulling on the handlebars (I figure most racing bikes are the same way), but it really rides beautifully when you just point it down a road and go. Cornering is very stable. This bike inspires confidence.

Given what you pay for this bike, you are going to run into some compromises. The groupset is not 100% 105, but everything has held up well. The wheels are very, very heavy - I weighed the front wheel and I estimate it at a touch over 1 kilogram without tire and tube. However, they are sturdy wheels, and you can depend on them. (They also look pretty sweet.) Train with the heavy stock wheelset and switch to a lighter set for racing, and you'll really fly. The saddle is fine for shorter rides, but anything over an hour becomes painful. I'm now in the process of finding a good saddle for longer efforts.

In summary, I love my bike. Yes, there are nicer, more expensive bikes, but for where I am as a novice racer and for a first road bike, this was a great choice and a great value. I would upgrade the wheels and saddle and save up for a dream bike, like a Time or Pinarello, but I'd still ride this one. It's a dependable companion.

Favorite Ride:   Anything near Lake Michigan

Purchased At:   Wheels in Motion, An

Bike Setup:   Fitted at the LBS when I got it. Get good bib shorts.