Trek 2.3 Road Bike

•Sizes - 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64cm
•Color - Pearl White/Platinum

Submitted by tuco a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2015

Strengths:    I recently bought a 2013 Trek Madone 54. I bought the bike because a carbon frame bike I recently purchased rear derailer malfunctioned. It damaged the frame. Luckily I purchased it from Performance bikes. I received a full refund.

I am close to 60 years old and back in the day I would compete with a Trek 1500 with down shifters. That bike is still in great shape and I used it for the Hotter Hell Hundred ride for years 2012 and 2013.

For 2014 I bought the Trek Domane 2.0. The aluminum version of that model. You could ride all day with that bike. It's like an old fasion Cadillac, in the sense once you get going you don't want to stop.

I needed something I thought would be faster in order to ride with the Tower racing guys. The Fuji SST 3.0 was my choice and was a great bike. The frame issue i mentioned earlier put me in the market for a new racing type bike. I asked around and all agreed that at my age and weight an expensive carbon bike would be a marginal improvement in speed performance. I felt more comfortable with aluminum and Trek bikes so I was able to find the 2013 model Madone 2.3. I used the bike for the Sub 5 event in Illinois. The bike was great, felt very good all day.

I weigh around 205 pounds which I know is huge for cycling. Which means I can only blame myself when I was unable to stick with riding groups.

The great thing about the Madone is cornering. I felt very confident taking tight turns. I am writing this in early October 2015 and my goal is to enter more crits in the Cat 5 category and just have fun and be competitive. I feel with the Madone I can do that. Anyway that is the goal.

Weaknesses:    I really can't think of any. Other reviews mentioned saddle issues. I have been on a lot worse and did not have an issue with the Madone.

I realize I bought the bike new 2 years after it came out but I would liked to have bought red color bike. Not a big deal since the bike looks great in black and blue finish.

Bottom Line:
This is the bike to get if you are looking for a steady performer. I am not worried as much about crashes as I was with the carbon frame bike. The price is very affordable.

The bike looks great, rides great and will generate confidence entering corners.

I hope this helps

Favorite Ride:   Hotter Hell Hundred

Purchased At:   J and M cycles in Vi

Submitted by Jim a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2013

Strengths:    105 components

Bottom Line:
I have 1800 miles and have had no problems. I purchased new tires and a chain. Never had a flat. The bike has worked flawlessly. (Is that a word) this bike has minimal spokes and coast past any other bike. Great bike

Submitted by wm of SF

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2012

Strengths:    I ran over a deer on highway 84 in the Santa Cruz Mountains

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
"The Goat" has been some incredible number of thousands of miles and has provided an excellent bike for flying through the mountains. The only thing I recommend is to use Specialized Armadillo tires so you'll never get a flat. I ran over a deer on this bike and didn't crash. Excellent handling.

Submitted by Bubbadidit a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2012

Strengths:    Great price for a bike with full Shimano 105 components- beats what comes on the 3.1 and 4.5 (brakes, wheels, and cranks).

Weaknesses:    The aluminum frame doesn't have the coolness factor that the carbon frames do. However, if you nick or scratch the aluminum frame, you can sell it without a problem; I'm not sure you can say the same about a bike with a carbon frame.

Bottom Line:
I purchased a 2011 Trek 2.3 from Jax Bicycles about a month ago (January 2012) for $1340 OTD with a 3 year Red Shield protection plan. I sold a Trek Madone 4.5 last year, but missed road cycling, so within a few months I was looking for a replacement. I went back and forth between the 2.3 and 3.1 (the 4.5 was no longer in my price range) and decided on the 2.3 after I hung the 2.3 and 3.1 on a scale at the bike shop. Both bikes were 56cm and weighed the same (19.3 lbs without pedals). With pedals and two water bottle cages, my 2.3 weighs approximately 20.3 lbs. I threw on some "free" Race X lite wheels and got it down to 19.3 lbs. I am impressed with the ride quality and have not noticed the difference between the carbon and aluminum frames, even when riding with the stock wheels. I do, however, notice improved braking performance and feel with the 2.3 (105 brakes) over the 3.1 and 4.5 brakes. If you are looking to save weight by going with a carbon frame, you'll probably have to start shopping in the Madone 5-series, which will include better components, before you see a noticeable difference. Although, it is going to come with a much higher price tag.

Favorite Ride:   Varies

Purchased At:   Jax Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek Madone 4.5
Gary Fisher HiFi Carbon (MTB)
Giant AC Air Lite (MTB)

Bike Setup:   All stock, except the Race X Lite wheels

Submitted by baysailor a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2011

Strengths:    Light, strong, quick.

Weaknesses:    While the carbon fork and stays soften the ride, it's not as comfortable a ride as my old steel bike. However, it's much more maneuverable and, of course, lighter.

Bottom Line:
This was a gift from my brother-in-law, who upgraded to a carbon bike. This has been a great bike for me -- 6'2", 250 -- as I work on getting back in shape. It's quick, comfortable, and strong. Not built for the Tour de France, but a great training/recreational bike for the above-average cyclist.

Favorite Ride:   local residential loop