Trek 5000 Road Bike

• Bontrager Race Lite 53/39 or 52/42/30 Crankset
  • Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur

Submitted by JODY JOHNSEN a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2016

Strengths:    Light, strong, tall enough for my long legs with the most impressive shifting mechanism I've seen and it is fast!!!

Weaknesses:    It's short in the front, so I feel like I'm moving head first into traffic so I swapped out the handlebars for a taller aluminum pair. I'm much happier with it now.

Bottom Line:
I just bought this bike used from a retailer in Miami. I nearly bought an English touring bike but the owner answered the phone leaving me alone. I picked up both bikes and carried them around for a minute simulating carrying it up a flight of stairs. I fell in love with the Trek. I don't race so I took off the racing tires, handlebars and pedals. What an amazing street bike it has become. This is my first graphite, it's tall, fast and I am delighted with it! For those considering a Trek racer, I am over 50, female, frugal and active. So if you are too I recommend the 5000!!

Purchased At:   Belen's Bike Co Miam

Submitted by Michael S. Mathis a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2016

Strengths:    Stiff and light and very responsive and can carry a heavy man.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike new in 2003 and have put 15K + miles on it in races and mostly training rides throughout Texas and New Mexico. I liked the paint scheme over a specialized, which was a little lighter by .3 lbs.. This one weighed in at 16.6 lbs in a 54cm frame. Talk about a smooth ride. I road a Schwinn Letour 50 miles one day when I was in my late 20's and thought I would die even though I had been riding 20 miles several times a week. At 50, after buying this bike and riding if for a couple of weeks, I rode 60 miles and could not believe that I did not die! lol A great bike for my first carbon bike and one that I will keep until I cannot ride anymore. Thanks Trek for a great ride! I am now in the process of upgrading this one into a compact x 11 speed to ride in Thailand where I now live. For the money, I cannot find a replacement Trek near as light as this one so that is why I am upgrading this frame.

Favorite Ride:   Superfly 9.6

Purchased At:   Pro Bike Bangkok, Th

Similar Products Used:   Trek Superfly 9.6 mtb hardtail, Trek 6300 mtb, and a Trek Gary fisher Advanced mtb.

Bike Setup:   Stock right now but upgrading to compact x 11 speed Shimano 105

Submitted by richard

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2013

Strengths:    Exellent and I have one for sale 619) 634-5904

Weaknesses:    None I have an extra one for sale

Bottom Line:
Am located in rancho bernardo am a student and I have a trek 5000 for sale exellent condition 1000 for it thanks will mail it u pay the cost thank you.

Submitted by Frank Bandelow a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, Durability, Nice to look at.

Weaknesses:    Some of the original parts, seat, wheels etc.

Bottom Line:
I have had this ride now for 5yrs, and I always threaten to upgrade, never have and probly never will. The $2300 are cdn funds. This ride and I have an understanding...it's great when you get to this level with a ride. When I first got it I went down twice...HARD...lots of skin left on asphalt and destoyed so nice kits. The bike suffered a few minor scatches that Mercedes silver touched up nicely. I cycle about 4500k per year, lots of hills and distances. This ride preforms awesomely. Its a frame that,over time, will lend itself to many nice upgrades without dropping a small fortune on a new ride.

Favorite Ride:   Norht Okanagan

Purchased At:   Sun Country Cycle

Similar Products Used:   None really, tried this and that but kept coming back

Bike Setup:   SP Alias Saddle,Dura Ace front and rear deraillers, Dura Ace shifters, Ritchey Compact, Ultegra 12-28 cluster,(for the mountains) Ksyrium Elite wheels, Conti 4000s, Gore cable systm, Shimano pedals

Submitted by LMA a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2010

Strengths:    High carbon frame quality for the money. It is worthy to do upgrades as needed.

Weaknesses:    Bontrager components, except the seatpost

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in Sept 2004, as a 2005 model. It is the OCLV 120 frame with OCLV 110 fork. So, after more than 5 years of training and racing on it, I guess, I can give my feelings about it. This review will be more on the frame which is worthy of future upgrades, than in the bontrager components, which I think, are of low quality in general, at leats in these price range. I've put on the miles (2500-3000/year) and the frame looks to be able to take it in stride, able to hold true over the long haul on rough training roads.The best advantage about this bike geometry is its ablity to climb, and accelerate in intervals as go up.

Favorite Ride:   BrassTown Bald