Trek Madone 3.1 Road Bike

4.59/5 (17 Reviews)
MSRP : $2089.00

World-class carbon performance starts here. For the discriminating sport-level rider who wants to squeeze every ounce of performance out of his/her budget.

Submitted by Michael Kavanagh

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2013

Strengths:    A very light bike that handles well on all roads. Gearing is quite good too. A strong bike that gives you plenty of confidence. It looks well and has a very nice hard finish that stands up well to all kinds of road wear.

Weaknesses:    I find the saddle a real pain over long distances (50km+), I've decided to change it for something a bit easier on the butt!! The wheels are heavy and a bit of a 'let down' in comparison to the rest of the components and also the brakes could do with an upgrade.

Bottom Line:
The bike is good value for money and handles very well. It's a pity that they did not go 'the extra mile' regarding the wheels, I would recommend this bike over some of its rivals, but I feel that there is room for improvement!

Wingman

Submitted by ziconater a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2013

Strengths:    Great climber, stiff bottom bracket, very comfortable ride. Did I mention it's a great climber? Wow

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2013 model. My last bike was Cannnondale CAAD10, which was amazing ride as well, but unfortunately ended up being too stiff for anything past 40-50 miles. So in comes the Madone, and I am very, very happy with the decision. The geometry places me in a more upright position, but still allows me to be aero on the drops. The three places it excels at are on hilly descents, climbs and long rides. I was really impressed with the power transfer when going up several steep hills around here, and equally impressed on the way down. The ride is very composed, if the makes any sense, and allows you to just relax and ride.

Just fy--- I got rid of the stock seatpost and handlebars, and also switched out the Bontrager wheels to my existing Shimano RS80 wheelset. That made a huge difference, and the bike potential really came out.

Favorite Ride:   all of them

Purchased At:   Summit Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bikes I've owned--- Giant TCR Composite, Cannondale Carbon Synapse, Cannondale CAAD10

Bike Setup:   Shimano RS80 Wheels, Deda seat post and stem, and FSA compact handlebars.

Submitted by Antonio Guidi a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Strengths:    The quality and the comfort of frame is very good
The price is affordable

Weaknesses:    the front derailleur is Tiagra istead of 105

Bottom Line:
I wanted a bike that can be ridden year round over many kilometers and I now Got it!

Favorite Ride:   Italian Alps

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Pavia (Italiy)

Submitted by Steve G Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2013

Strengths:    For an entry level Carbon Road Bike the 3.1 is great value for money
It's light and feels realy strong with a very smooth ride the 2012 model
looks fantastic

Weaknesses:    None realy i'd recomend this bike to any one starting out road riding
The same components for the handlebars to rear wheels would be good
but they must mix and match to keep the price down

Bottom Line:
This bike is a pleasure to ride overall i could'nt be happier it seams perfect
for the distance i cover 50 to 100 ks rides
( by the way i cant find a problem with the saddle it works well in my part of the world )

Submitted by AlanL a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    Light and tossable, handles bumpy roads much better than a metal frame

Weaknesses:    Saddle is hard and Wheels seem heavy when climbing

Bottom Line:
I got back into riding after about 11 years. While my 2000 model year Trek 2000 was a nice bike, I always felt it was too big for me (58cm frame) so when I found a new 2010 Madone 3.1 (56cm frame) on sale for under $1500 at my LBS in Oct 2012, I jumped on it. I could immediately feel the difference with how well the Madone cushions the bumps. and how much lighter it felt than the 2000 (even though the weight difference probably isn't very much). I'm finding the Madone to be great for the New Hampshire hills. I only got in about 250 road miles on it before the cold and snow came, but I'm very happy with the bike in general. so far.

I upgraded the saddle to a Fi'zi:k Aliante after the first 100 miles or so because the stock saddle was a brick. The wheels are cheap and heavy and those are the only other planned upgrades.

I would buy this bike again.

Trek Madone 2.1 vs Trek Madone 3.1

I'm new to road cycling coming off from MTB. After test-riding all kinds of bikes, including Cannondale Caad 10 5, I narrowed down my list to two Trek Madones, 2.1 and 3.1. Noticeable difference between the two is the frame. The 2.1 is aluminum and 3.1 is carbon fiber. Both bikes come with Shimano 1 ... Read More »

~$500 wheel upgrade for Madone 3.1

I am getting ready to purchase a 2012 Madone 3.1 Apex that my LBS has on sale. This purchase will my first road bike, and will also mark my return to cycling after a 10 year hiatus. I test rode a couple bikes, one with a 105 group and the other with Apex—personally I liked the Apex better, so I am ... Read More »

Chain Catcher for Madone 3.1 WSD

I am looking to add a chain catcher to my girlfriend's 2011 Madone 3.1 WSD. Has anyone added a chain catcher to one of these? If yes, what make/model? And, How did it work out? The bike has a Sram Apex compact crank and a 34.9mm clamp-on 105 front derailleur. The derailleur linkage comes very clo ... Read More »

Trek CrossRip vs Trek Madone 3.1 vs Domane 4.0

Need help on which bike is better! I will use it for commuting, light races with friends, maybe a road trip, etc. So basically it will be used for leisure and fitness and not professionally. Comfort>SpeedRead More »

Madone 3.1 wheel weight

How much do the wheels on my 3.1 weigh? I am wondering how much weight I can save with a new set of wheels.Read More »