Trek Madone 3.1 Road Bike

4.56/5 (18 Reviews)
MSRP : $2089.00

World-class carbon performance starts here. For the discriminating sport-level rider who wants to squeeze every ounce of performance out of his/her budget.

Submitted by Don w. a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2014

Strengths:    Carbon fiber and rear cassette were my main reason of getting rid of my Focus bike. The difference was amazing, I find the ride way more comfortable and since I mainly do hills, going from a 26 to a 30 rear cassette was like day and night and the Trek is almost 3 lbs. lighter. Makes climbing ALMOST a joy.

Weaknesses:    Man, those Bontrager wheels are the worst set of rims of my previous two bikes. Like riding with the brakes on. Put on some Forte's off my old bike and made a big difference. The seat isn't really a problem in fact it's no different than my other ones. Front shifter is OK the back 105 is better and the brakes seem OK.

Bottom Line:
After upgrading the wheel set the bike is something I look forward to ride for many miles. I like it!

Favorite Ride:   Mt! RUBIDOUX

Purchased At:   Cyclery USA

Submitted by Michael Kavanagh

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2013

Strengths:    A very light bike that handles well on all roads. Gearing is quite good too. A strong bike that gives you plenty of confidence. It looks well and has a very nice hard finish that stands up well to all kinds of road wear.

Weaknesses:    I find the saddle a real pain over long distances (50km+), I've decided to change it for something a bit easier on the butt!! The wheels are heavy and a bit of a 'let down' in comparison to the rest of the components and also the brakes could do with an upgrade.

Bottom Line:
The bike is good value for money and handles very well. It's a pity that they did not go 'the extra mile' regarding the wheels, I would recommend this bike over some of its rivals, but I feel that there is room for improvement!

Wingman

Submitted by ziconater a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2013

Strengths:    Great climber, stiff bottom bracket, very comfortable ride. Did I mention it's a great climber? Wow

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is for the 2013 model. My last bike was Cannnondale CAAD10, which was amazing ride as well, but unfortunately ended up being too stiff for anything past 40-50 miles. So in comes the Madone, and I am very, very happy with the decision. The geometry places me in a more upright position, but still allows me to be aero on the drops. The three places it excels at are on hilly descents, climbs and long rides. I was really impressed with the power transfer when going up several steep hills around here, and equally impressed on the way down. The ride is very composed, if the makes any sense, and allows you to just relax and ride.

Just fy--- I got rid of the stock seatpost and handlebars, and also switched out the Bontrager wheels to my existing Shimano RS80 wheelset. That made a huge difference, and the bike potential really came out.

Favorite Ride:   all of them

Purchased At:   Summit Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Bikes I've owned--- Giant TCR Composite, Cannondale Carbon Synapse, Cannondale CAAD10

Bike Setup:   Shimano RS80 Wheels, Deda seat post and stem, and FSA compact handlebars.

Submitted by Antonio Guidi a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2013

Strengths:    The quality and the comfort of frame is very good
The price is affordable

Weaknesses:    the front derailleur is Tiagra istead of 105

Bottom Line:
I wanted a bike that can be ridden year round over many kilometers and I now Got it!

Favorite Ride:   Italian Alps

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Pavia (Italiy)

Submitted by Steve G Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2013

Strengths:    For an entry level Carbon Road Bike the 3.1 is great value for money
It's light and feels realy strong with a very smooth ride the 2012 model
looks fantastic

Weaknesses:    None realy i'd recomend this bike to any one starting out road riding
The same components for the handlebars to rear wheels would be good
but they must mix and match to keep the price down

Bottom Line:
This bike is a pleasure to ride overall i could'nt be happier it seams perfect
for the distance i cover 50 to 100 ks rides
( by the way i cant find a problem with the saddle it works well in my part of the world )