Trek Madone 4.7 Road Bike

• Wheels: Bontrager Race
  • Crank: Shimano Ultegra 50/34 or 52/39/30

Submitted by Liberty555

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2015

Strengths:    Light weight, great frame and truly great component set. Good value wheels, reliable finishing kit.

Weaknesses:    Cheaper and perhaps better value bikes out there (although I got mine as a MY14/15 changeover run-out for a bargain!). Saddle showing signs of wear after only 500km but certainly no deal breaker!

Bottom Line:
For the last few years I've solely ridden mountain bikes, taking part in a number of short and long course XC and endurance events. I love my mountain biking, but with work and family commitments I was having trouble getting out regularly enough to keep up a reasonable level of fitness and my enthusiasm was waning as a result - my fitness was not keeping up with my expectations of performance.

After spending months and thousands of kilometers riding my mountain bike on the road to try and make up the fitness deficit I decided it was time to get a more suitable steed...

I tried lots of bikes. The really desirable models were outside my budget (of course) and if mountain biking had taught me anything its that to a point, you get what you pay for! I tried the new 2015 Giant Defy models (my MTB is a Giant) but they left me feeling a bit cold... like getting into a mid range Nissan or Toyota... they do everything right but with no sense of charisma or passion.

After walking into my local store and describing my dilemma, I was invited to "walk this way" expecting to be shown the latest bells and whistles all singing and dancing model I was shown the 2014 Trek Madone 4.7. It looked too expensive for me. I smiled and said "Maybe when I save out some more sheckles..." but was very pleasantly surprised by the price tag.

After a quick series of measurements I was pointed to the 56cm frame and invited for a test ride. Immediately there was more of a sense of connection with the bike (not just the price... it was actually still more expensive than the Giant Defy i'd test ridden...) and it actually felt right.

Its been said millions of times but I'll say it again... the full Ultegra 6800 kit is peerless in this price range. Precise, light, crisp and very nice to look at!

The wheels are Bontrager Race TLR with a Bontrager R2 tyre. Stem is Bontrager as are the saddle and bars - they are all good performers if not light weight... plenty of options for later upgrades!

In the first three weeks of ownership I wracked up 550km and have not looked back. My fitness is up, my enjoyment of cycling is up and I couldn't be happier. The frame is stiff - super stiff but seems to soak up road chatter with aplomb. Weighing in around the 90kg mark I can generate a decent load on the cranks but the frame and wheels do a stellar job of transferring that to the road.

My final comment would be a general one for anyone thinking of getting a road bike - get yourself a bike fit carried out by a professional like a physio or similar. I thought it felt comfortable until I had the bike fit - now its on another level. Do it.

Submitted by PC Mountain a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2014

Strengths:    versatility

Weaknesses:    frequent derailleur adjustment

Bottom Line:
The 2014 Trek Madone 4.7 is a great all around, do everything well bike. You could race crits on this bike but it’s also great for climbing, training, and long rides. It’s stiff and fast but the geometry isn’t so aggressive that you’ll get sore on a long ride. Yes you’ll feel slightly more road chatter than you would on a true endurance bike like a Cannondale Synapse but it’s not bad.The Madone is racy but not uncomfortable. It has full Ultegra 11 speed components which is a huge plus. So many manufacturers downspec some of the parts, especially the brakes. This bike has Ultegra brakes and they’re great. Of course being full Ultegra you’ll pay a littler more. I like the 11 speed drivetrain although I’m finding that the derailleur needs more frequent adjustment than the one on my 10 speed. Handling is fast and the wheels are even decent. I like the stock saddle although I did swap it out for a Fizik Antares. I still use the Bontrager saddle though on my trainer bike. The Bontrager R2 tires are soft, pliable, and very easy to work with but get cuts easily. I wouldn’t use them again. My only complaint is the seat post. The single bolt design is easy to adjust but can tilt forward or backward a little too easily if you exert too much force (like by hitting a pothole or something). And I weigh 145 pounds so I imagine heavier guys would have this problem even more.

Purchased At:   Trek Estero

Submitted by Robin

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Strengths:    This is a fantastic bike. OK there may be better but this is the bike I own and love to ride it all the time. When I have a spare moment and the weather is inviting this bike just makes you want to get out and put some miles/kms. The smoothness of the pick up, confidence and responsiveness make a grown man like a school boy again. The bike is well made and will take the odd bash, the gear change is quick and predictable and the riding position can be taylored to suit. If you have the money consider this bike and it might just bring a smile to your face each time you get on it.

Weaknesses:    I have not really seen any weaknesses yet. I find the saddle ok but most of my rides are 2 hours or so in length - not sure what all day might do. I did not like the white handle bar tape - so have changed this to black (ok so now I am getting really picky which means it must be a good bike).

Bottom Line:
A great bike and particularly a great first carbon bike!

Submitted by mrfroad

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2013

Strengths:    Geometry, color scheme, responsiveness, overall ride.

Weaknesses:    The seat sucks

Bottom Line:
The 2010 madone 4.7 is the best bike I have ever owned. I was skeptical about shelling out that kind of money for a mere bike but once I took it on its maiden voyage, the penny-pinching me went out the window. The ride was unbelievably smooth, even for a bike with no suspension. It shifts perfectly and climbs very well. it seems to have been built for long, lazy rides but with the ability to dish out spurts of speed on straightaways. As mentioned above, the stock seat is crap, even after over 500 miles put on it. I had to replace it with a Specialized Toupe saddle. That was the only replacement I needed, although some better wheels would be nice but I wasnt about to shell out $800 to lose 200g on the wheels. Seeing that that is about half the price I paid for the bike itself. If you want a good road bike for a reasonable price, look no further than the Madone 4.7. My bike weighs in at about 19lbs fully loaded for a 54cm. If you want a lighter bike and are willing to shell out the dough, get a 6.9ssl, but it will cost you around 3 or 4 times as much

Submitted by David B

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2012

Strengths:    Lightweight - this bike wants to go! Shifting is smooth and accurate.

Weaknesses:    Saddle - even after 100 miles of riding, the saddle was still uncomfortable, I had to replace it.
Handlebars - I miss the flat spot on the drops, and they seem to end a half-inch too soon.

Bottom Line:
This summer I upgraded from a 2006 Trek 1200 SL Aluminum to a 2010 Madone 4.7, and I'm loving this bike. That said, I just couldn't get use to the saddle and had to replace it. Also, the handlebars on my 1200 were better than the ones on the Madone - they had an anatomical flat spot on the drops that was great for gripping. The Madone drops seem to quit too soon, I'd have liked another half-inch or so, I just feel it's too short. The duotrap compatibility is great. Overall, high marks for this bike.

Trek Madone 4.7 vs Trek Domane 4.7 vs customized Colnago CLX3.0

Hi, I'd like your opinions on which bike I should buy! [B]What I'm looking for:[/B] - General purpose road bike, but will be used for triathlon/time-trial rides up to 90km as well, until (if ever) I buy a time-trial bike - Comfortable ride: fit is very important to me, I have some back problems, ... Read More »

2013 Madone 4.7 or 2012 Supersix 3

Hi! I want to upgrade my Cannondale CAAD 8 (Sora) that I've had for the past year. I've been looking at the Madone 4.7 for a while but found out today that a LBS is giving a very good price on the 2012 Cannondale SuperSix 3. They are both full Ultegra, with the Supersix having a FSA SL-K cra ... Read More »

Madone 4.7 SS - What to do with a spare frame!!

The boys at CYCO - great shop - finished it this week and I've just had the first ride. Now I have the 6.2 with 105 gears for Sunday mornings and this one to ride to the pub & work. [ATTACH=CONFIG]279845[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]279846[/ATTACH] It has: Vision bars with a Soma brake lever & ... Read More »

Trek Madone 4.7

New to the forum, but looking for a little buying help! Local bike shop has a womens Trek Madone 4.7 at a great deal for just short of 1200$ out the door. I've determined that a 56 is the ideal size for me, and this is a 56 and felt great on the short ride I took it for. Are there any concerns with ... Read More »

2013 Madone 4.7 vs 5.2

I'm a bigger guy 6'3" 210 and I'm a little worried about the ISP in the 5.2. I may be just paranoid. Is there a big difference in the carbon? I mostly ride mtb, but started riding more and more road to train. I'm due for a road upgrade and can't decide between the 2 bikes. Hopefully you all can giv ... Read More »