Trek Madone 5.1 Road Bike

• Crank: Shimano Ultegra 50/34 or 52/39/30
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano Ultegra

Submitted by TiCoyote

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2013

Strengths:    Price (on sale for $2400)
Light weight
Stiffness
Value
Internal cable routing

Weaknesses:    UGLY paint job (white and orange)
Sluggish in turns
Uninspiring acceleration
Rival components (personal preference)

Bottom Line:
First let me say that I test rode this bike, but didn't buy it. I also didn't particularly have a great experience with the shop, which is part of the reason why I didn't buy the bike. Also, they set it up for me far less aggressively than my own bike it set up, so that made the ride feel sluggish, and the bike wasn't properly tuned. I'm sure that had these factors been different, I would have had a different experience and been more willing to purchase the bike.

Anyway, the paint job was a big turnoff, and I'm a Shimano guy, so that was two strikes against it.

However, at $2400, this bike was a great deal, and I'm sure I could have been very happy with it. It's stiff and light. The internal cable routing is classy. If you like Rival, that's a selling point. Trek makes so many components in-house through Bontrager, that you get a lot of bike for the buck.

Overall, this bike feels stiff, solid, and fast. I rode other bikes that were smoother, and other bikes that were more responsive, but this one is pretty good all around.

That being said, I also rode a Cannondale SuperSix 3. It was the same price, but it blew this one out of the water.

Submitted by Guy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2012

Strengths:    Light weight for this price range, SRAM Rival, stiff and yet comfortable (H-2 fit), wheels are just above entry level, good for this price. Handles exceptionally well, tracks true with no wobble on descents, does not accelerate like the Cervelo S-2, but more comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Not a fan of Bontrager saddles, replaced it with a Selle Italia.

Bottom Line:
Bought this bike, a 2011, after the 2012's were out, and paid $1999.00. Could not be happier with my purchase. When i drop the wheel weight down to 1500 grams and replace the handlebar with a carbon one, this bike should be just under 17lbs. Burnt Orange color take's getting used to, but it grows on you. This is a lot of bike for the price i paid. This Bike is outstanding for sponsored recreational rides (do about 15 or so a year) and commuting. My wife and i both ride about 3,000. miles a year.

Favorite Ride:   Tour de Poway

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Yucaipia Bike Center

Similar Products Used:   Trek 2.1 2007

Bike Setup:   Stock so far, will upgrade wheels.

Submitted by AJ a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2011

Strengths:    Fast, great control, light

Weaknesses:    Seat

Bottom Line:
I must say that trek madone 4.5 is totally awesome. I started biking 1.5 years back with trek 7.1fx and wanted more speed. I ride it on the road for commute as well as trails and hilly roads. I enjoy the speed as well as control it gives me. I am amazed to see how far the bike goes without peddling. I replaced the seat with a cushion seat from bontranger, and that's it. It is a superlight and a fast bike, definitely great for a newbie. I can't wait to ride it every weekend.

Similar Products Used:   trek 7.1fx, department bikes

Submitted by vfrrider17 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    Great frame OCLV (Built in WI!!!!), Ultegra group, Good price, Light weight compared to its competitors, super smooth ride

Weaknesses:    Every part that says "Bontrager" on it.

Bottom Line:
After a a few years of mt. biking I felt I needed a road bike to train on. The 08 Madone 5.1 was the ticket. Very smooth ride, great groupo, and just looks fast! As stated, its not a full blown race machine, but if one adjusts the ergonomics, it can be greatly changed. I put about 100 miles on it a week with no problems. You can ride this in a race or century with no problmes. I personly call it the "leatherman" of the trek road bikes, does everything well. Plus, with a lifetime frame warranty, 5 yr. wheel warranty, and two year shimano warranty, its a solid buy. If you don't plan on racing all the time, save a few dollars and buy the 5.1 instead of the 5.2

Favorite Ride:   Big HILLS!!!!

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Trek LBS

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo S1, look 566, Madone 5.2, a few steel frames,

Bike Setup:   3T steam, SPD pedals, conti 4000 grand prix tires

Submitted by Adam Versteege a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2009

Strengths:    Trek's great build quality, lifetime warranty on frame & 5 year warranty on wheels.

Weaknesses:    Wheels (Bontrager Race) - too heavy, out of true, prone to cracking.
Seat Post - slips when adjusted to max torque.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the 2008 Madone 5.1 back in July this year. I bought the bike for training & criteriums and have just started racing with it. I'm 5'10 and weigh 72kg. Overall i'm very impressed with the build quality and finish of the US built frame. The bike is so compliant when ridden on rough surfaces, I have often thought my tyre pressures were too low. Given that this is my first bike used for racing, there are a few things which need some attention.

FIT: The "performance" fit version (the one I have) is not quite aggressive enough for racing, I have adjusted the stem to the lowest position but am still a little too high, although it makes the ride super comfortable when training.

WHEELS: The Bontrager Race wheels are very heavy, my front wheel has started to go out of true, the spoke tensions are in-consistent. These wheels are prone to cracking, I have done 2500km so far but am concerned that these wheels will crack at some point. At least they are covered by a 5 year warranty. The OEM tyres are very average also, but I guess you can expect that to keep the price of the bike at a reasonable level.

SEAT-POST: The carbon clamped seatpost looks great, but i've had problems with the post slipping down even when the set screws are at maximum permitted torque (8Nm).

Favorite Ride:   Dandenongs, Victoria

Purchased At:   Grand Prix Cycles, V

2014 Giant Propel Advanced 1 vs. 2014 Trek Madone 5.9

I currently ride a 2001 relic, Trek 5200 with the good old US Postal livery. I have logged almost 50,000 since then. I have narrowed my search for the next generation. I live on Long Island. I would say about 70% flat riding, 30% short hills, but some can be steep, (12%ish). I'm leaning towards ... Read More »

Widest tire width on a Madone 5.1

Hi all, Finally going to commit to some winter riding this year which also means putting on some wider tires on the bike. From experience, what's the widest tire that you Madone owners have tried? Mine's a 2011 Madone 5.1. Currently have 23's on - 25's being the next option, but has anyone bee ... Read More »

2006 madone 5.5 or 2013 madone 2.1

Guys please help me out I can both at the same price of 1000 dollars which one should I get please any help or thoughts will be appreciated. Which one would you guys recommend and why.Read More »

2012 Madone 4.5 versus 2013 Madone 3.1???

After riding a ton of bikes over the weekend I'm trying to narrow down my selection (mainly so I can sleep at night). Ride aside, can someone tell me if these bikes are the same or if there is actually a difference between the two? With only $100 difference in price I'm trying to figure out the di ... Read More »

2012 Madone 4.5 or 2013 Madone 3.1???

So, after riding a ton of bikes this weekend I'm really liking the Madone's. I think I have it down to a tricked out Marin, CAAD 10, and the Madone. But I'm confused on the Madone's. I'm looking at a 2013 3.1 and a 2012 4.5 but from what I can tell they're almost the same. There is only 100 diff ... Read More »