Trek Madone 5.2 Road Bike

• Bontrager Race Lite Wheels
  • Shimano Ultegra Rear Derailleur

Submitted by James

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight, great handling, smooth shifts.

Weaknesses:    none for me

Bottom Line:
I am older (65) and this bicycle is more than I will ever need which means I won't ever have to upgrade. I do maintain this bicycle and have never had any major problems. Around 10,000 miles and really enjoy riding it. Sure has helped me keep the waist line in check.

Submitted by mfaphoto1949 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2013

Strengths:    I don't own this bike, but it appears to be one cool machine. I gave it 4's because there must be better for more money. Why else would they charge $11-12K?

Weaknesses:    There don't appear to be any. If I had the money, I might buy it.

Bottom Line:
I'm posting this for the recreational user who believes that by paying more money, he will go faster. Not so. Speed is determined by, weight of the bike, weight of the rider, gearing of the bike, and strength and endurance of the rider. Recently I watched a YouTube comparison of a $650 bike against an $11K bike by Mike Horn. In it he said if you put equal physically fit riders on the two bikes, the $11K carbon fiber bike would be 1.5 miles further down the road after one hour. Put a 50 pound overweight middle aged man on the carbon fiber bike and a fit 25 year old on the $650 bike, and the fit 25 year old could be twice as far down the road on the cheaper bike. However, if you want to compare yourself with other middle aged fat men, yeah, you may be further down the road on the carbon fiber bike, but it might be a bit embarrassing. Who do you think you are? Mike Horn is a guy who rides about 20,000 miles a year. His day to day bike is a $350 Windsor that he's upgraded with better wheels, chainring, and cog. All together he has $650 in it. For that reason, I bought a Forge CTS 1000 from Target.com for $400. It's an average size bike which fits me well. It comes surprisingly well equipped, but I may upgrade the cog and chainring eventually. Weight is not as low as carbon fiber, but it isn't bad. Lastly, the best thing to do to decrease weight is to lose some of your own body weight and add muscle. You will go faster. I'm pushing too much fat now. If I lose 20 pounds, it should make a big difference considering that the gearing isn't a lot different than the Trek Madone 5.2. Oh, and lose some age too. Young people go faster!

Favorite Ride:   Hudson Valley Rail Trail

Purchased At:   Target

Bike Setup:   Crankset: Truvativ Touro Triple 30/42/52, Cassette: Shimano CS Hg-50 8 speed 12/13/14/15/16/17/19/21, brakeset: Shimano 2200Sti Integrated, Handlebars: Forged Aluminum with two sets Tektro brake levers

Submitted by Otis Burton

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2013

Strengths:    drive train puts the power into forward motion,and very comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    just bought it 4 weeks ago ,so no assesment yet i only have 300 miles on it.so i may or may not find anything.maybe the tires

Bottom Line:
This is my second trek bike,so i may be a little bias, but compared to my old trek this bike is like going from mazda to a porche very smooth shifting ,great handling.

Submitted by John a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2012

Strengths:    I, like other reviewers am an older recreational/touring cyclist who decided to do the warp speed conversion to carbon fiber. This bike has made me feel like a 25-year-old kid again! I still can't keep up with the kids, but like others have said, this bike simply urges you to go faster. I've always sought the hills, and the Madone is a dream come true: it begs to climb. I've ridden the bike nearly 2800 miles in four months with an elevation gain of 230K ft. and other than the obligatory 200-300 mile "new bike" tuneup, a set of tires, regular chain clean and lube, I haven't touched it. I only hope that my aging body will hold out long enough for me to enjoy riding until I drop.

Weaknesses:    This is NOT a weakness, but rather the sharing of a simple solution to a "rattle" problem. One thing that really impressed me with the Madone was the very cool way the rear brake and rear shifter cables were internalized through the top and downtubes. Several custom framebuilders back in the day did this, and I always admired this touch. I'm pretty anal when it comes to creaks, rattles, and other annoying noises, and I become obsessed with a cure. This bike "rattled" when ridden on rough pavement (damned chipseal!!). I investigated the usual suspects: loose headset, brake lever bounce, loose wheel bearings, loose stem/handlebars, etc., all of which were solid, and I finally discovered that it was the rear brake and rear shifter cable housings chattering against the headtube, which they kiss as they wrap around it to their top/downtube insert slots. The simple solution was to cut pieces of moleskin and stick them onto the head tube where the cables contact = no more rattle!

Bottom Line:
Get on, click in, and RIDE! You won't want to stop.

Bike Setup:   Left the stock saddle at the shop and replaced it with my "old butt" WTB. Added Shimano carbon pedals.

Submitted by Steve

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2012

Strengths:    Exceptionally light and rigid. Smooth gear shifting. Great seat position for recreational rider; fits my weight and height perfectly.

Weaknesses:    It's expensive, but, if you can afford it, it's well-worth it.

Bottom Line:
As my first road bike purchase in 20+ years, I am -exceptionally- happy with my new 2012 Madone 5.2. I've done a bunch of treks on touring bikes, and think it's about time for me to step back into the world of road bikes. I am absolutely astonished at how far the technology has come in the last two decades.

As another reviewer put it, this bike feels as though it's got a hidden motor -- hills that were a slog for me on my old Specialized mountain bike are now a piece of cake; I can pedal about half the revolutions and coast up them if I want to. The bike asks to be ridden fast -- even at 80 rpm cadence, it wants more. I feel as though 99.99% of my pedal energy is being put into forward motion, absolutely amazing. Love it.

2013 trek madone 5.2 vs 2012 cervelo s5

I'm torn between these two bikes. I love to ride in groups and events but have also competed in my first 70.3 triathlon this summer. After much thought I decided to upgrade to a new road bike rather then go TT. While the frame of the cervelo impresses me I'm not sure that the SRAM rival is as great ... Read More »

Trek Madone 5.2

Does anyone have experience on Trek Madone 5.2 compare with Cervelo R3?Read More »

2013 Madone 5.2 front Brake Problem

I am unable to spread the front brake to remove the tire on my new 2013 Madone 5.2. These are not Ultegra but the NEW Bontrager aero brakes. This is the second time this has happened, The first time the bike shop replaced them at no charge. Has this happened to anyone else? If so do you have a sol ... Read More »

shoes hitting front tire Trek Madone 5.2

Never had this happen to me before have size 11 Bont shoes as if that makes a difference? The front tire will hit the shoes if I make sharp turn under power? WTFRead More »

2012 Madone 6.2 vs 2013 Madone 5.2

One of my LBS has a 2012 Madone 6.2 and a 2013 Madone 5.2 for really the same price (actually the 6.2 is a couple bucks cheaper). I know the 6.2 has slightly higher grade of carbon but not the new frame design. Has anyone tested both and what would you go with? Thanks!Read More »