Trek Pilot 1.2 Road Bike

Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105
Sizes: 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 63cm

Submitted by Des3 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2011

Strengths:    Cheap, acceptably light, comfortable. Spec is very good (many branded parts, 105 rear, hubs etc) compared to the generic trash that you'd get in this price bracket post-2008.

Weaknesses:    Well it's not new any more & looks dated, esp. the compact geometry... The basic ridng position is too leisurely even on the drops. Wheels are heavy & unresponsive, ableit tough.

Bottom Line:
Bought this cheap (£200) 2nd hand to "build up" as a fast hack.
Frankly rubbish as bought (too upright, weak brakes, basic rims) but realy quite good in modified format. The original Tiagra/105 rig works very well & the stem/forks do a decent job keeping the ride forgiving. The weight is perfectly acceptable considering the age & cost of the bike.

Favorite Ride:   Cobham Common loop

Purchased At:   Private

Similar Products Used:   Giant SCR2
Trek 2.1

Bike Setup:   Reversed stem & no steerer spacers.
Standard wheels/tire replaced with PL Lucianos/Conti Gator 23s (much better)
Shimano 105 brakes
Look Keo pedals
Non-standard saddle

Submitted by rp401k a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2010

Strengths:    Sturdy. I have replaced the chain and brake pads and that's it. The wheels are bomb proof. In almost 3,000 miles they have never been trued and don't need it. Range of gearing is more than adequate. Very comfortable seating position with replacement seat and after fitting. Fast enough. 28mm tires are perfect for broken potholed roads while still providing some speed. The stock Kevlar belted tires will probably outlast my car tires. Allows for 2 bottle cages and holes for rear rack- although my mounting brackets hit the brake cable as it entered the brake. Like that the rear derailleur is 105SC.

Weaknesses:    Bomb proof wheels and aluminum frame make for a jarring ride over broken Chicago area roads. Feels a little pokey at times (could be the driver). A little heavy for a road bike. Tire fit is VERY tight (maybe not so much of a negative- I have had to replace a couple of tubes where valves broke- no puncture or pinch flats). Brakes are a little soft.

Bottom Line:
The bike is actually a 2008 model. Purchased in March 2008. I have ridden it for about 2 1/2 years and have just about 3,000 miles. It has been very reliable and easy to ride. After the first year I had the bike professionally fitted. Seat was raised, stem replaced. I ride recreationally, errands, and some commuting. I have completed 2 Centuries on this bike without undue soreness. Overall I am very pleased. It is a good compromise of comfort, speed, reliability and sturdiness for my purposes. Good all purpose road bike for someone commuting and running errands, as well as recreational riding.

Favorite Ride:   Forest Preserve Trail to Chicago Botanical Gardens

Purchased At:   Village Cycle Chicag

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000 Road bike previously. This is my only bike now.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Terry Liberator Y seat and Speedplay Light Action pedals. Also replaced stem with longer variable low rise Specialized one. Also have wireless cycle computer, 2 rear and 2 front lights, velcro mirror, and a bell. Rear rack removed due to interference with rear brake cable.

Submitted by Eric a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2010

Strengths:    It's very comfortable for rides from around the block all the way up to a century. Hardware has been very reliable.

Weaknesses:    Relaxed riding position does makes you work harder when trying to keep up with competitive friends.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in the end of 07 as my reintroduction to road cycling. Aside from the seat and pedals it's totally stock. There was a bad bearing in the rear end last year but beyond that it's been almost maintenance free. For the relatively low price I've been very impressed with this bike.

Purchased At:   Bike Gallery

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1000

Bike Setup:   Selle An-Atomica saddle

Submitted by RAD_SM a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2010

Strengths:    more upright position. Good reliable gears, Drop handle bars provide a good 3 hand positions.

Weaknesses:    wheelbase a little short for the longer distance tour rides. Brakes not as strong as I'd like.

Bottom Line:
This replaced a 1983 Miyata 1000 which was just used up and shot. The Miyata 1000 is a hard act to follow.

Pilot 1.2 conveys more road shock and took a bit of getting used to with a shorter wheelbase than the touring bike it replaced. It is good, reliable, comfortable. The gearing is a little compact for my rides, the low not being quite low enough to easily get up the steep hills and the highest gear spins out at less than 35 mph.

It's a good ride, but not a great one.

Favorite Ride:   50 mile route into Santa Cruz Mts.

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction Cycle

Bike Setup:   stock.

Submitted by kent lacin a Commuter

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2009

Strengths:    Well made, reasonably light, very comfortable, nice looking.

Weaknesses:    for the money, none. Well, the stock wheels, Bontrager Race Lites, had a problem cracking near the spokes, but they were replaced by LBS promptly. With the Mavics everything's good.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike after a short experience on a flat handlebar giant, a hybrid bike, which I used primarily for commuting 13 miles a day. I love the Trek. It's very comfortable, responsive and nimble enough to make me feel like I'm riding something much more expensive. I now have about 15,000 miles on it and have no problems to report. I put some Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels on it which dramatically improved the ride, and a 105 crankset, that made pedaling more efficient. Now I take it on 60 mile rides pretty regularly and enjoy every minute.

Favorite Ride:   Sacramento to Winters

Purchased At:   C ity Bike Works, Sa

Similar Products Used:   Viscount Road bike from the 70's.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for: Mavic Ksyrium Elite Wheels, Wolf saddle and 105 Crankset.

Trek Pilot 2.1

I am about to purchase my first road bike. I tested the Trek Pilot several years ago and it fit me very well. Anyone know why it disappeared? I am considering the Giant Defy 1 or Jamis Ventura Race. Any replies???? ThanksRead More »

2006 Trek Pilot 2.1 or 2010 Specialized Secteur

Hello everyone -- My car recently broke down and I've taken the opportunity to save money by riding the bus and bicycling to work. My bicycling background: raced BMX competitively as a kid and cycled in high school on a second-hand 30 lbs Schwinn. My current plans are: 1.) Ride anywhere from 5-20 ... Read More »

2.1 WSD or 2.1 Pilot WSD???

Hi All, although I've done some mountain biking, I'm new to road biking and don't know that I'll be able to tell much on try-out rides. LBS with best reputation stocks mostly Trek - they have a 2010 2.1 in stock which looks like what I'd be interested in. I didn't have time to go through fitting, ... Read More »

Trek Pilot 2.1 WSD?

Hey all, I'm brand new here (both to RBR and cycling), and am looking to get a new bike. I recently got into triathlons and realized that my old commuter mountain bike just wasn't going to do it for me anymore. So I'm hoping to get a decently priced road bike to go on rides out of town and use in ... Read More »

TREK Pilot 2.1