Trek Pilot 2.1 Road Bike

• Bontrager Race 52/42/30 Crankset
  • Shimano 105 Rear Derailleur

Submitted by raydean davis a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent Bike especially for someone wanting to do serious biking but needs comfort. Bike fits well

Weaknesses:    Brakes could be a better. Had to replace stock back wheel with a stronger model to support my weitht.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the Trek Pilot 2.1 when I got back into road bikes again at the ripe young age of 66. Until then I had been only a casual rider. I had planned to spend a lot less on a bike, but was directed by the salesman toward this model. It was an excellend decision. After seeing other reviews, I wanted to add mine to this excellent bike. Disappointed that Trek no longer offers the Pilot line--especially for the entry/casulal/serious rider. I have ridden the bike more than 6,000 miles including Bike across Kansas, the Katy Trail, ect. Never any problems with bike.

Favorite Ride:   Bike Across Kansas

Purchased At:   Vitess Bike & Fitnes

Similar Products Used:   The only bike I had to compare with was a 60's model road bike. There is no comparison. Since riding the bike, my brother has passed on his 5.9 along to me. The more expensive components and carbon put it into another class, but the 2.1 can hang in there with the 5.9

Bike Setup:   Set up with stock parts.

Submitted by Little Jeff a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2009

Strengths:    No flex from frame- I am 6'6" and used to weigh 250 and the bike still handled like a dream.
Very comfortable ride- It is not a race bike but at 40 years old I like the more forgiving position of the Pilot.
Totally cool carbon seat stays- Makes the road feel smoother and keeps the backside happy on long rides.

Weaknesses:    Some of the black annodized nuts are starting to oxidize- Probably my fault because I rarely clean the bike so I leave sweat and road grime on it for extended periods of time.
Bonetrager/Cane Creek brake combination work alright if recently tuned but if you let them go for a while you really have to grab a handful to stop quickly.

Bottom Line:
I got the Trek just for Sunday rides and realized I could do 30 miles easy so I started to commute to work on it. (weather permitting)The ultegra/105 component mix make the bike very smooth and ultra dependable. Over 3000 miles and it is still running strong. The only problem that I have experienced was rough shifting but I cleaned the drive train and everything went back to normal. I could honestly recommend this bike to anyone that is serious about biking because the price tag can take a bite out of your wallet. But if you commute for just one year you can cover the expense of the bike.

Favorite Ride:   Trek Pilot 2.1

Purchased At:   The Hub. Roseville C

Similar Products Used:   All other bikes were hybrids that were substantially heavier and slower. This bike is much faster than anything I have ever rode. I can commute at an average speed of ~17 to 20 (uphill to work downhill home)

Bike Setup:   Stock except for head light and handle bar bag. Added bontrager carbon fiber water bottle cages,

Submitted by Defc0n a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2008

Strengths:    the overall weight of the bike seem very light and stiff yet with a real plush ride

Weaknesses:    overall most of the bontrager part the saddle is really bad after 15 miles I the brakes need to be adjusted almost every ride but other than that I love the bike

Bottom Line:
It came with 105 10x3 shifters and ultrega components cane creek brakes Bontrager select rims, saddle, seat post, handlebars and stem.I just got a Polar cs200 I've notice I'm able to get up to and maintain 15mph as my avg. and I consider myself really out of shape

Favorite Ride:   Alt-A1A

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   09 Allez, Scott S40,

Bike Setup:   07 Trek Pilot 2.1 105's 10x3 and a polar cs200cad everything else is stock

Submitted by Jim Warwick a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2008

Strengths:    My kids bought a men's rx seat for me for Christmas. I really enjoy that seat and would recommend replacing the seat. The bike rides really smooth on rough roads and shifts really great

Weaknesses:    I don't know any weaknesses as I have only ridden a 7500 fx and a target bike. This is a great bike

Bottom Line:
My Son hounded me about getting a Trek bike. I bought his 7500 fx. It is a good bike and I rode about 1,500 miles on it. I bought my pilot 2.1 in May I have around 750 miles on it and love it. It is really smooth. I am not a professional so I can't tell you all the good or bad . But I feel it is a lot smoother and I get a lot of miles racked up and my knees don't hurt like last year

Favorite Ride:   Tour de Rock in Pella Iowa and Ragbrai

Price Paid:    $120000.00

Purchased At:   Spoken Wheel Cyclery

Bike Setup:   I put headlights and taillights on mine. I use a flightdeck computer and wouldn't be without it. This year I feel I really learned how to ride and the pilot has worked great

Submitted by ehuber1 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Strengths:    Plush ride. Great long distance comfort.
The 105 shift/brake levers are flawless.
The Cane Creek brake set is up to the task. They are much better then they look.

Weaknesses:    The Bontrager components are not the greatest. They are a cost cutting measure. I was going to swap the wheelset after breaking some spokes the new select seris wheel is working fine.
The fork could be stiffer under hard breaking. Does an Ultegra front DR really cost that much more?????

Bottom Line:
I bought the Pilot after my beloved Bianchi Giro and I parted company. My racing days are long over and the Pilot fit what I was looking for. No it does not handle like my Giro did but it also does not make my back feel like the Giro did either. The bike is plush to ride the carbon forks and rear seatstays are great for long distances. The Bontrager components are pretty junky. After about 300 miles I started breaking spoke on the rear rim, drive side. No problem Trek gladly replaced the rim with a Bontrager select series and I have not had any further problems. The bike climbs well both out of the saddle as well as in. I ditched the 3rd chainring and set the stop screw in after several key missed down shifts. I never used the thing. I plan on replacing the front DR for an Ultegra and have replaced the stem with and Easton. Frankly the bike is an excellent ride if your not looking to race with it. Long distances are really a breeze on this thing. Ohh ditch the stock saddle to. I have the Perfomance Pro SLX and it's great. I miss my Bianchi we were together for 12 years but I can ride faster, longer on this bike. I test rode the 07 model but did not purchase until this year. No 07's available but plenty of 08's. Buy it for the comfort and flip the stem for more aero effect.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere 50-60 miles takes me

Purchased At:   Race Pace Bicyc;es

Similar Products Used:   None. This is the 1st non-hardcore bike I have ever owned.

Bike Setup:   Pilot 2.1, Look Keo Classic pedals, Forte 44cm bar, Forte Carbon Pro SLX Saddle, Easton EA50 90mm stem. Cateye CD3000w wireless computer. Blackburn stainless hollow tube bottle cages.

Trek Pilot 2.1

I am about to purchase my first road bike. I tested the Trek Pilot several years ago and it fit me very well. Anyone know why it disappeared? I am considering the Giant Defy 1 or Jamis Ventura Race. Any replies???? ThanksRead More »

2006 Trek Pilot 2.1 or 2010 Specialized Secteur

Hello everyone -- My car recently broke down and I've taken the opportunity to save money by riding the bus and bicycling to work. My bicycling background: raced BMX competitively as a kid and cycled in high school on a second-hand 30 lbs Schwinn. My current plans are: 1.) Ride anywhere from 5-20 ... Read More »

Trek Pilot 2.1 WSD?

Hey all, I'm brand new here (both to RBR and cycling), and am looking to get a new bike. I recently got into triathlons and realized that my old commuter mountain bike just wasn't going to do it for me anymore. So I'm hoping to get a decently priced road bike to go on rides out of town and use in ... Read More »

2.1 WSD or 2.1 Pilot WSD???

Hi All, although I've done some mountain biking, I'm new to road biking and don't know that I'll be able to tell much on try-out rides. LBS with best reputation stocks mostly Trek - they have a 2010 2.1 in stock which looks like what I'd be interested in. I didn't have time to go through fitting, ... Read More »

TREK Pilot 2.1