Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD Road Bike

• Bontrager Race Lite 52/42/30 Crankset
  • Shimano Dura-Ace Rear Derailleur

Submitted by Julie G a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2006

Strengths:    The ride is very comfortable, the full Ultegra 10 speed is very crisp and accurate. It's not a big power climber but I'm looking for all day comfort on hills and flats.

Weaknesses:    The seat was so-so, which isn't unusual. I don't care for the bars and will change them soon, but I find these to be personal touches on any bike.

Bottom Line:
I went along on a bike fitting with a friend and layed my eyes on this sweet bike. When I looked at the price I was in shock. A great carbon Trek bike with full Ultegra for that price? I thought there was a mistake! After a fitting I was more than excited to check this out. We commonly have chip seal in our area and the carbon makes for a plush ride. We also have many hills and rollers and at 47 I am not ashamed to ride a triple. By buying the WSD I had full Ultegra instead of the goofy mixture offered on the regular Pilot 5.0. I switched the seat...which I find to be pretty common and will switch the handlebars.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere in the beautiful Pacific Northwest where I live.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale R600 with full 105-a bit of a rough ride by comparison.
Lightspeed Aarenburg with full Ultegra-also a sweet ride on titanium

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra 10 speed
Bontrager Race wheels
Easton carbon seat post
Speedplay Frog pedals

Submitted by EBSB a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2006

Strengths:    Good with hills, very comfortable, smooooooth.

Weaknesses:    Upshifting the front derailleur is a bit cumbersome. This is the only reason I'm giving a 4 rating instead of a 5.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. I was riding an old 10 speed and was barely able to do 15 miles. Now I'm regularly riding 25-30 miles and cruising up hills practically effortlessly. Mind you, I'm in my 50's. My old bike (not a WSD) gave me terrible neck pain and with this bike I have no pain at all. The bike is very responsive. In addition, it is so light I can very easily put it in the back of my car. I was always needing help with lifting my old bike. The ride is incredibly smooth and vibration is minimal.

Favorite Ride:   coastal Maine

Bike Setup:   Women's Bontrager seat is the best I've every had. Shimano 105 for the front derailleur/Dura ace for the rear.

Submitted by franmaier a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Strengths:    Lightness, agility, yet strong. Easier on the neck and shoulders. Very pretty too.

Weaknesses:    My Zurick was 100% Ultegra - this bike is a mix. Not sure if this will be a problem, but I have had difficulty in getting the bike to the granny gear. Perhaps an adjustment will fix this issue.

Bottom Line:
Since 2001, have been riding a very excellent LeMond Zurich, but in more recent rides, my neck and shoulders have been killing me. A friend introduced me to the Pilot and I was impressed with its lightness and curious about the riding position. In addition, I was eager to have a women specific bike as I had made many alterations to the Zurich. Upon my first test ride, I knew this bike was a good fit. I felt very agile and very in control. Rides since then have been great with little neck and shoulder pain and the continued feeling of a good fit.

Favorite Ride:   Pinehurst Loop Oakland