Trek Portland Road Bike

• Sizes - 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 63cm
• Color - Ucru Pearl

Submitted by Mr.Ice807 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2010

Strengths:    Light for what it is. Disc Brakes. Rides nice. Very fast.

Weaknesses:    For commuting the stock fenders could be better.

Bottom Line:
I've wanted one of these for over 3 years. Then one day I found a 2007 left over in my size. I had to have it! Ultimately for my this IS my road bike. I like disc brakes. It's that simple. My GF Mendota is my commuter work horse. Until now the 07 model was the last year for the Avid BB7 brakes. From my experience Shimano and Tektro disc brakes suck. If they are set up properly and broken in BB7's cant be beat for feel and sure stopping power. This bike would make a great commuter. It's light for what it is, handles great and; the 24 spoke wheels take more abuse than you think they would. I weigh 210lbs and they take my abuse. Get one you won't regret it!!

Purchased At:   human Zoom Bikes & B

Bike Setup:   The bike is stock for now.

Submitted by flexnet9 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2009

Strengths:    Built very solidly. Good equipment.

Weaknesses:    Avid brake squeal. Also, play in the brake cables allows too much lever travel, no matter how much adjusting I do. The widened bottom of the shift paddle chews away at the handlebar tape.

The stock fenders are worthless.

Because the rear brake cable is routed along the top of the left chain stay, I still haven't figured out how to mount a combination speed & cadence sensor that would usually go on that stay.

Bottom Line:
This is the 2008 model year, with pure 105 drivetrain and Avid BB7 brakes.

I use this bike to commute, usually 4 days a week. It's 5.5 miles each way, absolutely flat, over lots of distressed (asphalt-patched) concrete, ridden as short hard intervals between stop signs and lights. I can usually cruise at 20-22 mph, but at a significantly higher level of effort than on my road bike. Carrying a rack with pannier bag containing laptop and clothes, the bike feels solid, tracks straight, and corners well. It's held up well; one wheel needed truing early on, but no repairs since.

I replaced the stock saddle with a racing saddle I had retired after 5 years of use.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere outside of Houston

Purchased At:   Mellow Johnny's

Bike Setup:   Stock except Speedplay Frog pedals, Selle Italia SLR Gel Flow saddle, SKS 35mm fenders. Cosmo Tubus rack. Arkel Commuter pannier bag.

Submitted by DaHerbert a Commuter

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth ride. The disk brakes are excellent. Upright position. Looks great.

Weaknesses:    The stock fenders are junk, but OK for light conditions.

Bottom Line:
This bike is everything I wanted in a daily commuter. The disk brakes are exceptional in any weather condition. It's fairly light and extremely smooth. I've added a Topeak rear rack, "real" fenders, and a complete Dinotte lighting system to make this the ultimate commuter bike. It does not dissappoint.

Purchased At:   eBay

Bike Setup:   Chris King headset, FSA stem, Bontrager carbon fiber seatpost, Topeak rear rack, Planet Bike fender, Dinotte front and rear lights.

Submitted by Boilermaker19 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2008

Strengths:    Comfort, light weight, great brakes, wet riding

Weaknesses:    24-spoke wheels may prove to buckle under extreme use, but they have held up fine thus far.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! It is perfect for my daily commute, and performs well on club rides also. It is sturdy yet lightweight, and the disc brakes stop on a dime, even when wet. I may not win any road races, what with the extra drag from the discs, but it's probably the nimblest and fastest commuter out there. The price is high, but you get what you pay for. The 105's are great, and the ride is very comfortable, though you'll need to replace the stock saddle. Teh saddle and the addition of a rear rack (very handy for groceries and work clothes) are the only mods I have made.

Favorite Ride:   Trek Portland

Purchased At:   Kirk's Bikes, Muncie

Submitted by suedehead77 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Strengths:    I felt instantly confident in tight traffic situations. Agile, aggressive handling. Awesome disc breaks. Love the Shimano triple 10s; smooth shifting.

Weaknesses:    A little heavier and slower than it should be. The disc breaks cause an airflow drag that slows you down on the flats.

Bottom Line:
Great city bike for a city with lots of hills. Great disc breaks, good climbing and descending. Agile, aggressive handling; upright position so you can see traffic. Love the Shimano triple 10s. Expensive, but most similar bikes have lesser equipment.

Favorite Ride:   Trek Portland

Purchased At:   Columbus Trek Bicycl

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Road Warrior 700 (2002). The C'dale is lighter and faster on the flats.

Bike Setup:   stock

What side of Portland do most cyclist live on ?

Im coming to Portland soon to look at homes . Is there a certain area in Portland that is more accessible to the roads that are most often used by cyclist there? Meaning if most of the good routes are on the North side than that is a good place to look assuming that it's a decent area . Oh yeah I ... Read More »

Portland State University!

What's up guys, I've lurked around here for a long time now, and have posted a few times. I live in Olympia, Washington and have recently sent my letter of intent to go to Portland State. I know that Portland is one of the most bike friendly cities in the world, and I have always wanted to get a ... Read More »

Two Bridges Loop - Portland, OR and Vancouver, WA

Just sharing a few photos from this morning's ride. It's a popular route we did clockwise - Portland to Vancouver via the I-5 bridge, then riding along the WA side of the Columbia River until we reached the I-205 bridge which took us back to Portland. Portland has been having summer-like weather ... Read More »

Moving to Portland/Seattle

My wife and I are thinking about moving to Portland or Seattle in the next couple of years. We took a trip there fall and really liked the place. Industry looks pretty good for us (I'm an engineer, she's a dietitian), and we like the idea of a younger, growing city near the water. We've lived ... Read More »

Any rides on Saturday in the Portland area?

Hey there folks, I'm looking for a ~50 mile ride with some climbing. Weather forecast is looking great. Anyone have a line on something or want to invite me along? I'm an experienced rider (former racer) who's in good overall shape, but not racing shape...Read More »