Wilier Izoard Road Bike

4.54/5 (24 Reviews)

The Wilier Izoard XP is deceptively similar to the Cento1 at a glance, perhaps close enough even to fool the learned observer. So should the Izoard XP make Cento1 owners a bit jealous? If you look at the price tag, it might. Where the ProTour-proven Cento1 commands a premium, the Izoard XP is specifically aimed at the racer on a budget. Though the paint scheme is simpler than the Cento1, the Izoard XP still carries itself with obvious Italian flair. And for a frame whose foremost intent is to deliver maximum performance-per-dollar, the fact that it's this gorgeous is a delightful bonus. Like the Cento1, the Izoard XP is built with full carbon monocoque construction. It's made exclusively from Toray carbon. In this case, T-700SC (medium modulus/stiffness) and M30J (high modulus/stiffness) fibers makes up the bulk of the laminate. In the typical calculus of carbon fiber, the stiffness and tensile properties of the highest grades (such as the 46 Ton carbon in the Cento1) allows frame manufacturers to use less material to achieve requisite rigidity and strength. By using T-700SC and M30J in the Izoard XP, Wilier is sacrificing nothing in terms of its ride quality and durability. Rather, they just use more material to achieve it, and this adds a few grams. The lower modulus carbon fiber is also significantly less expensive. Considering the beauty and the race-worthiness of the Izoard XP, the value is easy to see.Is there a better road racing frameset priced below $2,000? We can think of one or two that look equally stunning, but lack in the stiffness and lightness of the Izoard. And we can think of one or two that provide equal performance, but in comparison look like a dog. In this price range, the Izoard XP shines beyond all options. Its patented molding process and the carefully-thought-out wall thicknesses and carbon layup choices befit a frameset with a heftier price tag.One other note about the Izoard XP: It's named after the Col d'Izoard, arguably the most legendary pass in the French Alps. More so than in any other place, it's where Marco Pantani turned himself into a bike racing immortal (racing, no less, on a Wilier frameset). For all the technology behind the Izoard XP, its name reminds of the gigantic heritage of the Wilier brand.The Wilier Izoard XP is available in Red and Yellow and comes in six sizes from X-Small to XX-Large. It requires the use of a 31.6mm seatpost, a 34.9mm clamp-on front derailleur, and an English bottom bracket. Like any bike with a sloping top tube, we suggest that you focus on the effective top tube length in determining the correct frame size. It comes standard with a Wilier Monocoque carbon fork with an aluminum steerer.

Submitted by Billybob

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2013

Strengths:    Super bike for the money!

Weaknesses:    Could have a nicer wheel set. But, hey, it'd be more $$$$$.

Bottom Line:
Not sure where you could find a better bike for the same money. I had Competitive Cyclist build me one with SRAM Force instead of Rival for a few dollars more. What a surprise! Super ride - great handling - awesome feel. Climbs, descends, tracks. What else would you want. A good set of carbon wheels would double the price. I'm happy with the Mavics. Spend your retirement on a Cervalo. I'll stick with this guy!

Submitted by Mike C a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2013

Strengths:    Price, decent climbing characteristics.

Weaknesses:    Dull, cheap wheels.

Bottom Line:
A buddy of mine picked this bike up with a Rival build for something around $2k. It came with pretty poor wheels, but other than that it should ride at least a little bit similarly to my Cervelo R3, no? No. Not even close. In fact, it rides worse than my aluminum clunker. I've never experienced a more lifeless, dull, lacking-fun ride and I've ridden in some miserable conditions. I ride and race about 10 hours a week so I love me some miles, but I actually just wanted this ride to stop. The bike actually felt like it wanted to go slower at all times. Maybe he got a dud somehow? I can't explain how the Izoard XP even garners average reviews.

If you're looking to somewhat deep into cycling (you're not shopping for hybrids at the same time), do yourself a favor and pick up something used (like I did with my Cervelo). $2k on a new bike versus $2k on a used bike? They're worlds apart.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   Rival, Dura Ace Pedals, Mavic Aksium Race wheels.

Submitted by Scotty

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2013

Strengths:    2012 model, Compliant as many have said before for me easy geometry is very comfortable for the longer rides.
I only ride for my own pleasure never a racer so I could imagine it might not be stiff enough for the hardcore.
But that is not why I bought this bike. Its well mannered. stable and feels quick...It is my mistress.

Weaknesses:    external cables maybe, won't stay clean...(Not the bikes fault)

Bottom Line:
Mine is a little upgraded with sub 1500 gram DT swiss rims and tubeless. Changed the seat to a 135 gram Selle
makes this a great bike in the hills and with the tubeless just a beaut ride.

Submitted by Mark Smith a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2012

Strengths:    chews the miles - I can sit on this babe all day and just ride - I have been told that guys actually have raced on these - but not being a Racer I would not know - I changed the Handlebars and Seat (personal preference) - and I have not looked back - climbs well, you can plant it well on corners and downhill too - Italians sure know how to make a Good Bike.

Weaknesses:    Wheels and Tyres were a let down so I brought some Fulcrum 1 with some Continentals - problem solved - its a tad expensive for what it is - but I dont see many people on them and they do turn heads.

Bottom Line:
I you want to churn the miles out all day this baby will do it for you and then some - its good on climbs and in the right hands will give the more expensive bikes a run for their money - just make sure you change the Wheels and Tyres and you will have hundreds of miles of fun on it - :)

Submitted by Andrew Sumner

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2012

Strengths:    The gear system on the handle bars is great. The tilt of the handle bars does need adjustment so that you can get a finger to the brakes from relaxed and racing positions. Good compromise of flex and rigidity for hill climbs. The standard pedals are better with the straps removed (if not forking out on clip ons) Every other cyclist tuns and looks at the bike because it's a beaut.

Weaknesses:    The design of the brake leavers isn't great. Not long enough to reach comfortably in racing position. (I know it has to incorporate the shifter.) The standard tyre it comes with is naff and very prone to punctures.(CST Comp from China)
I had a stark reminder of just how light the bike was trying to brake one handed at 20 mph. Lost shape and stacked it with some good air time. Torn ligaments and stabbing pain for 5 weeks.

Bottom Line:
A great fitness investment for £1500 at 0% apr over 2 years. (Was onlg going to spend £500!)Having spent the money it would've been good to have better tyres but for another £60 it's not a lot to moan about. I tried a few other carbon bikes and the best feature was the shifter system and how light it is.
It's a great alternative to the same old brands.

Wilier Izoard Pro vs. Wilier Izoard XP?

Fellow Wilier owners... I have a 2010 Wilier Izoard Pro (or just Izoard?) that I have babied, loved and cherished....but the day is soon coming when it will need to be traded up, so I want to do some research first. Bike Radar did a great write-up on a few years back: ([url=http://www.bikeradar.c ... Read More »

My Louboutin Wilier Izoard XP

Hello Folks, Long time lurker and first time poster. Buddy of mine gave me his 2011 Wilier Izoard XP. It was a little beat up, but also in great shape. My wife owns a pair of louboutin shoes and the color looks pretty pimp. For some I've always liked that color scheme. I wanted to re-paint my bike ... Read More »

Willer Izoard XP Road Bike Recalled in Australia

[img]http://i1.wp.com/aushiker.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/willer-izoard-xp-recall.jpg?resize=550%2C426[/img] Product Safety Recalls Australia in cooperation with De Grandi Cycle & Sport Pty Limited, the Australian distributor of Willer bicycles have announced the recall of Willer Izoard XP roa ... Read More »

Wilier Izoard questions

I need some help from Wilier owners or otherwise well reasoned folk. I'm considering a size XL Izoard XP and would like to understand this: 1. Does the stiffness of this frame suffer from not having a tapered steerer fork?Seems standard on serious bikes. 2. Does anyone know the fork rake and axle ... Read More »

Wilier IZOARD XP Fork RECALL

" If the bike was purchased after October 1, 2011, please discontinue use of the bike immediately. " Seen at: [url=http://italiancyclingjournal.blogspot.com/2012/10/important-safety-recall-wilier-izoard.html]ITALIAN CYCLING JOURNAL: Important Safety Recall: Wilier Izoard XP Fork[/url]Read More »