Trek T900 Tandem Bike

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

Frame Material: aluminum
Frame Angles: Unspecified
Sizes: captain 18.5"/stoker 14.5"
Colors: Dark Blue
Pedals: nylon platform
Tires: 26 x 1.95" Bontrager Comfort

Submitted by rick

Date Reviewed: December 10, 2013

Strengths:    frame ,wheels, comfort,no real maintenance, great comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    brakes. shifting sluggish,keep chain clean and well oiled

Bottom Line:
best bang for the buck in tandems

Submitted by NeverGettingOld a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2011

Strengths:    Quality build, stiffness, comfort, most components for price

Weaknesses:    Stock saddles way too wide for anything but around the block riding and weak brakes (fixed with KoolStop pads)

Bottom Line:
My wife and I have been riding bicycles for over 30 years, first road bikes and then mainly mountain bikes the past 10 years. She has always been about 30% slower than me. No problem with trail riding, as all of the riding is over various loops and we frequently pass. However, it has been a problem with road riding. We have debated a tandem for several years and finally decided to get one this year. We wanted to stay around $1000, so the T900 and KHS Sport were the ones to consider. We decided on the T900 because of the aluminum frame, Avid brakes and twist shifters, which I like for road and rail trail riding. The bike is a new 2008 model, which we got exactly 1 month ago. I'm unhappy with the dealer, as he told us that he got it in 2010 and charged us the 2010 price. We later discovered that it was a 2008, but this review is about the bicycle. The first change was to exchange the wide saddles for proper saddles. The SR Freeway's are gel and comfortable. The next was to switch to Shimano clipless pedals. We chose Shimano for commonality with my mountain bike and our exercise bike. The stock 1.95 tires are fine for gravel roads and rail trails, but too slow for me for road riding, so I switched to narrower and higher pressure tires. Adds at least 10% speed, likely more. The brakes will stop us, but not the way I would like. I like the Avid SD7's on my mountain bike, so I decided to just switch pads on the SD3's. What a difference – much better braking. Overall, a very fine and versatile tandem for the price after making some minor changes.

Favorite Ride:   Gettysburg battlefield park roads

Purchased At:   Babcock Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   First tandem. Have 2 2001 Dahon 26 inch folders plus 2001 Marin Juniper Trail and 2002 Raleigh Tara mountain bikes. Had custom Basso and Specialized Allez years ago when I was younger.

Bike Setup:   Stock 2008 except:
SR Freeway saddles
Shimano PD-M520L pedals
KoolStop salmon brake pads
Geax Street Runner MTB Tire 26x1.6 (75 psi)

Submitted by singlespeedscot a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2009

Strengths:    Fits a large captain and small stoker perfectly. Reasonable price. Good quality.

Weaknesses:    Rigid fork really not suited for offroad. Impossible to wheelie over obsticles like you can on a single.

Bottom Line:
Was looking for a tandem for my eight year old and I to ride on railtrails and light singletrack. Found a like new condition used bike. Had money to upgrade brakes, shifters, seats, pedals, bars and stem. Very happy so far. May try a mountain bike race, anyone race with their child?

Purchased At:   CraigsList

Similar Products Used:   First Tandem.

Bike Setup:   Crank Bros Candy C pedals, Avid Single Digit Brakes, SRAM shifters, Titec bars and stem, WTB seats.

Submitted by Edsel Ing a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    Can fit small riders.
A great first tandem. Care free shifting
If you change out handlebars, it's a lot lighter.

Weaknesses:    It's not a speed demon. Difficult to convert to 700 cc (this is not what bike was intended to do though)

Bottom Line:
A solid product that my small boys and I could ride.

We went to a few races with it too.

Light enough for captain to lift through a muddy race circuit.

Favorite Ride:   Trek T900

Purchased At:   Spokes & Sports Toro

Similar Products Used:   Bike Friday triplet

Submitted by jmf a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2008

Strengths:    light weight for transporting in/on the truck; great price; very smoothe operation (shifting, pedaling); stiff frame; cushioned-feeling ride

Bottom Line:
we were looking for a non-competitive-quality off-road tandem. a requirement was a low downtube in the stoker's position. this fit our requirements perfectly! for a $1000 MSRP bike, it's a great deal. TREK name brand was a plus. rear-seat pogo keeps her comfortable. front and rear handle-bar positions are fully adjustable (tilt, height, extension). rear seat has built-in LED safety-lite strip. add a rack and bags and you're ready for a comfortable, long day on the trail(s). very happy with the purchase!

Favorite Ride:   Trek T900

Purchased At:   local merchant

What is the difference between T700, T800, or T900 carbon fiber ?

I've been looking at some carbon fiber frames but I'm not sure what is the difference between T700, T800, or T900 carbon fiber? And I imagine T stands for Tensile? If not what does it sand for? I know of the monocoque frames but is there any other technique involved? ThanksRead More »

Chinese Supplier of T800, T900

Has anyone found truly high end carbon fiber like T800 or T900? All of the places I've found only have lower end T700.Read More »