Cannondale T2000 Touring Bike

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

Frame Material: 6061 T6 aluminum
Frame Angles: 71.5 head, 73.0 seat
Sizes: jumbo, large, medium, small, xlarge
Colors: Gray
Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Cane Creek S-2
Front Der: Shimano 105, clamp-on
Crankset: TruVativ Firex, 28/38/48 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Deore XT
Pedals: Wellgo dual function w/alloy cage
Tires: 700 x 37c Continental Travel Contact

Submitted by R Ross

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2013

Strengths:    Great for loaded/self supported touring. Great for on or off road. Very strong. Comfortable for long days.

Weaknesses:    I'm on my 3rd bottom bracket. Not a fast ride.

Bottom Line:
I bought this new in 2004. Great bike. I've used it for touring, commuting, and errands. I did a few charity rides with it too since it was so comfortable. Carries big loads very well. I usually take 65-70 lbs of gear/supplies for my unsupported tours. It rides very well under these conditions. Crashed it twice and no major harm done except to one set of handlebars. The rear rack is an eyesore, but wow can it take the weight. With the fatty fork, you'll need spacers to mount a front rack properly, but with them I have a front rack and fenders that look and work great. Brooks saddles are fantastic, but I finally switched out to an ISM after a few tours. Very durable and reliable bike. Lastly, the Mavic wheels are incredibly strong. I weight 200+. I did a tour fully loaded that was mainly single path and these wheels just soaked it up.

Submitted by Patrick Gould a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2007

Strengths:    It's superb gearing ratio and rugged frame designed for long distance and loaded touring, its durable Mavic rims, its 28X700 Continential 2000 tires, and its Ultegra shifters all combine to make this a pure joy to handle. If a continent tamer is what you seek, look no further.

Weaknesses:    The first two months of ownership found me returning to the local bikeshop to replace the Shimono 105 crank, the rear hub, and the chain. I also had to have major adjustments made to the headset and stem.

Lastly, the plastic pedal frames for cleatless riding broke the first time I set the bike down on its side.

Caveat Emptor: Buy this beast from a reputable in-town merchant. You need a guy who is not going to hassle you everytime he sees you returning to his store with his product loaded in tow. And, be sure to get the warranty before you even consider taking your ride home.

Bottom Line:
If you can get past the T2000's teething stages, it becomes a truly remarkable touring bike. The lowest of the twenty seven gears allows me to sit back and casually let the bike walk me up some of the tallest hills found in Wisconsin's unglaciated outreaches.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale T2000

Purchased At:   Budget Bicycle in 20

Similar Products Used:   Previously owned a 1974 Fuji Finest with obscenely (i.e. foolishly) swapped out upgrades for extensive touring. Never again....

Bike Setup:   rear rack w/cannondale panniers, cannondale front carrier, three water bottle drop outs, catseye odometer, Terry Gellissimo seat, bikeplanet rear flashing light.

Submitted by Matt Miller a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2006

Strengths:    A more than capable Tourer. Works hard to please.

Love the paint and the India transfer. Green is the only color for my .02.

Weaknesses:    Get the right tires on it Cannondale.

Bottom Line:
Update to my original.

After a year and changing the tires to Panaracer 32's, I am starting to bond with this bike. I have to say frankly that it's more than bonding yet this was one of the most difficult bikes I've ever owned ( I have 15 ) to set up.

Favorite Ride:   All

Similar Products Used:   Still think the Jamis Aurora is 50% more bike at 50% less price.

Bike Setup:   Stock sans tires.

Submitted by Matt Miller a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2005

Strengths:    VERY Quality paint and components and simply beautiful frame work. :) Brooks saddle was used on the 2005 ( sadly ) removed from the 2006 line-up. Mavic rims are always excellent.

Weaknesses:    VERY-VERY high crank center ( why use 175 cranks in this application ? ) requires a jacked-up seat height which make it necessary to raise bars for riding comfort. Really crappy brakes, brake QC and attention to braking detail. Suspension seatpost is nice, but with only one seat adjustment bolt, it's a tad of a downer. Conti " Travel Contact " tires a major mistake that was corrected for the 2006 models. Unless you work and pedal in a gravel pit, these are overkill. Did Rube Goldberg make that back rack which is cross applied with other Cannondale models. T-2000 deserves it's own tasefull rack. Costs $650.00 more than the Jamis and about $500 more than the 520 Trek.

Bottom Line:
Let me say how much I love Bike Review... this site has saved me countless hours and dollars.....

Being unsure what type/model of Touring bike I wanted, I recently bought two... a new 2004 Jamis Aurora and a 2005 Cannondale T-2000. I like the Cannondale and LOVE the Jamis. Let me explain...

IF you are going to ride with 50-75 pounds of gear and panniers, treking for days at a time, buy the Cannondale which appears to be better suited for LOADED touring and almost any road surface. However, IF you're like 90% of all tourers that credit card and weekend tour, without the slightist doubt, the Jamis is more comfortable, more stable, lower center of gravity, and simply faster by 1-2 MPH, at least, for me.

I rec'd my T-2000 ( Large ) with braking issues that turned out to be tire soap left on the rims ( caused fork chatter when stopping ) and unmatched brake arm spring tension ( locator pins ) and painted ( over sprayed/not masked ) Canti front pins that were not lubricated in either the front or back. While the components on this model are excellent, it's also obvious that the QC ( and/or cookie cutter ) lack of attention to detail negates the " American Made " image that Cannondale implies. One shouldn't have to spend 2-3 hours trying to figure out what's wrong with a $1600.00 ( out the door ) bike.

I like this bike, but don't think we will develop a long term relationship like one does with some bikes.

I think Cannondale Mgmt would do well to step back from this bike and consider it's identity and mission in life unless it's made exclusively for loaded touring. It ( T-2000 ) seems a little bit confused of it's identity and demographics. I.E. Ultegra/Mavic/Brooks refinements with a mountain bike crank position and tires ?

Favorite Ride:   Downhill

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Aurora... the winner for my personal riding style.

Bike Setup:   Put an adjustable stem on her since Cannondale didn't. Toss the Cannondale brakes. Buy real world 28-30-32 MM tires unless you get them free from Conti like Cannnondale did.

trek T2000

Are theer any tandem riders out there? I'm trying to find info. on the trek t2000 tandem. . Does anyone know anything about the ZR 9000 frame? I'm trying to choose between Burley Tirazza and Santana Sovereign, and the trek. They are similarily equiped, I'd like to get a weight on the T2000. ... Read More »

Cannondale T2000 tourer >> CX bike??

Long story short: I wound up with two high-end road bikes because of a car vs. bike wreck. Both of the road bikes are ok, so I'm thinking of turning one of them into a high-speed, high-end tourer for credit card touring. I bought some Specialized Armadillos, and will be ordering a Tubus rack + sea ... Read More »