Cannondale T800 Touring Bike

Frame Material: 6061 T6 aluminum
Frame Angles: 71.5 head, 73.0 seat
Sizes: jumbo, large, medium, small, xlarge
Colors: Blue
Headset: 1 1/8" threadless Cane Creek S-2
Front Der: Shimano Tiagra, clamp-on
Crankset: TruVativ 5D, 28/38/48 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Deore XT SGS
Pedals: Wellgo dual function w/alloy cage
Tires: 700 x 35c Continental Top Touring

Submitted by Jack Thomas

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2015

Strengths:    Fast, light, durable - parts are cheap to replace

Bottom Line:
I love this bike - I can keep up with most road bikes, and slum it up with mtn bikes on the paths. I take this thing everywhere whether it be loaded or unloaded. Too bad Cannondale exxed out their touring bikes

Submitted by CanadaBikeDude40 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2009

Strengths:    Fast, comfortable, light, responsive, uncanny road feel. Cannondale knows how to do aluminum. You can't compare their bikes to those of others.
They choose well balanced parts for the price.

Weaknesses:    They are expensive in Canada and not widespread.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bikes since by previous long serving Cannondale T700 was stolen - while in the hands of the airline! The new bike had the same smooth, spunky characteristics of its predecessor. It's probably a little smoother with better handling.
I've carried 1, 2 and 4 panniers on the bike and it handles it all well.
Now, I mostly use it as a high-speed tourer. With good tires (I like Conti's), this bikes is very fast. It keeps up under most circumstances. It's light, fast and comfortable. I've never ridden a bike that cornered as well as a Cannondale. It's comfort lets down (more than some other bikes) on washboard or heavily frost-heaved roads, so frequent in Canada.
I upgraded a number of critical parts for a lighter ride.

Favorite Ride:   Icefields Parkway, Alberta

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden other Cannondales, Treks, and many others. I ride fast rides, commute and tour. I've been riding for 30 years.

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock. I put on some Frog pedals - these are really nice.
I changed the shift levers to DuraAce and the crank to a light, stiff and handsome Sugino unit. Guess what - shifts are terrific!
I mounted 32c Conti Top Touring and this bikes rides fast and tough.
Later I put on some lightweight narrow Mavic wheels and 25c Conti tires - it didn't change much. The bikes scooted before and it still scoots.

Submitted by Barry a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    I ride my T800 in mountain bike races and it is just as solid but wayyy faster. The only thing it doesn't have is the shock absorbers but I wouldn't change anything on it. I've won nearly all my mountain bike races. It beats them at their game.

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses as a tourer whatsoever. To race the mountain bikes at their game I only changed the handlebars to straight bars. The higher gear ratios didn't bother me because the T800 is so much lighter and I prefer it's higher gear ratios anyway.

Bottom Line:
Very solid aluminium frame. An absolute pleasure on long tours. Many riders in my club say they want a T800 as their next bike.

Favorite Ride:   Cannondale T800

Purchased At:   LK Cycles

Bike Setup:   Standard except for straight handlebars. Trimmed of every unnecessary weight.

Submitted by Ali Imran a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Strengths:    Exceedingly reliable workhorse.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
I have had this bike since 2001. Over the past 5 years, I must have cycled thousands of miles through sun, rain, snow, ice and everything else. It has been absolutely phenomenal, and has NEVER let me down. The bike looks its age but rides like a dream. I am now planning to exchange the frame though Cannondale frame exchange program.

Favorite Ride:   Cabot Trail, Cape Breton, NS

Purchased At:   Cyclesmith, Halifax

Similar Products Used:   Lemond arrivee

Bike Setup:   Standard

Submitted by gordons9 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2005

Strengths:    I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If I could only have one bike this would be it. It's perfect for big riders and people who want an all-rounder. Totally perfect for loaded touring out of the box. That is pretty rare.

Dependable, comfortable, fun, worry free. What a touring bike should be.

Weaknesses:    The seat is a little too cush - I swapped it. I'm not being easy on this bike - really, but that's all I can say.

Bottom Line:
This is a sweet ride for what it's designed for. Perfectly setup for the task out of the box! I've put around 2500 miles on mine, 1800+ fully loaded and it has yet to let me down. On top of that it's just comfortable! The while steel is real crowd is just missing out. Cannondale knows what tourists need and gives us just that in the T800.

The bike's components are perfect for touring. Tiagara is a fine group for a bike you'll leave out in the rain while you're in a tent. The XT rear and 26/36/48 chainrings worked together to get me over the Continental Divide thirteen times and still left me with enough speed for those raging tailwind days.

The geometry, gel handlebar inserts and the fattie 37c Contis on this thing are just comfortable. Maybe it's the tires? Maybe people over-do Al being 'buzzy' or maybe Cannondale knows a thing or two about how to make and Al bike. Whatever it is it felt right to me - comfortable and efficent over a 30 day, 1840 mi tour in the Rockies.

When you're loaded it never shimmied - even at over 45mph. Stock wheelset never failed me, even when carrying 1/2 my girlfriend's load one day, and I weigh in at 190lbs and carry around 45lbs of gear and food/water. I crashed after being pushed off the road and into gravel, landing right on my right Tiagara STI shifter. The shifter worked fine after picking the debris out of it and moving it back into place. My leg healed.

Now that I'm not touring I slapped fenders and lights on it and it's my daily commuter. Fast enough to get me there and strong enough to take the abuse city streets hand it.

Favorite Ride:   Great Parks tour - 2005

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Sequoia. A bit more flexy, but it's a light tourer. I like it, but not for this task.

Bike Setup:   Stock with the exception of a SRAM chain, Arkels on the stock rear rack, Tubus Tara front rack and Ortliebs up there. Cannondale HB bag. Enduro 8 computer. New stem - compliments of REI 'losing' my old on during shipping in Boulder, CO. I miss my old silver one. Compass/bell for fun. Three bottle cages. Lights and Planet Bike fenders for commuting. Crank Bros Mallet C pedals now, but had ATACs and Candy S on there as well. My TANK Bike!