Devinci Caribou 2 Touring Bike

• Pedals: Wellgo Clipless WPD-M823
  • Cassette: Shimano HG50 9s 11-34T

Submitted by Jason a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2015

Strengths:    Stiff, responsive frame.

Weaknesses:    Sizing is small.

Bottom Line:
I picked up this frame NOS on fleabay for $75 shipped. Part of that awesome deal was a substantial discount b/c the seller forgot the fork. Slapped a redline carbon fork on it, FSA omega wheels, and set it up like Andy Wilkinson custom TT Dolan but with cheaper parts and higher road gearing. It looks goofy as all get out, but it works well for me and was an inexpensive build.

It's primarily a gravel grinder (hardpack grinder is more like it) which also sees regular road use. I have never put a rack on it. Plenty of room for 44c studded tires with SKS fenders. Has downtube internal cable routing.

I usually ride 58-60cm or L frames. My caribou is a L, but the geometry is like that of a 26" MTB. I've got a 300mm seatpost jacked up to the max line to maintain an efficient stroke for my lanky 34" inseam. Juxtapose that with the relatively long reach on my C3 base bars, and it makes for an odd ride. I hope to fix that with Zipp Vukas and a shorter stem.

My intent is to build this into a TT style bike with which I can pound out gravel and paved centuries, while still commuting to work and doing backpack touring. So far, so good.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale ST400

Promax 85mm linear pull brakes
WTB Rocket V saddle

Submitted by Pepere Sportif a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2011

Strengths:    Reliable commuter and light touring

Weaknesses:    Too flexible for heavy touring

Bottom Line:
I first used the bike as a commuter and it did a good job in all kind of weather, with normal component wear (my commute was 60 km/day). I had disk break at first, but pads were wearing out very quickly on wet and dirty roads and needed frequent ajustments. I changed to canti breaks and was much happier.
When I retired, I started using the bike on long touring trips, fully loaded front and back. It became clear the the frame is way too flexible (at least in the XL size that I have) to handle the load. Above 30 km/h, the ride is even scary when both the front and back racks are loaded.

Purchased At:   Bikes on the Drive