Fuji Bicycles Touring Touring Bike

Headset: 1" threadless FSA Roller Bearing
Front Der: Shimano Tiagra Triple, bottom-pull/clamp-on 28.6mm
Crankset: Cyclone Cold Forged, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Deore SGS
Pedals: Wellgo road w/clips and straps
Tires: 700 x 30c Ritchey Tom Slick

Submitted by Alf Williams

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2014

Strengths:    Very good value for money. Stable but still a blast to ride. Bombproof wheels and tyres. Greater than the sum of it's parts.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Could do with better quality bar end shifters. Brakes are just about OK and nothing special.

Bottom Line:
After a long time away from cycling I'm using this bike for fitness and recreation but will probably tour on it next year. My normal ride before work is a 12-mile loop consisting of a 6-mile road ride, a 2-mile section through a forest which includes a bit of 'strada bianchi' and a 4-mile 'big ring' road ride back home. I had £50 worth of free accessories when I bought mine so bought SKS mudguards which look good. I was going to change the wheels for something lighter but they're proving to be bombproof and the 32c's tyres haven't given me any problems over the past four months.

Submitted by edng

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2013

Strengths:    Stealth silent cassette
Climbs like a dream
Stable and not twitchy at speed
Great price point $1000 for the quality
Matt Gunmetal paintjob beautiful

Weaknesses:    Bike was shipped WITHOUT pedals and straps. Bummer

Bottom Line:
Paid US$999 to have it shipped to me in Singapore. I have the 2013 Gunmetal grey metal with red stickers. Really skinny bike compared to the alu bike I got rid of

It took almost 3 months to arrive and my LBS was advised that Fuji doesnt make the Touring frame regularly but needed to collect enough orders every couple of months before building the frames

With the rack and pedals installed weighed in at 11.2kg which was pretty light off the bat

Everything worked and the brakes are excellent stoppers although I'll swap out the pads to compound pads when they wear out

Ride is very smooth with the wheels pumped at 80psi

It climbs like a dream and on the flats, its very comfortable. Its geometry does not lend it to being nimble but its ride is extremely stable

Comment about the Oval components. Never heard of Oval before I received the bike. I had my doubts being non-Shimano and non-SRAM . So far so good.

The rear cassette is virtually silent which is a very pleasant surprise ..... coasting almost silent and the ride exudes a sense of tranquility and peacefulness when freewheeling through a park or quiet lane

Replaced the Oval saddle with my Brooks b17. The saddle absolutely complements the bike's character

Submitted by Carl Vinson

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2012

Strengths:    Ride stability, weight compared to some other touring bikes.

Weaknesses:    I replaced the seat but that is such a matter of personal taste that it may not matter to others. Also due to an accident (operator error), I replaced the wheelset, though I do not believe any rim could have withstood the damage. Still, I had been told that someday I should replace them so that is why I gave less than 5 overall rating. Also the rear rack Fuji included was not strong enough for my normal loads.

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2008 Touring new in late 2010 so the specs are slightly different, but not much, from the current model. This was my first touring bike, though I had toured some on a mountain bike. I am very happy with the Fuji and am not really likely to ever replace it. The ride is stable, the drive train componentry is very functional and reliable. I believe it is a very good value.

Submitted by Soundtallica a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2012

Strengths:    Comfy. Made of steel, looks pretty and retro. Feels stiff. Light for a touring bike. Versatility - The geometry is sport-touring: slacker than a cyclocross bike but steeper than a touring bike, which makes it a good all-rounder.

Weaknesses:    Stock parts: Wheels have hub problems, crankset is HEAVY, square taper BB, 1" threaded steerer, saddle is tiny. Seems the BB flexes enough to cause chain rub make pedaling in the big chainring-small cog combo. Fuji brand cachet isn't as hipster as something like Surly. Paint chips easily. One of the bottle mounts on my frame is crooked. 135mm rear hub spacing. Semi-horizontal dropouts allow the rear wheel to slip sometimes.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. Despite its many quirks and shortcomings (see weaknesses), it continues to charm me. I love that it's made of steel, is comfy, and takes almost anything I throw at it. Despite being marketed as a touring bike, the geometry is actually more sport-touring-ish, so it does everything well. I mainly use it for mixed dirt and road and long distance rides. It's relatively fast on the road, and a perfect urban-assault machine that feels at home on bike paths and fire roads. I've even thrown cyclocross knobbies on it and took it mountain biking, where the relaxed geometry makes it easier to handle on technical sections, and it never missed a beat. The sheer versatility of this thing is probably why I like it so much. This would be the bike that I keep if I were to only have one bike.

Of course, I probably only enjoyed the bike this much after major modifications. The bike was 28 pounds stock, which is good for a touring bike but heavy for anything else. I switched to a threadless headset (improved steering stiffness), switched to good old Open Pro wheels, took the rack off (may use it later though) and switched to a lighter crankset and BB. These modifications dropped it to 23 pounds, which is pretty respectable.

Similar Products Used:   My road bike

Bike Setup:   Fuji Touring (British Racing Green), Mavic Open Pros, Deore components and LX crankset, Tiagra shifters and front derailleur, Nashbar carbon cyclocross fork, personal cockpit items

Submitted by Ray Lovinggood a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2011

Strengths:    Geometry and smooth ride really make me smile. The factory rear rack is great and the stock saddle gets along just fine with my butt.

Weaknesses:    The brakes. They always felt weak to me. Granted, my only other bike experience is EXTREMELY limited, but I do like the 105 brakes on my road bike and even the old Fuji Regis that the Touring replaced had better brakes. I complained every time I saw the bike shop owner. Finally, after only 860 miles, the pads were worn out and he replaced the stock Tektro's with a different design Tektro's. They are better, but still won't stop the bike like the 105's on my road bike.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike to serve as my commuter, not as a "Touring" bike, but the machine rides so nicely that I'm giving the idea of actually touring some thought. I believe mine is a 2011 model. It has the "quill" style stem and bar end shifters.

After looking unsuccessfully for a used bike that "looked right", was the right size, and had provisions for a rack, I ended up buying this bike new. On the test ride and for the first week or two, it felt quite odd with the 175mm cranks and overall geometry as compared to my other bikes. I didn't quite like it. But now, I love it.

I've purchased SKS fenders and hope to install them soon.

My daily commute totals only 14.5 miles, broken into two legs in the morning and two in the afternoon, with a 30 mile bus ride separating the legs. The longest leg of the commute is only 6 miles, but I must say, it is a sweet 6 miles!

I have ridden it on a few "road rides" with the longest being 50 miles and I was quite pleased with all of the rides.

With the longer cranks and lower BB as compared to my road bike and even the older commuter, I had to realize that I couldn't power through the curves as I had previously, lest I bury the low pedal into the pavement and "high side" my body. So now, I just coast through corners.

I'm very pleased with this bike. It has made my commute even more enjoyable.

Favorite Ride:   All of them

Purchased At:   Cycle Logic

Similar Products Used:   Don't have a similar product.
Road Bike: Fuji Roubaix ACR 2.0

Bike Setup:   Headlight: Cygolite Expilion 250
Taillight: PDW Dangerzone
Rack Pack: Lone Peak RP-700 (used every day)
Baskets: Basil Cardiff (installed and used occasionally).
Fenders: SKS to be installed very soon.
Computer: Cateye Mity 8 (old fashioned - wired.)
Pedals: "Campus Pedals" from Performance Bike. Plain on one side and with SPD clip on the other.

touring/gravel grinder wheels?

Just curious --- Do you use the same wheeelset for on-road touring as you do for off-road touring? Maybe a smaller rim with a 28mm tire for road touring and then a wider rim/tire combo for off-road type trips? JoeRead More »

Surly LHT vs Trek 520 vs Fuji Touring vs Nashbar Steel Touring Bike?

What are your opinions of the [URL="http://surlybikes.com/bikes/long_haul_trucker"]Surly LHT[/URL], [URL="http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/touring/520/520/"]Trek 520[/URL], [URL="http://www.fujibikes.com/bike/details/touring"]Fuji Touring bike[/URL] and the [URL="http://www.nashbar.com/bike ... Read More »

Up graded Trek 1983 720 touring bike.

I have noticed some questions about upgrading the Trek 720 touring bike. This is some of my experience with my bike. I purchased a Trek 720 frame in 1984. Using the components from a Schwinn 10 speed, I now had a complete bike. Over the years I upgraded the brakes from caliper to cantilever (add ... Read More »

Vintage Sport Touring Bikes?

I am itching to pick up one or two vintage sport touring steel bikes (70s to 90s). Will use them more for the sport aspect rather than touring. I realize none will be lightweight but being on the lighter side would be appreciated. Also inexpensive used prices would also be appreciated. I am not fami ... Read More »

Touring clothes

I'm going to be doing a 10 day bike tour in France with my CX bike. we'll do about 45-55 miles a day. What clothes do you recommend? I have the standard roadie kits. Wondering if I should be using casual cycling clothes made by the likes of SWRVE, and Club Ride. Also, how many sets of clothes ... Read More »