Fuji Bicycles Touring Touring Bike

Headset: 1" threadless FSA Roller Bearing
Front Der: Shimano Tiagra Triple, bottom-pull/clamp-on 28.6mm
Crankset: Cyclone Cold Forged, 30/42/52 teeth
Rear Der: Shimano Deore SGS
Pedals: Wellgo road w/clips and straps
Tires: 700 x 30c Ritchey Tom Slick

Submitted by Robert a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2015

Strengths:    It seemed like a decent bicycle for the price.

Weaknesses:    The forward facing drop out for the rear wheel axle. - When I replaced the hub with a security spindle, any major torque on the rear wheel, say going up a hill, would force the rear wheel out of the drop out. This may be a problem with the chosen security spindle, but I'm still a bit leery of a directly forward facing drop out now.

Catastrophic front fork failure.

Poor response from Fuji regarding the quality of their bikes.

I use the bicycle to commute to and from work. I was on the street, going down a hill when the front fork snapped on both sides, dumping me onto the pavement on my face. When the shop I bought the bicycle from contacted Fuji, Fuji told them I was lying and that the bicycle had clearly been through a major crash involving collision with a car or curb. There was no such collision.

I purchased the bicycle new, and owned the bicycle for 18 months prior to the crash (Purchased Oct 2013, fork failureApril 2015). The bicycle has an estimated 3000km on it (approximately 2000 miles).

Bottom Line:
Do not buy this bicycle. It is only through sheer luck that the injury due to the front forks snapping was not worse. (a bit of road rash to my lower face, and a scratch that probably should have had a stitch or two in it). The forks snapped about 80% of the way through, then the remaining metal bent until the front wheel touched the frame, the frame then bent around the wheel, causing me to go up over the wheel and straight into the pavement.

Submitted by Gray Hodge a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2015

Strengths:    Good touring bike for a reasonable price, solid, able to take a load.

Weaknesses:    Paint job, thin and poor. Spokes rusting after 15 months from purchase.

Bottom Line:
Good bike for those who don't want to spend $3-4000. I replaced the tires, tubes, rack, pedals for better quality. Rusting in the spokes is an issue. Saddle is passable. Feet come too close to the front wheel even thought the frame size is right.

Good entry level touring bike, but serious Tourers might want something better.

Submitted by Alf Williams

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2014

Strengths:    Very good value for money. Stable but still a blast to ride. Bombproof wheels and tyres. Greater than the sum of it's parts.

Weaknesses:    Heavy. Could do with better quality bar end shifters. Brakes are just about OK and nothing special.

Bottom Line:
After a long time away from cycling I'm using this bike for fitness and recreation but will probably tour on it next year. My normal ride before work is a 12-mile loop consisting of a 6-mile road ride, a 2-mile section through a forest which includes a bit of 'strada bianchi' and a 4-mile 'big ring' road ride back home. I had £50 worth of free accessories when I bought mine so bought SKS mudguards which look good. I was going to change the wheels for something lighter but they're proving to be bombproof and the 32c's tyres haven't given me any problems over the past four months.

Submitted by edng

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2013

Strengths:    Stealth silent cassette
Climbs like a dream
Stable and not twitchy at speed
Great price point $1000 for the quality
Matt Gunmetal paintjob beautiful

Weaknesses:    Bike was shipped WITHOUT pedals and straps. Bummer

Bottom Line:
Paid US$999 to have it shipped to me in Singapore. I have the 2013 Gunmetal grey metal with red stickers. Really skinny bike compared to the alu bike I got rid of

It took almost 3 months to arrive and my LBS was advised that Fuji doesnt make the Touring frame regularly but needed to collect enough orders every couple of months before building the frames

With the rack and pedals installed weighed in at 11.2kg which was pretty light off the bat

Everything worked and the brakes are excellent stoppers although I'll swap out the pads to compound pads when they wear out

Ride is very smooth with the wheels pumped at 80psi

It climbs like a dream and on the flats, its very comfortable. Its geometry does not lend it to being nimble but its ride is extremely stable

Comment about the Oval components. Never heard of Oval before I received the bike. I had my doubts being non-Shimano and non-SRAM . So far so good.

The rear cassette is virtually silent which is a very pleasant surprise ..... coasting almost silent and the ride exudes a sense of tranquility and peacefulness when freewheeling through a park or quiet lane

Replaced the Oval saddle with my Brooks b17. The saddle absolutely complements the bike's character

Submitted by Carl Vinson

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2012

Strengths:    Ride stability, weight compared to some other touring bikes.

Weaknesses:    I replaced the seat but that is such a matter of personal taste that it may not matter to others. Also due to an accident (operator error), I replaced the wheelset, though I do not believe any rim could have withstood the damage. Still, I had been told that someday I should replace them so that is why I gave less than 5 overall rating. Also the rear rack Fuji included was not strong enough for my normal loads.

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2008 Touring new in late 2010 so the specs are slightly different, but not much, from the current model. This was my first touring bike, though I had toured some on a mountain bike. I am very happy with the Fuji and am not really likely to ever replace it. The ride is stable, the drive train componentry is very functional and reliable. I believe it is a very good value.