Jamis Aurora Elite Touring Bike

• SRAM 10 speed chain with PowerLock
  • Avid Shorty 4 cantilever brakes

Submitted by Gearguy

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2014

Strengths:    Great price,rides good,looks good.

Weaknesses:    Great for light touring and casual riding not heavy touring

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in 09 after I tore a patella tendon in my knee. I am 6'5 230 lbs and I have never had a bike fit me this well. I could not get a custom bike to fit me as good as this one does. It rides smooth, brakes are o.k. but not great. I replaced the seat with a brooks b 17, use brooks handlebar tape, and put woody's fenders on it. It looks great although a little heavy now but I ride for fun and to keep in shape, not race anyone. Overall this is a great bike that I will never sell or get rid of.

Submitted by Dan Billsky a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2012

Strengths:    Smooooooth ride on bad roads, great brakes.

Weaknesses:    For me, bars too low and gearing not low enough. Stock fenders are ugly, don't fit well, and my toes hit the front one when turning. Oh, and the seat post keeps slipping down.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in order to get back into bicycling after an extended absence, and have really enjoyed it so far. The roads around where I live are beat to snot, but the bike just floats over the worst of it. It's also very hilly around my neck of the suburbia, and have come to appreciate how strong and fade free the brakes are on the downhills.

On the long uphills, though, I find myself running out of gears to spin my not-yet-in-bicycling-condition self up without having to grind the pedals and constantly correct the steering due to how pitifully slow I'm going. Hopefully this situation will improve as my fitness is restored.

To make the bike more old-guy comfortable, I replaced the seat with a ubiquitous Brooks B-17 (which, despite the general consensus that it takes many hundreds of miles to break in, felt great to me from mile 1) and put on a taller bar stem.

After hitting my toes repeatedly on the front fender when I turn the bars (size 13 feet, mind you), I finally gave up and removed both fenders. Someday I'll replace them with some better looking, snugger-fitting fenders.

I've also had a problem with my seatpost slipping down around an inch every few miles, which is very irritating. I'm not sure if this happens because of a flaw somewhere in the design or because I weigh 225 pounds (but dropping!) and ride on bumpy roads. But I need to find a solution for this!

Sounds like I'm not happy with my bike, given all the complaints, but I so enjoy cruising around with it that I can't help give it no less than 5 stars overall.

Favorite Ride:   Marin back roads

Submitted by Bob a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2011

Strengths:    Higher quality 631 teel on main tubes
Sram Apex groupo
Price to value
Color coordinated rear rack and good looking
Nice metallic paint

Weaknesses:    Stock fenders and seat
Crank is FSA and not Sram Apex
Heavy

Bottom Line:
Excellent steel frame bike for the price. I bought the discounted 2011 model which is also the only year Jamis offered the Sram Apex groupo (except for the crank. Love the shifting and gear ratios though may change to the Gore cabling later. Bike rides smooth due to frame and 32mm tires. Very comfortable sitting position.

Favorite Ride:   Jamis Aurora Elite

Purchased At:   Bikesport - Seattle,

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Synapse

Bike Setup:   Added Thomson Masterpiece seatpost with Fizik Aliante seat
HB wheelset with Shimano XT hubs and Velocity A33 rims

Submitted by ahren a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2011

Strengths:    Reynolds 631 (all others use 520 or 4130)
Nice rack included
Disc brakes (don't look to good, but stop on a dime)
Solid wheels and tires
Nice seat post and handle bars

Weaknesses:    1)Tires max out at 35 without fenders, 32 with.
2)SRAM rival or 2012 model 105 triple does not offer a wide enough gear range.
3)Handlebars dont come up high enough.
4) Fenders are ugly and semi functional.

Bottom Line:
Best production almost "touring" bike under $2500. (Its not really a touring bike)
Sure you can get a co-motion or a Bruce Gordon but you'll pay the same price for just a frame and fork. That is the price you pay to support a cottage industry of passionate builders. And I plan on getting a US made bike as soon as my budget affords it. I don't really consider this bike a touring bike as the gear range is quite narrow and it wont take anything bigger than a 35c tire. But aside from that it's a great bike. Light and responsive. Handlebars could come up about 3-4 more inches to achieve comfortable riding position. I ride it everyday to work and occasional S24H tours. It serves my purposes quite well. I had to swap out the drive train for a sugino triple and XT derailleurs, w. dura ace bar end shifters.
I think this bike is an incredible value and will enjoy it, but can't wait till I can afford a USA made bike.

Favorite Ride:   Jamis Aurora Elite