Jamis Aurora Touring Bike

4.55/5 (29 Reviews)

Road bikes are too light duty. Mountain and city bikes are too heavy duty. Welcome to the Just Right world of Aurora Elite, Aurora and Bosanova, the road bikes for smart urban speedsters and cyclo-tourists. Legendary Reynolds steel is our chassis material of choice, for its unbeatably robust performance and the resilient ride-damping you’ll appreciate while loaded up and bombing around on the streets and rural backroads. This is magic stuff, especially for full pannier touring and rough-road adventures. This year’s rides are simply better and lighter— Aurora makes use of a long-cage road derailleur for supersmooth shifting and the uphill hauling capability of a super-low 26x28 gear commanded by travel-friendly bar-end shifters and sports new full-coverage/fully adjustable fenders.

Submitted by Rod Hewlett

Date Reviewed: December 16, 2012

Strengths:    Great all round bike - not a speed demon, but steady and comfortable.

Weaknesses:    Seat needs to be replaced. I added a Brooks B17 - after a few hundred miles it was pure bliss

Bottom Line:
Outstanding bike. I can do 100 miles on it with just one break and still feel good at the end of the ride. I have nearly 3,000 miles on the bike and my rule of thumb is I ride my Jamis Quest on 100 miles or less and ride my Jamis Aurora on 100+ or multiday rides. My Aurora also does double duty as a summer commute bike - I substitute to a single speed during the winter. No mechanical issues - very reliable.

Great bike!!!

Submitted by Nigel Baldwin

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2012

Strengths:    Very stable handling, even with camping load, tough, very few weaknesses

Weaknesses:    Original 700/28 tyres not up to job, especially on back, now replaced with32s although a 35 will squeeze in.

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike in Vancouver for cross Canada frip in 2007. Averaged 95 miles a day en route to Halifax. Only problems 4 spoke breakages on rear wheel and Canadian roads slicing tyres. (they seem to have run out of tarmac on some highways). Incredibly comfortable bike- no soreness anywhere (with completely standard components including saddle) on the 3838 mile ride. No spoke breakages in the 5 years since I got back to UK- very carefully adjusted spoke tension. The rear gear cluster and chain needed replacing shortly after getting back to UK.

Submitted by Jordan a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2012

Strengths:    Smooth ride.
Love the bar-end shifters.

Weaknesses:    Being a novice I'm still a little naive to state any type of weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I bought a cheap Schwinn a couple months back to see if I liked "bike commuting". After a month I was ready for a upgrade. I picked up the 2012 Aurora from my LBS and I love it. I don't have anything to really compare it to, but so far all I can say is this is a "real bike". It rides smooth, shifts easy and has a very comfortable saddle. The pedals are a pain, but I'll put up with them for a bit until I decide to upgrade. Based on my limited experience I would highly recommend this bike.

Submitted by Bob a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2012

Strengths:    Value for the money-espcially with Reynolds 631 steel on main tubes
Nice metallic bronze paint job
Sram Apex group
Included rack with matching paint
Avid Disc brakes
Comfort ride

Weaknesses:    Welds could be smoother
Useless fenders

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2011 Jamis Aurora Elite on close-out and thought this was a great bargin for getting a Reynolds 631 steel frame with the new Sram Apex group and matching rear rack. This is my second steel Jamis bike - the first being the Coda Elite, but the flat bar and shifting was not to my liking on longer rides. This bike rides much smoother due to the frame and wider tires and I enjoy the Sram doubletap shifting. I changed to the Gore Pro cables and this has also helped make the shifting more responsive and waterproof. Nice looking bike with the metallic paint job, especially on a sunny day. Hate the new Jamis decals though - seems out of proportion. Like the geometry and tube design - though the welds could be smoother. This is the only year for the Sram group since they are changing back to Shimanos for 2012.

Purchased At:   Bikesport

Similar Products Used:   2007 Cannondale Synapse Sport, 2009 Jamis Coda Elite

Bike Setup:   Selle Italia Flight Max saddle, Fizik seatpost, Gore Pro cables, FSA compact bars

Submitted by John a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Strengths:    Rides very well when loaded.
No mechanical problems in 4 years (light use).
Deals well with potholes, rough pavement.

Weaknesses:    Terrible stock pedals--scalloped metal edges very painful to use. Replaced immediately.

Bottom Line:
Lucky find: unused 2001 model picked up in 2007. Very good on all day rides. My first quality bike, and a comfortable fit for me--even the saddle, to my surprise. A good entry-level long haul rider. Good around town, too.

Favorite Ride:   Bike the Drive

Purchased At:   Johnny Sprockets

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn World Traveler, Schwinn Continental.

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new pedals (MKS-GR9). Added rack, Ortlieb panniers.

Trip to Aurora, Colorado

My family and I are travelling to Colorado the first week of May. My wife will has been out there several times and will be spending a lot of time with her extended family. This is my first trip. I am contemplating spending the extra money for a travel case and trying to get some rides in. Having no ... Read More »

Aurora Mass Murder - They Knew V3.0

In the continuing saga of knowing arm crazy people so they can murder your friends and famioly, the man accused of opening fire on an Aurora movie theater told a classmate he wanted to kill people four months before the shooting, newly released court records allege. Prosecutors made the allegatio ... Read More »

Aurora Mass Murder: They Knew Part II

A variety of news sources (CNN/FOX/ABC/NPR)* are now reporting the school psychiatrist treating accused Aurora theater gunman James Holmes was so concerned about his behavior that she notified other members of the University of Colorado Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment team that he could ... Read More »

This Is the Obama-Aurora Billboard Everyone's Talking About

And the beats goes on, lada lada de, lada lada da... [url]http://news.yahoo.com/obama-aurora-billboard-everyones-talking-203448772.html[/url] PAX :cool:Read More »

Denver/Aurora commuting Help?

So Id like to start commuting to work from about Alameda and tower to peoria and 33rdish. Google maps has me on Airport to colfax, which seems a little dangerous. I drive the road every day and I dont think ive seen a cyclist on it and for good reason. Anyone out here know good alternate routes o ... Read More »