Novara Randonee Touring Bike

4.43/5 (7 Reviews)

Entry level touring bike. Reynolds 520 frame.

Submitted by Sonny Garcia a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2011

Strengths:    In expensive
Smooth

Weaknesses:    I wish it had disc brakes

Bottom Line:
First it is not a 2007 it is 2010. Drop down needs to be updated.
Everything is standard off the shelf that came with the bike. Added Jand front rack and Serfa Saddle. Ortlieb front panniers, and Office Pannier. 34 RT to work.

Favorite Ride:   Commute to Work

Submitted by Rob a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2010

Strengths:    Comfortable ride. Able to carry weight. Easy to attach fenders. Set up for 3 water bottle holders. Cheaper then comparable bikes.

Weaknesses:    Wish brakes had more grab. Uncomfortable seat. Heavy (but this expected). Lower end components (also expected).

Bottom Line:
This is a great commuting and touring bike. I ride 45-46 miles RT 5 days a week and it does the job well. It has a comfortable riding position and provides a smooth ride. I can easily carry all of my clothes and lunch on this frame.

Favorite Ride:   commute to work

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Trek. Old steel frame road bike.

Bike Setup:   Added / changed out to: SKS fenders, B-17 Saddle, Mavic a719 rims, Deore XT hubs, Carradice handlebar and saddlebag.

Submitted by Lee a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2010

Strengths:    I hit a curb straight on...it was an "oh s***". Not a trace of damage! I weigh 185. I still can't believe it.

Weaknesses:    The brakes could be better. Need more grab.

Bottom Line:
I had a Novara Strada bike before this and it was just too much a race bike. I got the Randonee and love it. Heavy yes, and that's ok. This is a bike you feel at home on immediately. The steele frame and longer wheelbase make for a nice ride. More stable that the Strada.

Favorite Ride:   Novara Randonee

Submitted by cny-bikeman a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2009

Strengths:    Basic, no nonsence components, wide gear range, excellent tires and a very sturdy rack (actually a bit overbuilt).

Weaknesses:    The paint is very easily scratched and the color choice is an ugly brown (2008 model). I found the stem to be too long for a touring bike and the frame size (120mm on a 54 cm frame) and I ride more stretched out and lower than most tourists.

Bottom Line:
The Randonee is a well thought out Touring bike that would also serve well for commuting. The paint is very easily scratched and the color choice is an ugly brown (2008 model). The stem is way too long for a touring bike and the frame size (120mm on a 54 cm frame, and I ride more stretched out and lower than most tourists.

Purchased At:   REI mail order *sale

Similar Products Used:   Trek 520 (2005 purchased used and resold due to poor gearing range.

Bike Setup:   Stock so far except for stem change.

Submitted by bropp a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    The frame is very solid and the compontens are good. The rack is high quality also. Inertia Designs panniers are the best.

Weaknesses:    The paint is awful. It comes right off.

Bottom Line:
A great bike. I love it. I would buy another one.

Favorite Ride:   North Tier

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Specialized alley, but that is a road bike.

Bike Setup:   Inertia Designs rear panniers. Topeak XL waterbottle holder for Nalgele 48 oz Silo bottle. If you mount water bottle cages on the brazeons on the fork you can put rice and other heavy food in them, eliminating the need for front panniers.

REI Novara Randonee

A couple of questions. First, what's the general opinion of the Randonee? From what I hear, it compares very favourable to a Surly Long Haul Trucker. I'm 6'2", 185 lb and I've heard they have a bit of a short geometry, making it more of an upright ride, opinions? Also, I know that REI offers it ... Read More »

Novara Randonee

CL find of the weekend, as-acquired. Tange 2 tubing, canti brakes, deer's head Deore, Biopace, 27" wheels.Read More »

D2R2-Deerfield Dirt Road Randonee

I headed down to Deerfield, Mass this weekend to ride in my first D2R2. The ride is a 116 miles with just under 15,000 feet of climbing on 80% dirt roads through beautiful New England hillside farm country. I had heard that this ride is an Epic not to be missed and I was not disappointed. It was a v ... Read More »

Novarra Randonee

Anyone riding this bike? I sold my 2006 Trek 520 last year (along with many other of my bikes). Looking a new touring bike thinking of the REI - almost the same bike.Read More »

REI Navaro Randonee touring bike

Was at my local REI today and took a quick look at their touring bike. I know this bike has been around for a good while but I was hoping that I could get some real world feedback from anyone out there who has one and has done some self supported tours on it. I am planning my first tour on the Nat ... Read More »