Surly Long Haul Trucker Touring Bike

4.57/5 (35 Reviews)

The Long Haul Trucker is built, as you might expect, as a touring bike. But it does a lot of other stuff good too, like commuting, day trips, double centuries, and of course beer runs. We set it up with a triple crank, a reasonably wide-range rear gear cluster, and large-ish, comfy tires. Add racks and you’re ready to haul. We mean it. The frame is designed to be stable and supple fully loaded with gear. Other bikes, 'converted' touring bikes you might call them, simply don’t handle big loads as well. The Long Haul Trucker, like all our frames, is steel, because steel rides way better than aluminum or carbon fiber, and for less money. It’s got rack and fender mounts front and rear, three bottle mounts, even a spare spoke holder.

Submitted by joe a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2013

Strengths:    looooonnnng chainring. Its like driving a cadillac. very smooth ride and handles well. Easy to ride and comfortable. Nice steel shock absorbing frame; WIde tires allow for some offroad experiences.

Weaknesses:    BRAKES; Bar End Shifters, 26 inch wheels

Bottom Line:
So, I got the LHT without knowing much about it but needing a commuter slash touring rig. I went with the 26er, which in retrospect may have been a mistake. No matter what anyone says, it will never be as fast as a 700c. But its fine and I liked the idea of more tire options as we often ride in very remote areas of foreign countries. I also commute to and from work five days a week. Overall, it is a solid well built machine. The long chain ring makes fro very smooth ride and it manuvers very well. you can jump curbs if you like and the steel frame is comforting. It is an average climber for what it is. Folks whine that it is heavy? of course it is heavy. and it climbs like it is. But there again, its fine. The BIGGEST dissapointment of this bike is the BRAKES! they SUCK. I me SUCK. Immediately remove the stock pads and replace with the best pads you can find. Even then you will wish you went with the disk trucker. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. I am not looking forward to going down steep switchbacks fully loaded on this bike with the brakes it came with, even with new pads. So, learn from my mistakes; get a disk trucker with 700c wheels and you will have the best of all worlds.

Favorite Ride:   my yeti

Purchased At:   bike store local

Similar Products Used:   lots and lots of different bikes;

Submitted by 60 year old Road Rash

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2013

Strengths:    The Surly must be fully loaded to enjoy. My model is 2011 and fitted with Salsa racks in the front, standard rack in the rear. The inaugural tour was just under 1000 miles and 70 mile days common.

Weaknesses:    Replace the seat with a Brooks and, after break-in, you are set to go. The bar end shifters become intuitive after a few days on the road.

Bottom Line:
The Surly is made to tour. When going out for group rides, use another bike!

Submitted by Votsek a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2012

Strengths:    Just upgraded to a 2012 LHT after riding the Erie Canalway from Buffalo to Albany with my old clunker. I enjoy touring and will typically carry 50 pounds of gear. Took it for a break-in ride today. This bike fits well. It's comfortable, even with the factory seat and pedals. I had it fitted and set up by a knowledgable dealer. I'm 6'4" tall and 220 pounds. The frame is solid and handles rough surfaces well. Some people don't like the bar-end shifters, but I think that they are easy to learn to use. Shifting is flawless and becomes intuitive. I was using straight bars with extensions on my old bike. The geometry of drop bars on the LHT offers more ride positions and I feel my endurance and power improved as a result. I don't miss my bar extensions. The gearing is for touring and offers great range for hills with a fully loaded bike. BTW, the MSRP is out of date, but at the current price it's still well worth it.

Weaknesses:    The LHT has few weaknesses, if any. I think that you need to do some research and test ride before you buy a bike. Bikes are all different and you need to find one that satisfies all of your personal preferences. For me, the LHT is the perfect bike.

Bottom Line:
For the price point, this is a quality machine. If you tour and carry a lot of gear, this is a great bike.

Favorite Ride:   Erie Canalway

Purchased At:   Harris Cyclery, Newt

Bike Setup:   Stock with Tubus Logo rear pannier rack, SKS fenders, and Topeak handlebar bag

Submitted by Reed a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2011

Strengths:    Stable, durable, utilitarian, and comfortable. If you're looking for a bike built for touring, I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to get out and pick one up. This bike has been wonderful on countless all-day rides. If you can only afford one bike, this bike works great as a commuter bike as well.

Weaknesses:    If you pick up a complete LHT, the saddle will need to be replaced if you're going to do any touring. Also, the bar-end shifters can be awkward if you ever find yourself riding out of the saddle on a hill or in a sprint. This is typically only an issue while using the bike as a commuter as it's rare you'll find yourself in a sprint on a fully loaded bike.

Bottom Line:
The Long Haul Trucker is a great steel frame bike built specifically for bicycle touring. With a lower bottom bracket and long chain stay, the bike is made to stay stable with the extra weight of touring and give you a little extra clearance between your heal and rear panniers. The LHT also has a ton of braze-ons for racks and fenders, extra spokes stashed on the frame in case you break some, and room for wider tires (“fatties fit fine”) for a cushier ride. It seems this bike is becoming more and more popular which is a great testament to its quality and durability. This bike does what it was designed to do very well!

I have photos of my setup here:

Favorite Ride:   Anything that's one-way!

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Novara Safari, Specialized Crosscheck

Bike Setup:   Stock setup from REI.

Submitted by ian shafer a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2011

Strengths:    steel frame is awesome soaks up bumps and vibration better that a big shocked MTB.
a lot of Shimano XT parts and the bar end shifters are the higher end ones( these take some time to get used to but are pretty easy when you get the hang of it).

Weaknesses:    cork tape on handle bars is EHHH.

Bottom Line:
got this bike mainly for the 20+ mile round trip commute. huge improvement over my trek 3500. really want to do a century or two a year but not this year. still every thing this bike came with is top notch i only changed out the seat for a brooks flyer.
changed out stem for a kalloy uno adjustable. also put on schawble marathon plus tires. this bike is awesome right out of the box but i wanted some special features that would suit me better.

Favorite Ride:   surly LHT

Purchased At:   Ernie's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   this is my first road bike.

Bike Setup:   stock other than seat, tires and stem.

Surly : Cross check or Long haul trucker

Hello all I didn't know where to start this thread to get better opinions, but probably here is the best. [B]The situation[/B] I have a commuter/touring/all purposes bike, built using a Cyclocross frameset form the Swiss brand "Price" these are just taiwanese frames, painted and branded loc ... Read More »

Picked up the Long Haul Trucker today

I picked up the new Long Haul Trucker today. I got the 56cc frame with 26 inch rims. I had a friend drop me off so I could ride it home. I couldn't bring myself to put it in the car and drive it home. I had the B17 Special with me. I bought it earlier in the week and treated it to get it ready. ... Read More »

surly long haul trucker, commuter?

Any one know of a better option in that price range? 1075 complete. I'm 6'4" and am looking for a minimum top tube of 60cm, 61 would be better. 10 miles each way.Read More »

Surly's Long Haul Trucker Complete VS Cross Check Complete?

I'm wondering which bike from Surly is the better everyday commuter? Surly's Long Haul Trucker or thier Cross Check. I would like to have a bike that I wouldn't have to do anything to and they both look like really good options but I'm not to sure about the LHT because of the fact that the size I ne ... Read More »

Yearend review of the Surly Long Haul Trucker

I've pulled together the bulk of my postings about my Surly Long Haul Trucker into one big year-end review. If you want to see how to add a second stem to get your handlebar bag down lower, how to build a wheel around a SON generator, how to install a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo R N Plus headligh ... Read More »