Bianchi Pista Track Bike

Pedals: Wellgo clipless
Tires: 700 x 23c Continental Sport 1000

Submitted by cornbreadcowboy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2010

Strengths:    Smooth ride, great geometry for riding on the road (toe overlap is not too noticeable, also not outlandishly aggressive like some track frames) I feel like I could ride all day on it.

Weaknesses:    Some weird parts come on it, I.E. WTB laser mtb saddle, 1" threadless cheap @$$ headset, cheap WTB tires made out of the hardest rubber compound in the world, etc. Some other components were also unnecessarily heavy (THE BARS AND STEM WEIGH LIKE 10 POUNDS!!!)

Bottom Line:
Amazing bike, no issues really. Rides awesome, and is bombproof, but still under 18lbs the way I have it set up. Be careful if you choose to switch cogs, I think I may have messed up my chainline. I switched the front to a 44 and geared down a tooth in the back, resulting in a noticeably more noisy chain. The new gear is easier to turn over and helps me get a good high cadence workout, without tearing my legs off when I go down a hill.

Favorite Ride:   all rides

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   Trek T1, Felt TK2

Bike Setup:   Cane Creek SCR brake in the front, Easton EA70 oversized bar and stem (need shim for stupid 1" steerer), Campagnolo Record carbon post, Dura Ace 15t cog and some random 44t ring in front. Also Verdestein Fortezza Tricomps multiply the the comfort of the frame tenfold. The above swaps result in a sub-18lb bike without sacrificing durability. I plan on building some nice wheels for it too, the stock ones stay pretty true, but leave a lot to be desired.

Submitted by 1098 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2009

Strengths:    Good bike for the price. I got my money's worth out it, at least 220 miles a week. I'll take steel over alumnium any day of the week.

Weaknesses:    I found the front crank bearings make some noise and also a little stiff. One of these days I change the bearing system, Spokes in rear wheel a little weak for hill climbing.

Bottom Line:
Purchased after riding a friends Pista, enjoyed the workout. Average ride is approx. 40 miles although I have taken it to 80 miles a couple of times. Alot of fun powering up hills.

Favorite Ride:   Bunker Hill

Purchased At:   Williamson Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Nothing real similar have a K2 Mountain Bike that seems to gather alot of dust these days and a Vintage Masi Grand Criterion that looks great hanging on the wall but does get taken down for a workout from time to time.

Bike Setup:   Added a front brake for extra safety, clipless pedals, heavier spokes in the rear that cured the rim tru-ing problem which I can attribute to all the climbing and went to a kevlar belted tire to deter flats. Going to address the front crank bearings this year in hope to make it smoother.

Submitted by Steelbicyclist a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2009

Strengths:    Tracks like its on a train track but can turn quickly. The exquisite "gang green" color combined with the multicolored Speedblend tires gives this bike a very unigue appearance.
The fixed attribute of this bike makes every rolling hills ride a great workout.

Weaknesses:    There is an annoying noise in the BB/crank area that I need to have taken care of.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike because I needed a backup bike and didn't want to spend a lot of money. I also wanted to improve my cadence although I do not race--far from it.
This is my first track bike. In the past, I've ridden road bikes converted to fixed but it aint the same. There is something magical about this Bianchi Pista track bike. It tracks straight as an arrow but can turn on a dime. I've had to change out the handlebars and stem to bring the reach in. I added a freewheel on the flip side and changed to chainwheel to a smaller one given the rolling hills around here. Larger tires to accommodate my 225# clydesdale weight smoothed out the ride considerably. It probably weighs a little too much to race but it is well lighter than my steel road bike so it's fine by me.
When it came time to replace the chain for the first time recently, I upgraded to a Wipperman Connex which is the strongest chain in a 3/32. The side plates are so thick, I can't use my chain breaker on it. I wanted a super strong chain as I use the chain to brake and with my weight, I don't want it flying apart. It looks badass too.

Purchased At:   Wheelfine Imports, L

Similar Products Used:   My other bike is a Rivendell Romulus.

Bike Setup:   Cinelli deep drop road handlebars,
Shorter bar stem (90mm),
Brooks Pro leather saddle,
Track peddles with straps,
Rivendell speedblends 28mm tires,
seat stem mounted waterbottle cage,
Blinkies front and rear,
Shimano 105 brake up front,
Stop watch (Casio G-shock) mounted on handlebar so I can time myself on one-minute sprints.

Submitted by Sean a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2008

Strengths:    Simple, Functional, Light (to me, after riding a mountain bike forever), easily customizable, looks sweet.

Weaknesses:    None yet...other than no brakes. I know its a SS, but still, Im not a trained skidder. I think a front brake will do for now and Ill be a "cool" person later.

Bottom Line:
I was comparing several bikes and decided on this because it was in my face and ready to go. Im just a weekend rider, nothing hardcore, ride my Mt. Bike occasionally and just love riding for the exercise and enjoying the moment - not being at work.

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere around town...

Purchased At:   LBS in Dublin, CA

Similar Products Used:   None - First Road/Track Bike. Only rode Moutain Bikes before this one.

Bike Setup:   So far...AlphaQ Seat Post, ITM Stem, Deda Bar. Slapping on King Headset, Possibly changing to a 44T, and need a front brake. Any cheapy will do. Unlike most, I hate my chrome parts. I have a 2008 (Blue), and tried offing all the chrome for Black. Im just a picky character...

Submitted by Noah Levey a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2008

Strengths:    inexpensive
solid, comfortable ride
easy to work on
light
very agile and responsive, even at slow speeds
looks sooo nice!
with the chain properly tensioned and oiled, it is an ABSOLUTELY SILENT RIDE. I mean, NO SOUND AT ALL. ninja bike!

Weaknesses:    ok. the bolts that hold the end cap onto the stem, and also the ones which hold the horizontal seat clamp together are made of a REALLY soft metal, and they strip way too easily. also, stock bars suck; I know they are trad 'track' bars, but the are really uncomfortable (another reviewer mentioned the same outward wrist angle problem) and I switched them out. other parts are a bit fragile, such as back hub spacer nuts (probably my fault, overtightened) which cracked after a while. so far, no crankarm/bolt issues. fingers crossed...figured I've had it a year now, and no problems so far...also, I think that Bianchi may have fixed that problem in later models.

Bottom Line:
fair to say that this bike has treated me pretty good! I've had it for about a year now, and loved it from the minute I got it. I had never ridden fixed before, but after trying it out at the shop, it only took a few minutes to get used to it. I had them hook me up with a brake for emergencies, which I ended up taking off after a month or so. it's safe to say that these bikes are very very common, but with a little thought, some money and time, you can really make it your own individual ride. hooked up the way it is now it gets alot of comments, even from the hardcore messenger types. I'm a year in on this bike, and I dont see any reason for me to switch, as I absolutely love it and it's a dream to ride!

Favorite Ride:   N. Philly-Manayunk

Purchased At:   Bicycle Stable

Similar Products Used:   this is the first bike I've owned in 20-25 years.

Bike Setup:   stock chrome Pista frame/forks w/decals stripped
stock stem/Cane Creek headset
stock chrome seat/seatpost
silver Velocity Deep V track wheelset w/ silver Velocity track hubs
Soma chopped bulls (white Fizik tape)
TruAtiv cranks
MKS track pedals with cages/ white Christophe straps
white/black Vredestien Fortezza Tricomp tires
Reload silver top tube pad

Silca Super Pista Pump

Brand new, $34ish bones shipped. [url=http://www.amazon.com/Silca-Super-Pista-Floor-Pump/dp/B007FNAOZG]Amazon.com: Silca Super Pista Floor Pump (Black): Sports & Outdoors[/url] *UPDATE*. Looks they they JUST changed the free shipping on orders over $35! -Look at the lower right hand corner ... Read More »

Silca Super Pista Pump

Get one now newbs, only three left. Brand new, $33ish bones shipped. I'll be sending this over to Hot Deals soon, wanted to post here "FIRST!" *Update* Looks like they JUST changed the pricing to " free shipping " on orders over $35. [url=http://www.amazon.com/Silca-Super-Pista-Floor-Pump/dp ... Read More »

NOS Campy Pista Pedals on ebay

[url=http://www.ebay.com/itm/271373644419?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649]Vintage Campagnolo Road Pedals Never Installed | eBay[/url] Now, if I only had the1981 Bianchi Superleggera I want so badly.Read More »

Bianchi Pista with a basket or panniers: Practical or Sacrilegious?

So, I live in New York City and own three bikes: 2 nice road bikes for 'serious' rides and a Bianchi Pista for tooling around town and errands. Only one problem with this scenario: I'd love to be able to carry things like groceries, etc. with a basket, rack or panniers. Is it practical to mount ... Read More »

PAID SPAM: Torelli Pista Speciale** FIXED**

Please take a look on my Torelli I am looking to part ways with. [url=http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=32457]** Torelli Pista Speciale 58cm**FIXED** - RoadBikeREVIEW.Com[/url]Read More »