Cannondale Capo Track Bike

• CAAD 5 Optimo Frame with
    * 73 Degree head tube angle for precision handling
    * 28.2 cm Bottom Bracket Height for pedaling through corners
    * 74.5 Degree Seat Tube angle to move the rider forward for fixed gear braking
  • Designed for a single speed drivetrain
  • Horizontal track dropouts
  • Simple chain adjustment: no chain tension device or guides required. 48Tx17T gearing
  • Single speed "flip-flop" rear hub that offers the option to convert to a fixed gear.
  • No braze-on cable stops for authentic track frame
  • Tektro brake-set that's ergonomic, sleek and lightweight

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by bikes4fun a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is great - very light, responsive, yet soaks up bumps well.

Weaknesses:    The component selection doesn't match a bike that the MSRP is over $900. The four bolt crank is very poor. On my second ride, a creak developed, so I detoured to the LBS where I purchased the bike. They removed the crank and tightened the BB (it was a bit loose). They reinstalled the crank and off I went. They crank worked loose upon reaching my desination (there is a short, but steep 300' hill to get over). I tightened the crank the best I could with my multitool (sure glad I brought it along). The crank worked loose again just before reaching home. I tightened it again (properly) with a regular 3/8" ratchet, but it worked loose by the time I got to the LBS (about 3 miles, mostly downhill).
    The plastic platform pedals also don't match the caliber of the frame. I would highly recommend they use the component makeup of the Raleigh - pedals with toe clips, Brooks saddle, and so forth.
    The bike is back with the LBS to work something out with the Cannondale rep for the crank. I rated it a 3 because of the faulty crank. I'll re-rate it if it gets fixed.

Bottom Line:
    2009 model year. I've been fascinated by the simplicity of single speed bikes, but haven't purchased one until now, as I didn't have enough leg strength to get it up the hills to home. The bike is responsive, but not twitchy, and is very easy to ride. Components are not up to par with the frame, especially the crank and/or bottom bracket. Brakes work well.

Favorite Ride:   28 mile round trip to Sandy Beach

Similar Products Used:   I tested the Specialized Langster (aluminum), Raleigh One Way, and Schwinn Madison. Each had its strengths and weaknesses at about the same price point. Others had better components. One that I didn't try was the Bianchi San Jose (I like the ability to use wider tires for commuting).

Bike Setup:   Bartape on the stock bar, Specialized Toupe saddle. MKS GR9 pedals with toeclips. If Cannondale can't fix the crank, I'll replace it with a Sugino model.

Submitted by alimeller a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Great frame, inexpensive. High bottom bracket so good on the track.

Weaknesses:    Brakes, bars, cranks are low end, but acceptable for the price point.

Bottom Line:
    Bought in 2008 (had to select 2007 as 2008 was not an option) to use as a fixed gear for training purposes, so quickly converted from single speed to fixie, and swapped bars and cranks to get correct sizing. A really nice inexpensive single speed/fixed gear, but low end components to keep the price low.
    Easy to convert to a decent track bike.

Favorite Ride:   Tuesday South (Anne Arundel) County Training Ride

Purchased At:   Bike Doctor Arnold

Similar Products Used:   I ride lots of road bikes (Canndonale, Scott, Trek), but this is the only fixed gear/track bike I have ridden.

Bike Setup:   On the road I upgraded to Campy Record brake levers and SRAM Red calipers, Toupe gel saddle, USE Alien seatpost, 42cm bars and 172.5mm cranks.
    I just started riding the track and found it easy to do with Origin 8 170mm track cranks, 46, 47 and 48 tooth chain rings, and a 14 cog. Swapped in Easton track bars and American Classic 420 track clincher wheels. This is not as flashy as a "full on" track bike, but it works very well.

Submitted by lgaston a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2009

Strengths:    - FRAME!!
    - very lightweight
    - flip flop hub allowing for fixie fun sometimes

Weaknesses:    - sub-par parts on a great frame
    - pedals...?
    - seems like they skimped on quality parts so they could colour match everything

Bottom Line:
    I actually have the 2009 model but the website wouldn't allow me to choose anything newer than 2007. I opted for the black and white colour scheme and yes it is a bit flashy. but i bought it for the frame with the intention of upgrading everything slowly. so far the only mods i have made is changing the disgusting rubber white grips to some black bontrager cork tape.
    I was very impressed with the super stiff ride that the aluminum frame had and it still manages to be light as a feather. the massive plastic BMW like pedals are... well confusing is really the only word i have to describe it. why not pot some road pedals on there. clipless pedals will be my next purchase. in general the components in this bike are fairly cheap. but that allowed me to acquire an amazing frame that is very rideable that i can build on.

Favorite Ride:   commute

Purchased At:   wild rock outfitters

Bike Setup:   stock with black bontrager cork tape

Submitted by Scott Ayler a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2009

Strengths:    Light weight, fast

Weaknesses:    Cheap components. Replace one at a time unless you are able to live with the white or white/purple components.

Bottom Line:
    Decided on the 2009 Canndale Capo with the black and white paint scheme after considering the high-end Specialized Langster frame and the Pinarello XTrack. (Decided on the less offensive black and white scheme over the triple grey with purple accents.)

The components on this bike are inexpensive and downright offensive for this quality frame. Replaced components with black anodized Phil Wood hubs, Profile Design bullhorn base bar, Sapim CX Ray spokes, Velocity Fusion rims, black FSA Energy brakes, White Industries freewheel, Sugino 75 black crank, Sugino 75 46T crainring, White Industries sealed BB, and a Selle Italia Prolink Gel seat.

Couldn't stand the white rims and cranks. The San Marco white seat is an abomination. Even the tape that is given is white! After a while, you realize Cannondale is trying to remind you of Moby-Dick.

Consider in changing the gearing. The 42x17 will make you spin too much. This was changed to 46x17 (much better).

This bike is worthy of every component upgrade even if it reaches the $2600 area. The stem and seatpost are fine, change everything else.

This frame has been around a while. It is tested through the pits of Hell and emerges a saint. Messengers and those who are simple roadies will love this bike.

Favorite Ride:   2009 Cannondale Capo

Purchased At:   Racine Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Langster (top frame), Pinarello XTrack.

Bike Setup:   Black anodized Phil Wood hubs, Profile Design bullhorn base bar, Sapim CX Ray spokes, Velocity Fusion rims, black FSA Energy brakes, White Industries freewheel, Sugino 75 black crank, Sugino 75 46T crainring, White Industries sealed BB, and a Selle Italia Prolink Gel seat.

Submitted by snoboarder77 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2008

Strengths:    Frame, frame, frame! Geometry, fork, race red color scheme. Shimano Sora brakeset is actually a fair component. Flip flop hub.

Weaknesses:    Pedals, carbon wrapped alloy seat post, does not come w/ a fixed cog, only singlespeed.

Bottom Line:
    I have the Red/White 2008. 2008 option was not in drop-down. Super fun bike. Until now, I did most of my riding offroad, down in the Palos forest preserve. That is until now. Now that I have this bike, I just want to ride roads. Its so much. Its super fast and light, it feels like a rocket.

I started looking for a fixed gear (simplicity reasons) to commute downtown on, running errands, and getting around city. I did a ton of research online. Didnt fully decide until I went in to lbs and started looking around. Saw some Langsters, Fillmores, Sohos, and Sputniks. As soon as I saw this bike, sitting there all alone, I knew I wanted it. After taking it for a spin, I fell in love.

As other posters have stated, the components will need to be upgraded. Unless your paying $5k for a bike, your components will most always need to be upgraded.

Favorite Ride:   any Chicago street

Purchased At:   Kozy's

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Langster, Lemond Fillmore.

Bike Setup:   Nitto RB018 Bullhorns, Paul Components left brake lever, Removed back brake, MKS GR9 pedals with Soma quad gate clips and double leather straps, Thomson Elite seatpost, and Formula 16t fixed cog (48x16)w/ Shimano lockring. I've ordered a EAI 15t cog, as I need more speed (plus Chicago is flat)!

Cannondale Capo BB help

G'day all, I just got myself a Cannondale Cappo and think it needs a new BB, I am not sure of which one will fit, if I was to do a search on eBay what would I search for? I am guessing it is 68mm?? but what other specs? Here's the bike. [ATTACH=CONFIG]283916[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]28391 ... Read More »

Cannondale Capo Fixie?

Okay, I know someone is going to beat me with the stupid stick, so, I really like the Capo Frame, and I rode one the other day as a fixie, but there are a few hills where I ride, so the "stupid question of the day is, can I upgrade to an internal shift rear axle". Now let me say, like most stupid id ... Read More »

CAAD5 Cannondale Capo

Ok, this may be a very stupid question, and I apologize in advance if I'm posting to the wrong forum. I just picked up a 2010 Cannondale Capo single speed. I'd like to get some modifications done, like replacing the wheels and the crank. It seems that there are various options, but nothing is really ... Read More »

Help me find these "CAPO" 2011 Capo Verona bibs"

I'm looking for a size Large. I looked all over the internet with no luck. All i can find, S,XL,XXL. Thank you. [url=http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2011-capo-verona-bib-shorts-10614.1804.0.html]2011 Capo Verona Bib Shorts - Competitive Cyclist[/url]Read More »

CAPO bib short sizing

Anyone else run into sizing issues with their bib shorts running small? According to their sizing chart i am supposed to be a large, returned those for an xl due to fitting too tight, but the xl's are still too small. BTW i am 6'1 w/ 34" waist... May put up XL Capo BOB bibs (unused) in classifieds s ... Read More »