Felt TK3 Track Bike

This track-specific Superlite aluminum frame is butted and shaped to withstand the rigors of track racing. Lightning-quick acceleration and maximum torsional stiffness make it competition-ready. Deep-section TKR-4 wheels and sturdy, lightweight components give you all you need in the race against the clock.

Submitted by Tom Marnell

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2015

Strengths:    High quality build. Solid and definitely fills the bill as a starter bike for the velodrome. If you are going to use it for the road you are doing it a disservice and spending too much.

Weaknesses:    If you stick with the track, it won't be long before you will start to change things.

Bottom Line:
A friend introduced me to riding at a velodrome early this year. I borrowed a basic Trek bike for 3-4 weeks then knew I had to have my own. First looked at used then decided on new and it came down to a comparable Fuji or the Felt TK3. I went with the Felt from a local knowledgeable shop rather than the Fuji which would come through an LBS. It was more than adequate to start, and it looked really good...very stealthy. The first change, almost immediately, was to get rid of the 3/32 drivetrain and go to the more standard 1/8. I did this because it was easier to find chainrings and cogs and if I was going to stick with it, I wanted the most standard setup...has nothing to do with the performance. After a few weeks of racing, I realized the drop on the handlebars were cool looking (old school) but way to much for me. Got rid of those and got a more compact and narrower set of Easton aluminum bars (saved weight and cut down on wind resistance as well). Replaced the seat with a lighter one that I already had (Felt seat was fine) then went the season learning and racing every weekend in this configuration. Most recently debated whether to replace the wheels and tires with Mavic Ellipses and "better" tires. Wasn't sure because the Ellipses and the Felt wheels had the same 30 mm profile. Regardless, I took the plunge and the net result with the Ellipses and more race oriented tires was a net savings of almost one whole pound. I'm pretty much done and have a very good training (and even racing) bike. My last purchase for next year will be a good set of aero wheels for race day. After all those changes you're wondering if the bike was worth it. The answer is yes because it has a great foundation (frame, fork, etc.) and it grew with me. Also, it's far from necessary to make these changes. For me, there's no need to buy another bike...doesn't mean I won't! Maybe I could have a training bike and a racing bike... Hope this helps you.

Submitted by Craig Feringa a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2010

Strengths:    Frame is light and stiff.

Weaknesses:    Would like to see bar tape all the way up for hot sweaty days. Paint scheme could be updated a bit.

Bottom Line:
2010 Model track bike. I usually ride road bikes, club rider. Tried the Velodrome and loved doing something different. Pure track orientation with high bottom bracket for banking clearance. I'm 5'11" and 175lbs and the bike is stiff enough and tracks well. Overall, a very good value and great starter track bike that you could upgrade.

Favorite Ride:   Bloomer Park Veledrome

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Pista (steel), Trek Track bike, Specialized langster (street fixie)

Bike Setup:   Stock