KHS Inc. Flite 100 Track Bike

Pedals: aluminum w/clips & straps
Tires: 700 x 23c KHS

Submitted by Francis Quinn a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2011

Strengths:    Nimble, responsive, fast Steel. Great aggressive yet subdued aesthetic.

Weaknesses:    The wheelset. (Even then these wheels are great if you don't lock up your wheel)

Bottom Line:
Ummm, well my back was a 2010 (I think). The color scheme is black/gold/white. It looks great and rides even better. Around turns, uphill, sprinting or just cruising, this bike feels GREAT. It is light, nimble, strong and fast. As for the components, that is a mixed bag. The front brake that came with the bike has performed well, however, the wheelset leaves one major thing to be desired; Cartridge bearings. You see, I often lock my rear wheel when coming to a stop, as many people do. Well, this resulted in my rear wheel becoming extremely loose (wobbling on the pin, bouncing between the brake pads). That may not be how it was intended to be slowed, but it is fun, and effective, and totally ok for your bike as long as you have cartridge bearings. I can't endorse this bicycle enough, but I almost insist on springing for a new rear wheel.

Favorite Ride:   1989 Centurion Ironman pro 712

Purchased At:   Cambridge bicycles,

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Pista

Bike Setup:   front and rear brakes. Bullhorn handlbars/black tape. Bar end brake levers.

Submitted by Bob Rusher a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2010

Strengths:    A little lighter than the basso, handles nimbly, no front end washout or instability in curves, feels great pedaling uphill. Would like to improve the components bit by bit. looking for a blog.

Weaknesses:    no breaks. I will put on a front before too much around town riding. It's great for on the block, riding in the neighborhood, and in marked bike lanes, etc.

Bottom Line:
Lots of fun, would like to work on upgrading the component. Looking for a blog for that.

Purchased At:   Energy Conservatory

Similar Products Used:   Never had a fixed gear bike. Had many racing bicycles but I'm just looking for a different bicycling buzz now. Oh, I'm 54.

Bike Setup:   Flite 100 frameset and fork. Richey scuzzy logic pro headset, origin8 pro-fit series, origin8 cranks and pedals, kalin seat stem, something carbon fiber above the headset, serfas rx seat, serfas seca fps tires, R450 alex rims, unmarked unidentified hubs. One of the mechanics picked the parts and put it together. I don't know if I got screwed on the parts but I like the bike.

Submitted by darkmother a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    Great bang for the buck-way too much fun for 500 dollars.
Excellent frame geometry-I like the steep angles and long top tube.
Solid, if not fancy parts selection, strong wheels.

Weaknesses:    Poor assembly quality: The hubs were adjusted way too tight, the cog, lock ring and cranks were all too loose.

Really, really crappy brake pads.

Possibly a little on the heavy side if you care about such things.

No water bottle mounts (but there are rack mounts on the seat stays-strange)

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 2008 version of the Flite 100. No idea if the 2009 is different.
I bought this bike to replace a vintage track frame that had cracked. I use it on the street, for training and commuting. Originally, I had wanted to buy just the frame and fork, but the complete bike was so inexpensive that I couldn't resist. I have been pleasantly surprised with the bike as a whole. Pretty much all of the components are solid and useable-I could pretty much ride it bone stock quite happily. The wheels have strong, good quality rims, 36 spokes and cup and cone hubs (which I prefer on bikes I ride in the rain and snow). The bike handles fantastically, and fits me really well-nice sizing for taller riders. The bike I bought was quite poorly assembled-the hubs were over tight and the fixed cog and lockring were both loose. Be sure to have a competent mechanic go over the bike if you are not up to this yourself.

Similar Products Used:   Tons of fixed gear/track bikes, all the usual suspects.

Bike Setup:   Stock, except wider drop bars with road brake levers, 25c tires, SPD clipless pedals.

Submitted by ryanatjjs a Commuter

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2008

Strengths:    Weight 21 lbs
PRICE
Packaging on delivery
Ease of use
Wheelset

Weaknesses:    cheap pedal straps
If you skid you will need to switch to new tires immediately. If not they're great.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike and am still thrilled that I just went for it.

This was a much better bike than I was expecting and for the price you can't beat it. It's my first fixed gear and I love how much more you can "feel the road" on a fixed. It also comes with a freewheel if you prefer single speed. The gear ratio is great for a beginner and I love that it comes with brakes, they have saved me on several occasions. It's super light (21 pounds) and the 165 cranks are short enough that they don't scrape on turns. On top of that, it just looks great and I get compliments everywhere I take it. If you're thinking about a first fixed gear this is by far the best option for you on a budget.

TIGHTEN THE LOCKRING WHEN YOU GET IT! My buddy got a Kilo (sister bike) and apparently they are loose on arrival.

Favorite Ride:   Motobecane Messenger

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   Mercier Kilo TT, Windsor The Hour, Various conversion projects

Bike Setup:   Continental Tires, Vuelta Team XRS wheelset

Submitted by mwood5 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2008

Strengths:    Great components, build quality, nice tubing is used throughout.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
I'm mainly an off-road guy, but wanted a road bike so I can tool around with my kids. This bike is so much more. It's a blast to actually just ride and not worry about what gear to be in, etc. I highly recommend this one as it seems fitted out better than some of the competition like the Langley's or Bianchi SS models.

Bike Setup:   Stock. What's to change?

khs flite 100 stem question.

[COLOR=#4D4D4D][FONT=Helvetica]50cm-90mm, 53cm-55cm=100mm, 57cm-60cm=110mm What does these specs mean? What size stem should I get from thomson. sorry for the noob questions. Thanks. specs listed below... [/FONT][/COLOR][h=2]The [URL="http://road-bikes.findthebest.com/l/1083/2012-KHS-Flite-100" ... Read More »

Felt TK3/KHS flite 100 or other?

yes yes, another first track bike post... I'm looking for a track bike to use on the velodrome + some alley cats/street sprints... but not so much as an urban fixie.... I would also use it for some training road rides... I saw a Felt TK3 the other day in a shop and was immediately taken by it ... Read More »

IRO mark V vs. KHS flite 100

I'm looking into purchasing a new bike and cant figure out which would be a better buy, any suggestions? thanks!Read More »

IRO mark V vs. KHS flite 100

I'm look at these two bikes and cant figure out which is a better purchase, any suggestions?Read More »

flite 100

does anyone know what the seatpost diameter of last years yellow flite 100 is? [url]http://www.khsbicycles.com/07_flite_100.htm[/url] thanksRead More »