Kona Paddy Wagon Track Bike

4.38/5 (8 Reviews)

Fixed or singlespeed Messenger/Touring.
Frame material: Dedaccia COM Chromoly

Submitted by Stephen Pearson a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2011

Strengths:    Style

Weaknesses:    I haven't really found any yet, but I will say that I feel every little bump. I come from a different world however, and I do understand that the steel is more forgiving than the aluminium...

Bottom Line:
So far, I love the look and feel of the bike. I added a rack on the back and some old egg beater pedals that I don't use any more. Also, a new Brooks B-17 Classic helps put it over the top. This is my first road bike, EVER... I think this bike was the most comfortable that I tried throughout my testing process, for the money of course. I'm 5'9" and decided to go with the 53 size instead of the 56; I just felt like I was reaching too much. I did pay a little more than I wanted, but I would rather support my LBS than some random www site (did find one for $517). I would recommend the LBS to build the bike for you, and typically they give you a free tune-up. The single speed is a great way to get out, clear your mind and just peddle for a while.

Favorite Ride:   Im still a MTBR at heart, 2011 TREK Cobia is what I spend most of my time on...

Purchased At:   OZONE, Austin, TX

Similar Products Used:   None, I'm a virgin...

Bike Setup:   Stock, but added a black Brooks B-17 saddle, old egg beaters, and a rack on the back.

Submitted by Russell Allen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2010

Strengths:    Fun Fun Fun Fun and did I mention Fun. Great value

Weaknesses:    Some of the components , unsealed BB, freewheel and hubs are a little "cheapskate" but for £350 i really dont care in the slightest. I think it might have been a little dear at the full £550 $850 RRP

Bottom Line:
This bike is a 2010 model and is just amazing, I bought it as a commuter / winter trainer but I just love riding it. Super comfortable, fast enough, gearing at 42/16 is perfect for essex (apart from the hill between boreham and hatfield peverel which will makes me grunt a bit)The 700/28 tyres are smooth on the very mediocre road surfaces on the local lanes. The Bianchi is getting left in the garage quite a lot....nuff said. Low maintenance too which for a commuter is essential.

Favorite Ride:   30 mile loop along local lanes

Purchased At:   ebay yes £350 brand

Similar Products Used:   My first single speed, I also ride a Bianchi Via Nirone (ultegra)2010 and a Cannondale F900SL hardtail MTB from 2001

Submitted by mikeyhowells a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2009

Strengths:    steel frame, decent finishing kit, smooth ride

Weaknesses:    didn't like the saddle. some back wheel slippage.

Bottom Line:
wanted a fixie with a steel frame. came down to the il pompino or this. il pompino was out of stock. but i've fallen on my feet - what a great bike this is - it's fairly quick, topping out at about 24mph, but it's not really about the speed - the bloody thing accelerates like a hovercraft. great fun to ride, ace on the corners, eats up the miles, comfortable and looks cool. not bad for under five hundred quid!

Favorite Ride:   kona paddy wagon, condor italia

Purchased At:   Cycle2Work Scheme (o

Similar Products Used:   none. not ever. nosiree.

Bike Setup:   spd pedals, surly tugnut, bullhorn bars and carbon fibre levers that i found on ebay, spesh toupe gel saddle.

Submitted by rmdensmore a Commuter

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2009

Strengths:    Stem

Weaknesses:    Everything else

Bottom Line:
Mm, pretty poor ladies and gentlemen. I worked at a shop that sold Konas in Washington state. I am impressed with their lines, overall, and the Paddy Wagon looked to be a good deal. I live in London now and commute every day. I've replaced the entire drive train including BB (which isn't sealed) due to rust and corrosion. I had to replace wheel bolts, bottle cage bolts, head bolts due to rust. The rear hub is now going - due to rust of all things. I've spotted rust inside the frame during servicing. I clean and lube regularly but it's not enough. I will have spent alot of extra cash keeping this POS on the road but I take comfort in the fact that no one will steal it.

Um, the stem is pretty okay, I guess. Hasn't sheared or anything.

Find another bike.

Favorite Ride:   Kona Zing Supreme

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi Pista

Bike Setup:   FSA cranks, 52 tooth Ultegra in front, 18 tooth BMX freewheel, heavy single speed chain, FSA flat bars (sawed off), Avid levers, Kona jacksh**t pedals, carbon seat post.

Submitted by Mike Mcbike a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2008

Strengths:    sealed hubs
nice frame
cool paint job / color scheme
sexy lugged straight fork
quick steering
water bosses and fender braze-ons
cable guides

Weaknesses:    31.8 clamp on the bars (not alot of track bars are in this size)
bottom bracket not sealed
paint chips very easily
non-machined braking surface on rims (they fixed this for 2008)
stock pedals are nylon

Bottom Line:
I have had 2 other fixies in the past, a bianchi conversion, and a soma rush. I wanted to get back on a fixed gear. The kona was the most comfortable ride of all the bikes i tested. The frame is really comfortable going over bumps and potholes and it is easy to ride no handed. The bike also responds well to out of the saddle sprinting/climbing. The stock gearing is just right for city riding/commuting. Its short enough that you can still jump away from stops, but it's tall enough that you don't spin out unless your going downhill. All the trimmings work really nicely, and there isn't much I would change about it. The stock bars are awesome because they have a great smooth transition into the brake hoods. I originally planned on swapping them out for some bull horns, but I really like the stock set up. I changed out the stem to a 70mm 3t stem

Overall it is a great value of a bike. You get a great frame, good wheels, a good wtb rocket seat, and all the trimmings.

Favorite Ride:   buffalo bayou