LeMond Bicycles Fillmore Track Bike

• Saddle: Bontrager Race Lux
  • Seatpost: Bontrager Sport

Submitted by thirdwig a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2010

Strengths:    Very smooth ride. The bike with the 25mm tires, and the steel frame make for a bike that feel planted and smooth.

Weaknesses:    The smoothness comes at the expense of stiffness and agility. The bike does not work well as a track bike because of this. Also, the base components are marginal at best. Also, whose bright idea was it to paint over the rear dropouts of fixed gear bike?

Bottom Line:
This bike was great first Fixed gear. The bike handles well, and does well to teach you how to ride a fixed gear bike without being to different from your current road bike. The geometry was very similar to most of Lemond's other road bikes, so the bike reacted to movements well. As a track bike, this became evident, as the bike would not do well taking some of the banks, and holding its line.

As a commuter the bike worked well, with fender points. However, with the painted steel frame, rust developed where the paint wore out, most notably at the dropouts.

Components were ok, but all have been replaced on my bike. The Wheels were the first to go. The crank also is basic, and limited what I could do with the bike.

Gearing was sold as 44/18 with a flipflop hub. After a little playing with it settled on a 44/14 and removed the freewheel. I suggest this otherwise the bike is too much like your road bike.

Favorite Ride:   Northwest of Phoenix

Purchased At:   Landis Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Trek T1

Bike Setup:   Currently Bontrager Track Wheels, Deda bar and stem, Thompson seatpost, Look pedals.

Submitted by maxfixed a Commuter

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2009

Strengths:    steal fork to heavy and stock parts arent worth using

Weaknesses:    amazing geometry, fast lite frame

Bottom Line:
i bought as a frameset after ridding my friends. I loved the geometry and it was fast but did not care for the stock parts. The bike is super fast and has been one of my favorite frames i have ever had.

Purchased At:   ebay, bought as fram

Bike Setup:   filmore frame, trek carbon fork, brooks b-17, deep v with surly hub in rear, bontrager 650 in the front, sugino messenger crank, mks track pedals, soma double straps, fsa carbon seat post

Submitted by hank2022 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth ride
Great stock setup
Beautiful finish
Something I can't put my finger on, but a lot of it

Weaknesses:    Stock tyres can be puncture prone
I had to have the rear wheel rebuilt, batch of bad spokes (or poorly-built mass-produced wheel - find one these days on a bike like this that isn't) meant that I broke 4 in 3 months. Still, £30 later I haven't had a problem in 2 years.

Bottom Line:
Very few reviews of this online so thought I would help out others who may, like I did, consider this bike. I have an 57cm 08 fillmore with the steel fork, running fixed. I tested a steamroller and a langster before choosing the fillmore and have never regretted the decision. Sure others may be as strong and others may be cheaper, but for my money the fillmore provides the smoothest ride, sharpest response and best value I have ever had from a bike. It really is that good. When you try one if you have not ridden fixed before they make you ride free, which doesn't do the bike or the experience justice.

Watch the stock tyres though, a bit prone to punctures so I replaced them with gator skins. I ride 16 miles a day, so not that far really, but in any weather the fillmore is the weapon of choice. Like the other reviewer says, it is fast. I rarely get overtaken and that is running the stock chainring and sprocket. Good gear actually, I think it is a 72 inch and it provides great acceleration, straightline speed and braking. Crank clearance is never an issue either, just lean it over and in it goes.

The steel frame really suits this bike's style, making it silent and smooth when the road quietens down. I love it.

Favorite Ride:   Home from work

Purchased At:   LBS - London

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8500, Giant SCR, Falcon Sport Eddie Mercx, restored from back in the day, Specialized Crossroads

Bike Setup:   Charge Spoon seat, Cross-stop front brake lever, Deda Pista bars, Tubus Fly rack, Race Blades, Gator Skins. All the rest is stock.

Submitted by John a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    Better components than most off the rack track bikes.
Super fast.
Unique (at least where I live).
Steel frame/carbon fork makes long rides easier on the body.
I can regularly speed past people doing group rides on their $5k road bikes.

Weaknesses:    Front wheel creaks and groans while hammering up or down steep inclines and declines.

Bottom Line:
After riding countless other fixed gear commuter/track bikes, I decided on the Fillmore for several reasons. It's lighter and has better components than a Langster or Pista (but costs slightly more). Also, unlike the aformentioned bikes, you won't see a Fillmore locked up at every street post on the block. If that sounds snotty so be it, but, seriously, who wants to look like everyone else?

As for the ride itself, it's a more complete package than other similar bikes. The geometry is agressive, but not so track-like that your back and neck start to throb after 15 miles. The carbon fork, an item that LeMond did not include on the 07 model, does a great job dampening road shocks and vibrations. Spending the entire day on this bike is not a problem.

Finally, and most importantly, this bike is FAST. That's all you should really care about right? If you are crazy enough to think you can make that left turn before those other rush hour commuters in their cars over in the opposite lane barrel through the intersection at 35MPH, this bike will support you all the way.

Favorite Ride:   NW DC at night

Purchased At:   Revolution Cycles Ge

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Sputnik, Bianchi Pista, Specialized Langster, older fixie road bikes

Bike Setup:   Switched out the stock pedals for some Shimano SPD/platform pedals. I added some clip on head/tail lights so people can see me at night.

SPAM pass- paid ad! 55cm '07 Lemond Fillmore

Just wanted to alert you guys about my Fillmore for sale in the classifieds- [url]http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=22247[/url] Last of the US made, True Temper Platinum OX Fillmores. LosRead More »

SPAM: LeMond Fillmore 61cm

ad paid: [url]http://classifieds.roadbikereview.com/showproduct.php?product=17943[/url] Price lowered to $600. [IMG]http://gallery.me.com/jakeschaefer/100015/IMG_0956/web.jpg?ver=12584837650001[/IMG]Read More »

Raleigh one-way vs lemond fillmore vs...

So I am looking at purchasing a fixed gear bike for winter commuting/every day use and upgrading my current bike into more of a racing/touring bike and am in need of some help. I have been checking out the lemond fillmore (on ebay and such) as I currently have a lemond. I would love to get a 200 ... Read More »

Price check on 06 Lemond Fillmore

I noticed a posting on my local craigslist for an 06 Lemond Fillmore. The seller has made some slight upgrades and it looks to be in good shape. I have checked around and it seems the bike retailed for close to 1100.00 and the seller is asking for 685.00. Can anybody give me some advice as to what i ... Read More »

Price Check on 06 Lemond Fillmore