Raleigh USA Rush Hour Track Bike

4.21/5 (14 Reviews)

The Raleigh Rush Hour offers the discriminating cyclist a quality, classic steel track-style bike at an affordable price. Equally at home on street or track, the Rush Hour is the perfect tool for urban adventure or for perfecting your spin. A fixed/free rear hub and user installed brakes allow riders to choose freewheeling fun or fixed gear fidelity.

• Custom Butted Chromoly Track frame w/CNC dropouts - strong and light for class racing or street riding
  • Hi flange sealed bearing track hubs - "Flip Flop" rear fixed/freewheel design
  • Truvativ Touro Track crank w/48t Alloy ring - CNC-machined for stiffness

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Edwin Diaz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2016

Strengths:    Strong, sturdy, steel frame. Upgrade able. Cheap (as in price). Construction seems nice, good welds, decent geometry. Looks like it was hand built but I'm almost certain it's wasn't. Feels nice riding through the city. Perfect for urban environments, hence the name "Rush Hour".

Weaknesses:    Heavy, even with light parts added, and stiff. Seat post's are hard to find for it, better off keeping it stock. It comes with brakes which I don't mind but I like riding fixed gear and would rather not have brakes installed. Flip-flop rear wheel, again, I don't need the extra cog, I ride fixed and it only adds weight to the bike. Stickers are horrible lol but at least you can take them off easily.

Bottom Line:
    Overall the bike is a good bike. I had a 2009 model for about 7 years until it was stolen back in 2015. The bike felt great, it got me from point A to point B no problem, but it had an Achilles heel that being it's weight. I admit I didn't really take care of it, I dropped it a couple of times, sometimes on purpose, and even though I abused it, slightly, it stayed firm and didn't bend thanks to it's steel frame. I had about $200 dollars in upgrades on it and I bought the bike used for $100 off of craigslist. Overall it was an inexpensive bike. It was a trooper, I gotta say I miss it more than I should, especially since it was stolen 3 times in the past and I got it back every time. But on the 4th time it was stolen I couldn't track the person down in time and I lost it forever, along with a GoPro. Anyway I loved that bike, mainly because around 2012 it became my daily commuter, choosing it over all the other bikes I had, and was always there for me, even after it was stolen 3 times, it seemed like it was meant to be my baby, but some a**hole had to take that away from me, oh well I hope he get's his. 4/5 stars because of it's weight but overall it's a good bike.

Favorite Ride:   city/urban

Purchased At:   craigslist

Bike Setup:   Vuelta Airline 4's; Aluminum drop bars; and other things, I can't remember the rest lol.

Submitted by Lonerider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2016

Strengths:    cheep, sturdy frame, came in black, thick track ends, generally upgrade worthy, rides nice, fits at least 28mm tires

Weaknesses:    heavy frame, straight fork looks bad@ss but rides harsh, interior seat tube diameter makes upgrading seatpost not worth it

Bottom Line:
    Got this as a frameset about a year ago, or so, when a guy working at the lbs didn't want it any more; the shop owner had brazed him a sweet lugged frame so he didn't need a mass produced bike any more! Since I got it cheeep the thing got a good value rating, but the overall rating is 4 not 5 because lets face it Raleigh skimped on the stock parts and the seat tube. Who the hell except wallymart uses seat post sizes smaller than 27.2 anymore?

That said, since I got it as a frameset i wasn't much limited by stock parts except seatpost. I built it up with generic wheels, nothing fancy but the back runs an old mavic open pro. Sugino cranks. Gearing was 42/17 but i switched to 42/18 (i live in a sorta hilly area and am not light anymore, i miss the days of running 44/16!) Had drops but went to bullhorns like my old Pista. Speaking of the pista, it is from at least '06 and weighs only about 17 lbs with what i got on it, so in comparison the raleigh is heavy, but in the saddle the rush hour doesn't feel weighty, just solid, like it has presence. It rides nice, handles well and looks cool. This is never going to be a lightweight bike, but it will always be a fun bike to ride and if someone is looking for either an entry level fixed gear, or a backup bike, or just wants a durable ride with a simple drive train for getting around town, you can't go wrong,

Not sure about current models, but mine had a nice smooth top tube, no fugly cable guides, the way a track frame should be -- though it was drilled for a back brake. Guys like me only running a front brake could use that rear mount for a fender, an auxiliary rear light, or anything else. Also worth noting: The sizing is wrong. Mine was said to be 55cm but it was about 54 ctc, which is why it fits me.
    All in all, good quality inexpensive bike, just upgrade the stock parts as you go. Except the seatpost.

Submitted by jliptak a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2009

Strengths:    Steel, single speed with a flip-flop hub (fixie or free wheel), simple and elegant, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Weak accessories, but this is easily overcome.

Bottom Line:
    This is one fun ride. There are some cheap components which are easily swapped out. I now have bull bars, Shimano pedals, Selle Italia SLR gel flow saddle, FSA seat post, and no back brake. I use this bike for commuting mainly, but also training when I want to do something different and as my get around town bike.

Similar Products Used:   None

Bike Setup:   See above

Submitted by michael battle a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2009

Strengths:    Strong bike, tires have lasted a year. I commute as well as push with the "big boys" in the club and the bike has held up well.

Weaknesses:    Plastic pedals.

Bottom Line:
    I have a completely stock Rush Hour except for pedals from a 1972 Paris Sport, and love it. I have completed several metric centuries with the local bike club and am able to keep up with most of the fastest riders, depending on wind and hills on the course. It is a great workout. The bike has treated me very well, and I would definitely recommend it to a beginning fixie rider.

Favorite Ride:   amish covered bridge

Purchased At:   martin's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   No other fixies, but have a 1972 Paris Sport (minus pedals), 1992 Giant road bike, and a 1994 Nashbar rode bike.

Bike Setup:   As above.

Submitted by prasad a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2008

Strengths:    You have the choice of using fixed wheel or free wheel.
    Can go at very high speed. Got good sets of tires

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of

Bottom Line:
    I was looking for a bike with steel frame. Their not many manufacturers who make those. This bike absorbs lot of shocks compared to Aluminum & Carbon frame. I was visiting lot of shops going through the reviews. Finally I got this at one of the shop. I love this bike.

Favorite Ride:   30 miles