Specialized Langster Track Bike

Pedals: Not included
Tires: 700 x 23c Specialized Mondo Sport

Submitted by cole a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2012

Strengths:    Amazing bike takes me as fast as i can imagine.

Weaknesses:    Nope

Bottom Line:
Bought mine today and i just feel awesome riding it. Ive showed my friend a picture and he too has fallen in love. I go fast, and it goes faster. I cannot keep the bike at a normal speed, I ramp it up and look like the coolest guy out there!

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   its all new to me!

Submitted by Larry a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2012

Strengths:    Very well build and very fast. I've biffed it a few times with no repairs other then my skin. The geometry is perfect for me. Awesome bike for the money. A blast to ride.

Weaknesses:    Really none, however if I could change anything I would like if it could accommodate a larger tire so that I could ride it with studs in the snow:)

Bottom Line:
I've been riding a 2009 base model Langster for the last 3 years. First of all the bike is very compact and because of this at 5'9" I opted for a size 54. It should be too large but with the upgraded bull horn handle bars and Brooks B17 saddle it hits me perfect when up on the peddles. I ride fixed with a 14 tooth cog. I figure I alway have the 16 tooth ss cog to limp home on. Im on my second set of tires and have put on 7 century rides. This thing absolutely flies. I have a full carbon Allegra ride and I hate to say it is collecting dust. I just can't get off the fixed gear. I enjoy this ride so well I just picked up a 2009 Tokyo carry over to duplicate the setup and keep the fun going.

Favorite Ride:   This is it!

Purchased At:   Bike Source, Columbu

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Rig 29er, Fetish Cycles 26" SS

Bike Setup:   14 tooth fixed cog, Profile Design T2 wing bars, Crank Brothers egg beaters, Brooks B17 saddle, single front break.

Submitted by paddy a Commuter

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2010

Strengths:    All I can say is it is 30 degrees in Northern Ky. and snowing but I can not stay off of it!

Bottom Line:
Wow!

Favorite Ride:   langster

Purchased At:   montgomery cyclery

Submitted by Jeff a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2010

Strengths:    Carbon front forks are nice. Very light (see below). Simple and well built. I like never having to take time out to adjust something. The Las Vegas edition gets a lot of looks and good conversation starter. Like a rocket... faster you go, the faster it wants to go.

Weaknesses:    Very light... my biggest problem. When you are on anything other than perfectly flat pavement, you feel everything.

Bottom Line:
All around great article of equipment. Good construction, nothing is absolute garbage from the factory. Solid and not as fragile as I initially worried. Great for building muscle. Best part is I've never had to adjust or fiddle with anything on the bike. Ride, put up, ride, repeat. No maintenance, just a solid performer. Only bike I've ever owned that I didn't immediately start changing things out.

Favorite Ride:   Langster

Purchased At:   Bicycles Inc

Similar Products Used:   Redline SS, Surly SS

Bike Setup:   Las Vegas edition. Completely stock, and I still love it.

Submitted by AlphaFire X5 a Commuter

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2009

Strengths:    Value - Some very nice components at a great price, especially if you can find a leftover from the previous year. Much better than the older Langsters.

Frame - It's light and stiff, if a bit relaxed compared to "track" geometry. It works though. Out of the saddle sprints, even with higher gearing, do not produce any noticeable flex.

Wheels - Tough as nails.

Weaknesses:    Brakes - The standard Tektro calipers are mediocre, at best. They work well enough, but an upgrade to higher end Shimano stuff will eventually be made.

Wheels - Heavy! 5+ lbs for the set.

Gearing - I found the stock 42x16 gearing to be far too short, but a replacement 46t Messenger chainring was fairly cheap and I'm now much happier.

Bottom Line:
Year: 2009
Brand: Specialized
Model: Langster
Color: Polished Silver

Frame and parts: Light and stiff aluminum frame, quite comfortable to ride. Uses the same basic geometry as the Allez, but uses horizontal dropouts and has no braze ons. Makes a fine commuter, but works well on long rides too. From the factory, this bike comes surprisingly well equipped. Carbon fork, Specialized Alias saddle, Sugino RD cranks with a Zen Messenger chainring, even a carbon wrapped seat post. Notably better equipped than some of the older models. Fresh from the factory, a 56cm weighed in at ~19.5 lbs. Much of this can be attributed to the wheels, Alex Race32s, which, without tires, tubes, or skewers, weigh in at over 5 lbs. The frame is equipped with mounting points for a rear rack or fender, and two bottle cages. The front fork is not equipped for a bolt on fender, unless specially equipped (Seattle version).

Overall Impression: This bike is FUN. It's solidly built, simple to ride and maintain, and makes short work of almost anything you can throw at it. Has worked for commuting, longer rides, and will supposedly do quite nicely at the track, even with the more road-oriented geometry. The drop bars that come with the bike are standard ergonomic road bars, but track bars can be had on some of the city models. I swapped mine for Profile Design T2 Wing base bars and levers, and am quite pleased with the change. I've had zero problems with flats with the stock Specialized Mondo tires, but I keep them at 120psi, as their recommended pressure range is 115-125psi. All in all, a great bike to just get on and ride and have fun!

Bike Setup:   - Profile Design T2 Wing base bars
- Profile Design Quick Stop 2 bar end brake levers
- 46x16 gearing
- Look clipless when needed

Dent in Frame of Specialized Langster 2010

I just bought this Specialized Langster 2010 from someone in London and I've recently just noticed 2 dents in the frame. Could anyone give me a professional opinion on whether it is safe to ride this bike and whether it will last me at least for a year? [ATTACH=CONFIG]280112[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFI ... Read More »

Specialized Langster

Hi, I have never owned a fixed gear or road bike. I have ridden mountain bikes in Colorado all my life. I recently moved to South Carolina and I need to get back out on two wheels and into shape. I was thinking a fixed gear would be fun to ride and get into. There are no hills here so why would ... Read More »

Langster to Tarmac

I ride a 56cm Langster in the city and am looking for a Tarmac to start getting more serious about riding with. Tested out a 56cm 2013 Tarmac today and it felt like it was longer. Does that make sense? I'm five foot, nine and a half inches tall. The shop owner said I was right in between 54cm and 56 ... Read More »

Langster 2012 weight?

I want to know what the 2012 Langster weighs. Preferably without brakes/levers/pedals. Any idea? I can't find this info anywhere... I'm guessing some 9kg(19.84lb) with everything, 8.0kg without brakes.Read More »

Globe Roll 1 or Langster

I'm looking for an entry-level single speed and I've narrowed it down to these two...I'm talking to two different sellers on craigslist and well I'm I need to decide which to get....I have no knowledge on these bikes so if people can tell me the pros and cons and how these bieks are different..that ... Read More »