Surly Steamroller Track Bike

4.5/5 (2 Reviews)

The Steamroller got a fresh paintjob, black parts, and black graphics this year. We think it’s pretty snazzy. Paint and decals don’t make a bike ride well, though, and the reason this bike continues to be popular is because it is a well-built, durable bike that goes fast and rides smooth. Designed as a singlespeed street bike, it’s as fine an urban trawler as you will find. We offer it as a fixed gear because that’s what it was designed to do (well before fixies became popular, we might add). We include a front brake because having a brake is a good idea. If you want to add a rear brake you can, just be warned there are no rear housing stops.

Submitted by brian a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    steel frame
surly hubs
stickers come off easily
comes in black

Weaknesses:    the saddle- not the most comfortable.

Bottom Line:
I got the steamroller for commuting and to make me a better mountain biker.

With this bike women will want you and men will want to be you. Coupled with a wolf shirt it would be an unstoppable force.

Before ordering some folks told me that it was heavy. It is not the lightest bike out there but it is not that heavy.I could probably loose a few pounds before I start looking to lighten my bike.

This was my first fixie and since getting on it I havent looked back, except when I try to back pedal on the mountain bike to slow down.
It has certainly caused me to coast much, much less than I used to on my mountain bike.

I use it to commute to work 2-3x a week. My commute is from 7000 feet to 8000 feet and about 22 miles each way. I also have been riding it up and down some of the local passes (monarch and poncha so far, cottonwood soon?) and it has done great, I on the other hand apparently have room for some improvement.

If you only have 700 dollar in your wallet- get this bike, you wont be sorry for long.

Similar Products Used:   1980's panasonic team america...okay i guess that isnt that similar.

Bike Setup:   Fixed
front brake (descending 4000 feet it's nice to have a brake)
49 x 18
I added some chain tuggs
time pedals

Submitted by chris a Commuter

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2009

Strengths:    fits cx tires, even without changing the front caliper.

Weaknesses:    stickers all over the damn thing.

Bottom Line:
I got this bike for commuting, really liked the fact that it could fit CX tires for winter riding. I've used it as a single speed in a CX race too. It's an overall nice ride.

Bike Setup:   Bulldog CX tires
Bontrager carbon seat post
Selle Italia flite gel saddle
Dura-ace 17t cog
Surly 38t chainring

Check out hottest cycling products from these brands!