BMC Time Machine TT02 Triathlon Bike

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Time Machine TT02 gets its genes from the TT01, a time-trial bike that was developed especially for professional racing. The radical aerodynamic frame captivates through its heart of carbon. Important performance elements have been borrowed from the TT01 such as the Sliding Airfoils System used for the seat tube and seat stays.

Submitted by JP a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2011

Strengths:    Frame Stiffness and Aerodynamics, Lightweight, Good Value

Weaknesses:    Aluminum is harsher, but carbon dampens a little to make up for it.

Bottom Line:
No complaints with bike. Was able to get a good fit on the frame, so sizing is normal and good. It's a stiff frame that'll squeeze every watt out that you put in. I have taken this on long rides (3-4 hours) about 1-2 times a week in preparation for a TT. The aluminum can be a little harsh, but if you're looking for stiffness this is the bike for you. The frame is pretty aero and lightweight for the money, perhaps a good balance in this sense of performance vs. budget. Finding a computer that fit between my TT bars was my only fitting challenge thanks to professionally trained fitters at Spin Bike Shop.

Purchased At:   www.spinbikeshop.com

Similar Products Used:   BMC pro machine

Bike Setup:   SRAM Force 10 spd, Vision, Powertap

Submitted by muz a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    Looks, weight v stiffness.

Weaknesses:    Bottle cage position, wide angular top tube, seat post slippage.

Bottom Line:
BMC TT02. Looks good to me. Very surprised by how comfortable this frame is given the aero seat tube and post dimensions. Feels light and nice and stiff in bottom bracket area. Seat post did slip down despite tightening without torque wrench, probably beyond recommended 5nm top - 9nm bottom bolts(settings given in other reviews). Put assembly paste on it haven't checked if this cured it yet. I have Quest integrated bars which I can't adjust for height other than at the fork stack and don't feel I get as low and aero as some would like. Other reviewers comment that bottle cage bolts are too low and top tube is wide. I concur. I had to modify a specialized aero bottle cage so bottle would fit in frame. I have also bashed inside of knee on the wide angular top tube. Internal cable routing takes a bit off fiddling around. I got this on ebay at a good price. It definitely appears faster for same effort to my old steel 853 frame. Would I be happy to pay full retail price ? No but I am delighted to have it and expect PBs this year.

Bike Setup:   Renn Disk, Cosmic Carbonne front, Shimano 9 speed, Quest Carbon integrated bars, Campag Centaur chainset.

Submitted by Coach D a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2007

Strengths:    Great climbing bike. Comfortable on long rides. Very stable on descents. Frame looks really cool! Body position is upright, and over the cranks - this is great for running after the bike. I took the bike on the first ride of 2 hours, and then did a 23 mile marathon training run the next day; I felt no ill effects from a new bike and a different set-up.

Weaknesses:    Compact cranks will not work, as front derailleur bracket is too high. A minor thing, but something to keep in mind. Sterring is a bit sluggish, but then again, lots of quick steering inputs are typically not part of any tri's I race.

Bottom Line:
Three months on this new bike, and I love it. Smooth and comfortable, fast, and climbs well.

Purchased At:   Cycling Spoken Here,