Kuota Kalibur Triathlon Bike

4.9/5 (10 Reviews)

• Monocoque TT Triathlon frame construction
  • KR1 Monocoque Fork 1-1/4"
  • Orbit CF Inox Bearings 1-1/4" to 1-1/8"
  • Monocoque Aero Seatpost
  • High module carbon fibres

Submitted by C R a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2010

Strengths:    Looks, responsive-responsive and given it's carbon you can ride it all day.
The bike corners well and handles well at high speeds. Power transfer is awesome, not that I have ridden everything out there - but there seems to be very little give in through the frame (i.e. flex) even when jumping on it.
Adjustable seatpost (choose / adjust your setting between 76 and 78 degress, and angle your saddle which allows for a strong nose ride position)

Weaknesses:    Saddle - I put a profile design Tristryke on mine which works fantastic in a nose riding position)

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike after doing some racing knowing that I needed to go to a Tri geometry as a Road bike with Aero's wasn't going to cut it. I loved this bike from first site, luckily if fit (barely) - but I am confident as it was setup with a fully bike fit licensed Physio, and love it more the more I ride it!
After my first race on it - I will be riding this bike for a very long time (no flats next race please....)

Favorite Ride:   Gatineau Loop

Purchased At:   Private

Bike Setup:   Cosmic Elite
Vision Tech Carbon base and TT clip-ons
Vision Tech brakes

Submitted by Haigmeister a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2009

Strengths:    The Kalibur offers excellent bottom bracket stiffness. There is just hardly any flex at all. The acceleration, out of the saddle climbing and handling, are all fantastic. You just have to ride one to feel what I'm saying. Don't downplay the handling. On this bike it particularly stands out. It tracks perfectly at high speeds and is very stable and smooth. The fit and finish of the bike is also excellent. Paint, graphics, joins are all without blemish. It is a beautiful ride all the way around.

Weaknesses:    Having only had the bike for four weeks prior to the race I really didn't have time to dial everything in. It had issues downshifting at times. To be fair I did upgrade the entire drivetrain to Dura Ace 7900 so it really isn't fair to say something is wrong with the setup its just timing I guess. Oh, I will be changing saddles. The factory model just wore me out last weekend. I think I'll look at the Adamo line.

Bottom Line:
NOTE: This review is for a 2009 Kuota Kalibur. Let me start by saying I purchased this bike at half off standard retail at TrySports in Raleigh, NC through a relationship they had with the group who was sponsoring me for 2009. I looked at all the usual suspects while shopping for my first truly Tri Specific bike and ended up going with the Kalibur for two main reasons: stiffness and stability. The bike tranfers power effortlessly and I don't feel anything is being wasted. I use 180 crankarms and once they spin up to speed the power generated is incredible. Tracking-wise the bike handles beautifully. It goes where you want it to without anything funny going on. Down in aero or up off the saddle it delivers great speed and true tracking. The Nude/Red/White paint scheme is awesome! So happy I didn't get the all Nude model. I just completed the Beach2Battleship 1/2 Ironman and through mile 35 I was over 3.6mph faster than last year at the same point (if not for being so overzealous and underhydrated - bonking on a bike? crazy! - I would have destroyed my previous years time). It was so much fun clicking off rider after rider that first hour and a half. If you are in Raleigh, NC don't hesitate to call Jon Wallace at TrySports for a test ride. His team is really knows the Kuota line and they all race. (I do NOT work for TrySports) What a great bike!

Favorite Ride:   Duke 1/2 IronMan course

Purchased At:   TrySports Raleigh, N

Similar Products Used:   Cervelo, Specialized, Kestrel and Fuji (though that Matt Reed model is the bomb!)

Bike Setup:   XL Frame
Cobra Carbon Wing and Carbon T2 Bars
Xlab rear hydration system

Submitted by The Fury a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2009

Strengths:    Light
Price
Geometry (somewhat relaxed)
Plush ride (even by road bike standards)
Looks mean (nude carbon)
Aero seat post looks cool
Climbs well

Weaknesses:    Frame flex (needs to be stiffer)
Geometry (somewhat relaxed...if you prefer agressive, you may need a different bike).

Bottom Line:
I have the 2009 K-Factor SL. For the money, you can not beat this bike. The Kueen and Kalibur are (a little) lighter and stiffer, but a lot more expensive. This is great back if you lack hamstring flexibility (like a lot of cyclists according to my chiropractor). It's a fairly relaxed geometry due to a longish head tube, which is great when transitioning to the run or racing anything longer than Olympic distance. My LBS did a fairly intensive fitting for me, so I had zero neck/shoulder pain that you usually experience with a new bike. (I highly recommend getting professionaly fitted...it's worth any extra cost). For a tri bike, it climbs very well (again the relatively relaxed geometry has a lot to do with this). I went up some 5% grades and didn't leave my aero bars. The only weakness is frame flex, which may be a sacrifice for light weight/good price. I notice frame flex most on the trainer...didn't notice it while actually riding. The Kueen and Kalibur are probably stiffer due to a higher grade carbon. My overall rating is 4.75...would be a 5 if the frame was stiffer.
If you live near Kansas City, go to City Cycles...they upgraded components w/o bustin' my bank account. I am NOT affiliated with City Cycles, but as someone that moves a lot I always appreciate getting the low down on good bike shops.

Favorite Ride:   Any smooth road

Purchased At:   Cycle City (Kansas C

Similar Products Used:   Colnago Cronos (agressive geometry)
Trek 5200 Road Bike (OCLV, stiff carbon)

Bike Setup:   "Medium" Size Frame
Mavic Krsyrium Elites
Selle San Marco Triron seat

Submitted by gearman1963 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    Stiff and responsive.

Weaknesses:    There was some interference within the cable housing that is in the downtube that prevented smooth shifting to the rear derailler so it had to be removed.

Bottom Line:
This frame responds when you want it too.It's stiff and transfers power when you want it. When you get this bike moving, you fly. The bike looks so hot that the event organizer actually refered to the bike as evil.

Favorite Ride:   Timberman Triathlon, New Hampshire & Pleasant Valley Time Trial Series

Purchased At:   Cycling Concepts, Ro

Bike Setup:   I'm running SRAM Red with ZIPP 606 wheels. Speedplay X1 Titanium pedals.

Submitted by Brian Bushick a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    Excellent stiffness and geometry. Delivers a smooth, comfortable ride over long distances. An excellent bike of choice for triathletes. Leaves legs fresh after every ride!

Weaknesses:    None of which I've experienced thus far. A

Bottom Line:
First, my bike is an '08 but that wasn't an option on the review choices. I am still relatively new to triathloning (1 year) but love the sport and serious about training. I've tested many tri-bikes prior to purchasing my Kalibur.
I literally drove the bike shops crazy but I wanted to be 100% certain I've made the right choice---and I'm confident I have!
Immediately upon test riding the '08 Kalibur, there was no doubt this would be the bike of choice. It is stiff but at the same time very smooth. I've listened to all the hype leading up to my purchase in how tri-bikes sacrifice comfort on long rides. Truthfully, my Kuota is much more comfortable on long rides than my road bike--hands down!
This bike is what I consider to be a confidence-builder. The precision and stiffness of this bike allow me to feel way more confident and in control while descending at higher speeds.
I could not ask for anything more in a bike, it truthfully delivers what it promises...not to mention it is HOT looking!

Favorite Ride:   Rolling Hills

Purchased At:   Bonzai Sports

Similar Products Used:   Tested similarily to Orbea and Cervelo P3 (in my opinion).

Bike Setup:   I dressed this bike out in full durace components, Vision handle bars & aero bars, Look Keo carbon pedals, Selle Italia Signo saddle, carbon hydro tail & cages, & fulcrum 5 racing wheels (wheels to be upgraded for racing).

Look 496 vs. Cervelo p3c / Cervelo p2c vs. Kuota Kalibur

Just a poll to see which frame people perfer for time trialing... Category 1 - High price... Look 496 vs. Cervelo p3c Category 2 - Reasonable... Cervelo p2c vs. Kuota Kalibur Thanks, JrockneRead More »

Advice on Kuota Kalibur & Argon 18 mercury

I am looking to buy one of these two bikes for mainly triathlons and some TT's. I can get the Argon at a better price from my lbs but i also like the kuota. They almost look identical and both have good reviews although not too many written for the Argon. Kalibur is all carbon and the Argon carbon r ... Read More »

High(d) Kalibur

[IMG]http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/babes/eurobike-heidi.jpg[/IMG]Read More »

Kuota Kans Killowatt for Kalibur

... some of you may remember that Kuota was marketing a TT/Tri rig known as the Killowatt, that bore a striking resemblence to Argon 18's Mercury frame (unique bonding of carbon rear to alloy front triangle). Kuota now seems to have dumped the Mercury clone for something a bit more unique. [IM ... Read More »