Lynskey Performance Designs T230 Triathlon Bike

The T230 is a triathlon specific frame designed for those athletes wanting a complete performance package for all events ranging from sprints to ironman distances. Based on the F.I.S.T. geometry pioneered by Dan Empfield, the T230 puts the rider in a position that allows both optimum power output while being in an aggressive aero position. The T230 also offers a wheelbase that provides great stability and superb balance.

Built using double-butted aero 3al-2.5v titanium tubing, the T230 provides a balance of power transfer, aero-dynamics, durability and comfort that simply put no other material can match. The T230 is available as a frame only, or as a frameset that includes an aero carbon fork.

Submitted by Rich Krajewski

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2013

Strengths:    Super stiff, superior ability to absorb road shock, great handling and noticeably more comfortable than my Guru Crono.
No nonsense build and finish, if it is damaged, you will know it! Topnotch Craftsmanship.

Weaknesses:    The engineer's tri-bike.... Exposed welds and raw metal finish are not likely to attract those making fashion statements.

Bottom Line:
I bought the Lynskey T230 to replace a failed GURU Crono(bottom bracket shell became loose/beware of used GURU Cronos). As I was not the original owner, GURU would not repair. They wanted $2000.00 to repair the frame and suggested buying a 701 or 901. Policy is policy I suppose. That said, it was time to try another manufacturer and more so, another material. I have been on several long rides already and I am thoroughly impressed with the performance of the T230. It is stiffer and more comfortable than my Crono.
At $1895.00(list price), less fork and seat post, it is a bargain compared to high end carbon frames. It is made in the USA! Think about it this way, it costs the frame builder(ultimately you) plenty to paint a bike. Steel, aluminum and carbon all require paint to protect the frame material. With Ti, you eliminate the cost and weight of an applied finish.

Submitted by Seth Botwick a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2011

Strengths:    Comfort, Climbing, descending, durability, CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
When you read or hear people speak about Lynskey, you normally hear about things like quality and passion. I can say that after 12 years of competitive triathlon, this is the finest bike I've owned. Sure, you can join the rank and file with a carbon fiber "ride and trash" but Ti is truly for life. This bike climbed well, descends with confidence, and most importantly is comfortable during hours and hours of saddle time. Treat yourself!

Favorite Ride:   Blood Sweat and Gears

Purchased At:   Lynskey

Similar Products Used:   Guru, Litespeed, Lemond

Bike Setup:   DA, HED, Continental 4000s, Mavic

Submitted by Rob Zielinski a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2010

Strengths:    Ride, handling at high speed in aero, eats up any road imperfections, acceleration, Empfield's FIST geometry.

Weaknesses:    None - what an incredible bike!

Bottom Line:
WOW WOW WOW!!

I was in process of upgrading my Cervelo Dual to a P2C, and my P2C frame arrived in pieces. This was a bummer since I had already sold my Dual quickly on craigslist. Cervelo was not great about fixing my issue, but that's another story.

I was fortunate enough to see the Lynskey Loft - which had a 'media bike' T230 for sale. Net: I got a T230 with SRAM Force/Red group for a big discount. I took a bit of a chance on this bike - the geometry is very similar to the Cervelo bikes, and I had heard/read great things about Lynskey and Ti frames in general.

Everything I read was true.

The Lynskey team were very responsive, and did an amazing job packing this bike (a hot topic for me given my recent experience) - it was so well packed, padded and stabilized - I was amazed. This is a frame that would have survived the UPS truck being vaporized, and here they had packed it like fine china. Amazing attention to detail.

Frame is beautiful and the welds look incredible. I am used to aluminum frames, but still - it's clear the Lynskey team builds a fine product.

It took me about 90 seconds to realize that this bike and I were a perfect match. Amazing acceleration, outstanding handling, very steady at high speeds too - I can take high speed curves and all kinds of bumps while in the aero position, and much faster than with the Dual -- I average over 2MPH faster on this bike, on the same course.

Slowtwitch and Blackwell articles say that aerodynamic advantage is most important, in the following order: (1) Rider position (2) Aero Helmet (3) Wheelset (4) Frame.

For me, the Lynskey T230 makes a HUGE, fundamental difference in the amount of time and speed at which I can stay aero. It also accelerates better than my Dual did. I can't believe what a great bike this is.

I was concerned that it might not be as fast as a Cervelo because (1) no internal cable routing (2) less aero tubing / "windtunnel pedigree" -- well all I can say is, I am significantly (>5%) faster on this bicycle than I was on my Cervelo. This bike allows me to ride much more aggressively and confidently in aero than the other bike did. And I am an aggressive and faster-than-average rider. It is rock steady at high speeds, accelerates and holds speed very well, and dares me to go faster on curves and over bumps. I feel like I can ride forever and am more than ready to hit it hard on the run.

I was a die-hard Cervelo rider until my issue, and I am so glad now that the P2C didn't work out, because I have found the ride of a lifetime, at the same price as that P2C.

Better ride, better price, great workmanship, bulletproof frame = no-brainer!

Wow, wow, and again, wow! Thanks Lynskey!

Favorite Ride:   Dam Loop in ATX or Natchez Trace