Motobecane Nemesis Triathlon Bike

• Ritchey PRO Stem and PRO Seatpost
  • Shimano Ultegra 6600 20speed Rear Derailleur

Submitted by blueoakforest a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2009

Strengths:    Good looking, smooth ride, solid breaking, with state of the art gears, tires.

Weaknesses:    Aerobars are a bit large. Bar end shifters difficult to install, you should buy FF seat post.

Bottom Line:
The bike is fairly well made and rides well, BUT if you are not prepared for putting together a complex bike without the support of basic instructions, especially installing the shifters and aerobars, you'll become very frustrated and may end up purchasing extra cables. The shifters are totally without clear instructions.

Favorite Ride:   PCH Santa Monica-Malibu

Purchased At:   bikesdirect

Bike Setup:   Instructions for putting it together are very poor.

Submitted by Mike Day a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2009

Strengths:    The price of the bike beats anything- for all the high end components I would easily pay double anywhere else.

Weaknesses:    The one major flaw with the bike is the aerobars. They are lame in so many ways. Mine broke after one season- they just snapped in half & I replaced them with a better set that allows you to grip the handlebars- the stock bars are in a fixed position and are horrible.

Bottom Line:
The Nemesis was an excellent deal. For the components that come with it, nothing will beat the overall price. It has held up over two years and is a fast bike. It also looks cool in black.

Favorite Ride:   Salt Lake Century

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   I rode a FELT tri bike for about 4 years until a van ran me and the FELT over- totalling both the bike and the rider.

Submitted by yatesdr a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Strengths:    Great price for excellent components and a good frame. I wound up swapping all the components out to a different frame (Leader) and still came out ahead in terms of price / performance.

Weaknesses:    Be careful sizing if you want a comfortable aero position (size down 2 sizes from road bike). The bike is definitely "long and low", so if you have a longish inseam and shorter torso make sure to size according to the top tube length. The aerobars that come with it are adequate, but not stellar. Plan on replacing them eventually if you're serious.

Bottom Line:
Good price for the components, and overall a great buy. One caution: be very careful with regards to sizing. The geometry is more similar to a road bike than a "real" tri bike, with the top tubes approximately matching the seat tube lengths. It can be hard to get a good aero position on this type of geometry if you have a short torso relative to your inseam, so size down 2 sizes (maybe more depending on your inseam / torso lengths), and figure the sizing based off the top tube length you need for a comfortable aero position. If you don't you'll be stretched way out to reach the aerobars and it will not be comfortable for long rides on the bars. I ride a 62cm road bike (6'2 / 35" inseam) and got the 61cm nemesis, but the top tube was waaay too long (~60mm too long). I wound up swapping the components onto a 57cm Leader frame with a 60mm shorter top tube and my body geometry is much better now. Had I understood what I was doing when I was ordering the nemesis, I would have ordered by the top tube length which for me would be the 56cm frame size, then jack up the seat to get the leg length and saddle position right. For Tri bikes aero position comfort is the most important, so focus on that and you'll be OK.

Favorite Ride:   Any ride

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect

Similar Products Used:   Trek 1200, MB Sprint, Leader

Submitted by leeleach a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2009

Strengths:    Reliable and kicks the pants off of those full carbon frames other newbies are riding.

Weaknesses:    From a beginner's standpoint...none.

Bottom Line:
Great bike for beginners. Solid frame, good components, reliable, and able to race all conditions. On this bike I've done Ironman Japan twice, 2 half iron distance, 1 Oly, and numerous sprints. I would say the resume speaks for itself when it comes to this bike. I'm upgrading to a full carbon frame for next season but only because I'm ready for a faster bike. Don't go out and buy a full carbon top end bike if you're a beginner. It's a waste of money and you're no where near able to reap the benefits of a bike like that. Learn on the Nemisis and earn your stripes first. You'll be happy you did.

Favorite Ride:   windmills miura peninsula

Purchased At:   bikesdirect.com

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   stock BD package. Added Williams 58 carbon clinchers for IM JP.

Submitted by bob1jones1 a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 24, 2008

Strengths:    Fast, reliable, great components

Weaknesses:    The Richey Aerobars are ok as a starter set, but more experienced riders will probably want to change them out eventually.

Also..I'm a pretty mechanically inclined guy, but there was no way I was going to attempt the build. Take it to a good LBS.

Bottom Line:
I am in my second Triathlon season using the Moto Nemesis. I have to say that I absolutely love the bike and am a huge fan. I have no trouble keeping up with any full carbon bike out there and for some reason on a slight down-hill run I'm able to go faster than most bikes.

I recently replaced the whole Richey base bar / aero bar setup with a CBX Pro from Profile Design. I could never quite get the Richey set to adjust properly to me and feel entirely comfortable.

I have not been able to find a better value out there for the money. It always surprises me when I'm in the transition area how few of these I see. The Nemesis is a great bike.

Favorite Ride:   Moto Nemesis