Valdora Cycles PHX-2 Black Pearl Triathlon Bike

The PHX-2 is Valdora's latest creation. The low key matte black and red paint might just allow it's rider to slip past you leaving you wondering "..what the heck was that?.." It looks mean and when it shows up in the transition area it means business. The sleek full carbon aero frame is equipped with bolt on replaceable front AND rear derailleur hangers. Valdora didn't pull any punches with this triathlon machine. The standard bike build is SRAM Red however, Valdora can offer the PHX-2 with any component make/model/level.

Details:
+ High/UltraHigh modulus 3k carbon construction utilizing Valdora's proprietary Optimum Composite Resonant Ratio Technology (OCRR)

+ Triathlon specific semi compact geometry
+ 72º – 80º adjustable seat tube angle
+ Cable stopper port system saves more than 200 g of weight and improves shifting by running bare cable throughout frame while greatly reducing drag

+ Aero seat tube wheel interface with Slip Stream Drag Reduction Technology (SSDR)
+ Sculpted muscular constant pressure seat stay design
+ Internal cable routing, adjustable wheel base, low and balanced center of gravity
+ Replaceable rear and front derailleur hanger
+ Max built bottom bracket shell - downtube intersection producing extreme power transfer, vibration dampening, and improved agility

+ Climb and descend with confidence & ease
+ 68 mm BSA bottom bracket shell, 1-1/8” headset (Cane Creek style 36/45)

Submitted by J. Pearce a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2011

Strengths:    Stiffness, power-transfer, climbing ability, classic aesthetic, company service

Weaknesses:    None!

Bottom Line:
After hearing accolades from several friends who own this bike I decided to purchase one myself. I signed up for Ironman Canada in 2011 so I wanted a time trial bike with triathlon specific geometry that could handle hills and do well on the flat as well. Lets me honest, this bike also has an incredible aesthetic appeal! Really cool matte finish and carbon weave exposure, plus the potential for custom color logos. It is classic, but not over the top with style. I was immediately impressed with the stiffness, handling and the incredible value for money in this frame. I felt it had better power-transfer and climbing ability than my previous top of the line “big name” brand TT frame and was 1/2 the cost with a comparable component group. I did some research on the company and was REALLY impressed, this is an absolutely top-notch brand with American roots and is family owned. I have been truly amazed by their excellent customer service and their support of athletes who ride their bikes. Valdora is all class! Don’t hesitate to purchase this bike, you will be so, so pleased!!

I qualified for Kona in my first Ironman on this bike, I really couldn't be happier with it!

Favorite Ride:   Guthrie TT

Purchased At:   Tryathletics, Columb

Similar Products Used:   Valdora PHX (also an excellent alternative, I use this bike as well on my trainer and as a backup if my PHX2 is in the shop).

Bike Setup:   Dura-Ace 7900, Adamo Road saddle, Hed corsair aerobar, Zipp tubular wheelset