Avocet 35 Computers

Avocet 35

Submitted by Mr. Versatile a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    Huge display numbers are good for 60+ year-old eyes even when going downhill at 50+ mph. Large, easy to push buttons. Extremely accurate. Very rugged. My 30 has been in continuous use since 1990...and that's 5000 mi. per year average.

Weaknesses:    Just try to find one. They are very rare. I'm unaware of what's going on with Avocet, but IME, these are all but impossible to get.

Bottom Line:
I have a 30 & a 35. They are just super. They have all the features I want, and are easy to set-up & use. Huge display numbers are good for 60+ year-old eyes even when going downhill at 50+ mph. Large, easy to push buttons. Extremely accurate.

Favorite Ride:   any

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Nashbar, Performance, etc., etc.

Bike Setup:   Steel DeRosa with CF fork...all Campy Chorus.

Submitted by sbailey64 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2005

Strengths:    Large numbers from display
Large, easy to press buttons
No nonsense user interface

Weaknesses:    Uses a battery every season
(I believe later units are more power efficient)

Bottom Line:
Bought the model 30 back in 1990. Has worked flawlessly since. It does 'eat' a battery every season, but what do you want. A tidbit for folks that complain about the magnet ring. It is a ring because it contains 20 permanent magnets spaced evenly around its circumference. Why should you care...because the receiver unit (hall effect sensor) senses each magnet during a revolution giving the user a high quality reading of speed, distance, etc.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale 3.0 road frame with custom components

Submitted by Peter Hyland a Recreational Rider from ENGLAND, UK

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Strengths:    A super large display screen with an overall hi- tech appearance. Magnet ring fits most wheel hubs easily for trouble free operation. Positive and reliable mounting bracket for handlebar fitting.
Colour option is a very nice sales feature.

Weaknesses:    None I can find.
It is quite a popular over here to use these type of computers on MOTORBIKES as an auxiliary unit for a more accurate speed reading.
I wonder if Avocet have a suitable adaptor for this application. Another route to market perhaps?

Bottom Line:
I have an Avocet 35. Its GREAT and I also have a 30 model. Avocet are the only bicycle computers I can read without using my reading specs....good feature.
No problems with either the 30 or the 35 model although the 35 has far more features.
Only problem is you simply can't buy them over here in England so I found a helpful dealer in New York to post one to me.
Hmmmm....I wonder if Avocet would like me to be their main distributor in England ?
(Avocet let me know if you do ..uk tele. +44 (0)121 550 0601 )

Favorite Ride:   any road rides