Avocet 45 Computers

2.42/5 (12 Reviews)

Avocet 45

Submitted by Randy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2008

Strengths:    Still my favorite screen layout and buttons. Exactly what I needed.

Weaknesses:    Oh well....c'est la vie. If it doesn't work, it's not a computer, it's trash.

Bottom Line:
Oh it's so sad. I really prefer my Avocet computers over any others. Alas, the two 45tt's that I bought a few years ago both died rather quickly. One actually lasted about a year. The other one stopped functioning well fairly soon, and went back to Avocet about three times to be "repaired." Each time it was returned (replaced? repaired?) it worked for about a week.

But I have two older Avocet 40's that both still work, after many, many years.

So much for the evolution of a company and its products. Is Avocet still in business? Maybe, but I bet they don't sell bike computers anymore.

Submitted by mlewis73 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2005

Strengths:    None.

Weaknesses:    Terrible buttons. Company seems to not be supporting their products.

Bottom Line:
I bought this computer awhile back, and used it briefly. TERRIBLE buttons that sometimes forward the display twice if pressed once... and most of the time don't work the first time pressed. When Avocet made their computers in the USA years ago I never had any trouble... These Chinese-made units are junk. To boot, I've placed TWO orders for a replacement bracket but neither has been filled--one for over a year--because Avocet is having supply issues and may very well be heading out of business. I'd stay away from this company and buy a Cat Eye computer. The two Cat Eye "Micro" computers I have, purchased in 1988, are still going strong.

Favorite Ride:   Any of them.

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Other computers from Cat Eye and Specialized.

Bike Setup:   1990ish Trek 2000 frame with components of a 1989 Specialized Allez Epic.

Submitted by rendrag a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2003

Strengths:    It has all of the functions that I will ever need including cadence, and I find cadence essential to improve your performance.

Weaknesses:    Getting one that works is a hassel. No one likes the waste of returning defective products.

Bottom Line:
I have been using Avocet computers on my bike since they first came out many years ago. The quality at one time was superb but has really fallen down. My present one is the 45tt. I had to send two back till I got one that works reliably. At first this one's switches had to be punched a couple times to work but with use it works just fine now and I really would not be without it, and like it very much.

Favorite Ride:   Rose Bowl in Pasadena

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   I never used any other bike computer since Avocet first came out.

Bike Setup:   Trek 5200 T modified with an 11X32 cassett for hill climbing.

Submitted by David Kirkpatrick a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2003

Strengths:    Lots of functions.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't work, bad warranty follow up.

Bottom Line:
I hate to do this but I have to whack this computer and Avocet in general. I bought a 45TT this spring. It stopped working well the first rainy day (no more cadence), then dropped digits soon after, then really just didn't work at all. All told I got about 3 weeks of marginal functionality out of it. No big deal, people make mistakes. But once I sent it back (and to be honest I let it sit on my desk for a month before I sent it back), it took them two weeks to get back to me and tell me that yes, indeed, it would be replaces, and that it would be three weeks before they had the stock on hand to replace it. That was 8 weeks ago. I called today, they said it would be 3 weeks before they could replace it. I don't believe them, and will be taking a 35 instead, so that I might have it before I am old and grey.

Favorite Ride:   DuPont Forest, NC

Purchased At:   Ten Speed Spokes,

Similar Products Used:   Scwinn Sting Ray cyclocomputer (I'm not kidding, the thing cost $18, tells me what I really need to know and is bulletproof).

Bike Setup:   Lemond Reno and Fisher hardtail.

Submitted by Jeff a Road Racer from California

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2003

Strengths:    best looking and mounting.

Weaknesses:    reliability. Less reliable than a $2 watch you would find in a liquor store.

Bottom Line:
I started using avocet computer around 1990. They were the rage of the pro peloton and worked great. They were highly reliable. No problems at all.

Some years later, avocet quality has taken a severe nosedive, and I mean severe. They are now made in china, the hallmark of quality excellence.

The dislplay will almost always go out within months as just about everyone else here has said. Your breath has enough moisture to make the display fail.

Nothing like jamming in a big gear and seeing the numbers look like letters!

The only thing that seems to work halfway decently is the cadence display, and even that has problems.

A true piece of crap, I will never buy another one again. A complete waste of $50.

Hey avocet: What the hell is your problem?

Bike Setup:   Treks, Cannondales, blah, blah.

EXTENDED Today's sierratradingpost.com 45% Off Select Items & free S&H for $100+

Sierratradingpost has some new Giordana Formared Carbon bibs (Sm, Med, & XL only left) when applying Keycode ARY22282 for $88 plus S&H. Keycode good for today only & 3 uses. Apply Keycode during checkout. I need Size Large so if you need a $250 pair of bibs for $88... Here is your chance. Here is t ... Read More »

$45 revival recipe for "broken" Shimano Brifters

Recipe: Buy: 1.) White Lightening - Clean Streak, $16.00 2.) gallon size metal can WD-40, $16.00 3.) Tri-Flow, $8.00 4.) canned air, $2.00 5.) translucent 1 quart container/ lid, $3.00 I had a pair of Shimano Brifters with the right / rear frozen after sitting in the garage all winter. ... Read More »

Bearing ?? 45-degree and 36-degree contact

For a 36x45 bearing Which is the angle of the internal shoulder "cup" for cartridge bearing and which is for the crown race. My Look fork spec is 45-degree for the built in crown. Do I really need a 45x45; or will the stock 36x45 work?Read More »

Roval Rapide SL 45

I am looking to buy these wheelset and I would like to know if anybody has had experiences good or bad about them. Do you think is a good buy at $750 for used (take offs from new) or do I have a better choice at that price range? I appreciate your comments. I am 5.9 and 175 pounds, most of my ri ... Read More »

Giro Savant $45 at Backcountry.com

I've been looking for an inexpensive helmet for a while and and just ordered a Giro Savant from Backcountry. I haven't tried on this particular Giro, but other models in medium always fit me well. Supposed to be a nice helmet based on online reviews. [url=http://www.backcountry.com/giro-savant- ... Read More »