Blackburn Neuro 4.0 cyclocomputer Computers

2.67/5 (6 Reviews)

Blackburn Neuro 4.0 Digital Cycle Computer features a robust 2.4GHz data transmission system that provides reliable, interference-free speed, heart rate and cadence and good battery life. Neuro is also packed with more serious training features, includin

Submitted by Elden Vigil a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2011

Strengths:    Accuracy

Weaknesses:    The cadence monitor has never worked

Bottom Line:
Got this computer as a gift, fits very nice on handle bars. Has a lot of good features and is very accurate. It can be a bit complicated to use at first but after time its not too bad. Too many problems with the cadence sensor, only picked up the signal once and has never worked which is a shame bc it's a feature I need. It's a good computer if you don't care about the cadence.

Favorite Ride:   long rides on open country

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   None yet

Bike Setup:   trek 2.1, bontrager R3 tires, nashbar glide race 2 saddle, blackburn 4.0

Submitted by cathleen a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2010

Strengths:    can't see any, if I can't get it set up.

Weaknesses:    can't set it up.

Bottom Line:
I could rate it, if I could get the computer to "pair" with the sensors. Set up leaves ALOT to be desired. It keeps asking for the HR (heart monitor) but there isn't one. I keep pressing the "option" button to no avail. I keep getting the message on it - FAIL. So I think I will give the cyclometer a FAIL rating.

Similar Products Used:   cat eye, was good.

Bike Setup:   specialized road bike, allez dolce, ultegra components.

Submitted by Coyote0130 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2009

Strengths:    Accurate, Easy set-up, backlight that actually works well, and the 4 lines of display that keeps you constantly informed. HR upgrade option.

Weaknesses:    The so called "Race Mode" just strips all the information off the unit and turns it into a timer...The stem mount is somewhat odd. Incomplete printed manual.

Bottom Line:
It is an extremely well designed product, It works well after you can figure out how to sync the head to the sensor, which is covered only vaguely on the printed manual. For the complete manual you have to open the manual that is supplied on the CD. Why Blackburn chose to not to print a complete manual beats me...Set-up is relatively painless after reading the complete instructions, installation was also easy since unlike other manufacturers Blackburn supplies extra cable ties. The speed accuracy seems right on as I kept my old Cateye Vectra on my bike as well as the Neuro on the first couple of rides. The backlight function works well, and preprogrammed wheel sizes make installation easy. Cadence function works great as well, and seems to be quite accurate. My only grief is it does not turn on automatically as the system claims, although this is a minor inconvenience. The much hyped race mode is quite useless. the unit comes supplied with a bar and a stem mount but the stem mount has to be installed onto the the headset and is prone small vibrations, i solved this by simply melting the mount a little so it angles down just a little bit.

Blackburn gets 5 for value as there is nothing else within its price range that is comparable, but the user interface is a little awkward and it ships with incomplete printed manual with no reference to the said manual being incomplete!

Favorite Ride:   Anything Downhill

Purchased At:   TotalCycling.com

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Strada, Cateye Vectra, and Vetta...

Bike Setup:   Orbea Mitis Carbon, with Campy Chorus, and Campy wheels...

Submitted by deskref a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2008

Bottom Line:
After my August 25 posting I managed to find an online site that could get me a 2nd bike kit. They were more helpful than the Blackburn customer service reps apparently because they do quite a bit of business with Blackburn. They were given a kit part number and told that the 2nd bike kit would include the following:1 handlebar bracket, 1 stem mount, 1 crank & wheels magnet and 1 speed and cadence transmitter cable.
When I received the kit there was no bar bracket or stem mount. Upon my inquiry and the online retailer's follow up it was revealed to original information was wrong - no mounting hardware. It's interesting to note that with the kit I received there was one, red, rubber shim for the bar mounting bracket in the 2nd bike kit. It escapes me why this was included since there was nothing to use it with, i.e. a second bar bracket. It's almost as though whoever assembled the kit I received threw in some miscellaneous parts. It's just another strong indication to me along with the misinformation the online retailer received and the frustration I sensed from the customer service people I communicated with there is something wrong inside Blackburn Design. Oh, yeah Blackburn missed their mid-September availability date too. As you might imagine I won't be buying any more of their products nor would I recommend them to my friends.

Submitted by marino454 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Lots of data. Well built. Pretty easy to use.

Weaknesses:    - Price
- Customer Service is useless
- Setup as required but Distance and Speed displayed are off (Reported 62mi on a 65mi ride).
- There is no option to re-link the heart rate monitor if you lose the link by walking too far away from your bike.

Bottom Line:
This is for the Neuro 6.0. It's a great computer with lots of data. It's fairly easy to setup and use. However, there are a few drawbacks, see below.

Favorite Ride:   Anything I can cook up the mean streets on...

Purchased At:   eBay