CatEye CC-CD300DW Computers

• 3 windows display 4 readouts
  • Center mount bracket

Submitted by LM123 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    I have two of these, one on each of my bikes I've had them over 3 years on each bike. Neither has ever had a problem, even in very wet weather but you need to adopt a battery-replacement schedule.

The display shows everything I need on one screen.

Weaknesses:    Needs new batteries every 4 - 5 months. If the batteries on the display unit are weak, the display will blink so you can replace them before the unit quits. The same is not the case for the sending unit. If the batteries on the sending unit are weak, there is no warning. I've lost signal, and therefore lost the use of the computer, in the middle of a ride because the batteries in the sending unit had worn out.

The solution is to replace the batteries every four months. That might be a little more often than necessary but it does avoid the aforementioned battery problems.

The unit was difficult to progarm, especially at first. I would have preferred fewer functions and more simplicity. E.g., I don't need a warning beep if cadence falls too low. This can be programmed out but it took me a while to learn how to do it.

Bottom Line:
First rate computer but a bit heavy on battery use.

I give it a 5 rating because it has had no mechanical problems and because I like the display and the information displayed. It was a little expensive so value is only 4.

Favorite Ride:   LOCAL CLUB RIDES

Purchased At:   COLORADO CYCLIST

Similar Products Used:   I'v lost count of the computers I've had although I do remember that the Campagnolo unit was definitely the worst. I liked the Specialized unit because it showed percentage grade but it is no longer made.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Vortex. Full Campy. Erus wheelset.

Steel Independent Fabrication Club Racer. Campy triple, disc brakes, fenders and rear rack. Set-up for winter rides.

Submitted by zdpn03 a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    Multi function display. Clean installation. Easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Uses, and goes through a lot of batteries. (Uses 4 batteries. I go through about 1-2 sets of batteries per season).

Weak/thin mounting bracket. I have had the moutning bracket of 3 computers crack and break after a season of riding. It appears that the constant vibrations of a season of road riding eventually weaken the bracket and cause it to break. Luckily all three happened just short of the 1 year warranty period and were promptly replaced by CatEye. As much as I like the computer, I will not purchase another if my current one breaks outside of the warranty period and is not replaced by CatEye.

I also had problems with the first computer I purchased. After a few months, it suddenly started going through a new set of batteries in a matter of weeks. I also noticed a slight huming noise coming from the head unit. CatEye replaced that computer and I have not encountered this problem again.

Bottom Line:
This computer is great - when it is not broken. The split display is great. It is easy to use. The setup is very clean. Excellent customer service.

Favorite Ride:   Enchanted Circle, NM

Purchased At:   Best Cycle Buys

Similar Products Used:   CatEye Astrale.

Bike Setup:   I use the same model computer on two different full carbon road bikes. One is a standard handlebar mount on a standard road bike. The second is a road bike with aerobars. The computer is mounted out towards the end of the aerobars. This is the setup that I am having problems with my computer bracket eventually wearing out and breaking on an annual basis.