CatEye Cordless Cyclocomputer Computers

3.06/5 (33 Reviews)

CatEye Cordless Cyclocomputer

Submitted by barb a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2009

Strengths:    Small and sturdy, easy to install, reliable, easy to take off/reattach.

Weaknesses:    None that i can find.

Bottom Line:
The Cateye cordless 7 was my first cyclocomputer and thus far I've been quite happy with it. It's reliable and does everything I need it to. It's even gotten some light rain on and no problems. The avg speed, current mph, total odometer and time are all I need. I guess if you need more you may want to look elsewhere but this one pretty much is perfect. As for attaching the unit, I can't say as I had a friend do it but it only took about 15-20 min. I love that you can't see any wires and it's almost as if you had no attachments on the bike at all.

Favorite Ride:   any

Purchased At:   online store

Similar Products Used:   none

Bike Setup:   Mine rests on the handlebars and fits perfectly on my Giant OCR3.

Submitted by tarwheel2 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2007

Strengths:    Easy to use. Very readable display.

Weaknesses:    Lacks basic functions any computer should have in its price range -- namely riding time and average speed.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Cateye Vectra wireless to replace a DB-4 computer that was acting up. I just needed something basic but reliable (the DB readings got all mixed up when riding under traffic lights). I didn't read the box very carefully, but assumed that the Cateye would have all the functions on the DB, which cost $10 less. However, on the first ride I quickly realized the Cateye did not keep track of riding time or average speed. This is basic information that any computer ought to have, and it wouldn't cost Cateye any profits to include it. So I returned the computer.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Axiom (Performance), DB

Bike Setup:   De Bernardi

Submitted by Brian a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2007

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    Transmitter stopped working after less than 3 months of use.

Bottom Line:
This is a nice bike computer, but didn't last very long. My transmitter stopped working completely after less than 3 months of use. Since you can't buy a transmitter separately, the computer itself became totally useless. I guess I can use it as a paper weight. :(

It was a nice computer while it worked, but I had to give it a "1" value rating since it broke so fast and wasn't repairable. I would have tried contacting the manufacturer for a replacement, but live overseas, so didn't bother.

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Several different types of wired bike computers.

Bike Setup:   2000 Bianchi Giro, stock

Submitted by Jason a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    Simple install, no wires. Nice display. Sleep mode. ODO is retained while swapping battery.

Weaknesses:    2 batteries to keep track of instead of one. No cadence monitoring.

Bottom Line:
Bought a Cateye Cordless 7 about two years ago. I've put almost 1000 miles on it since then and it's worked flawlessly. Installation is very simply, just attach to handlebars with the included zip ties. Despite the bad reviews mine has worked fine, maybe Cateye improved the 2005 model?

Favorite Ride:   Liberty Hill