CatEye Double Wireless Computers

2.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Double wireless computer, offering speed and cadence measurement and coded transmission through one transmitter.

Submitted by TRH408 a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    Price/function point
Simple to use and mount
"Single-click" interface

Weaknesses:    Unreliable
Short product life (< 9 months)

Bottom Line:
The 1st 3k miles were great. The functionality with the single button and the wireless ability were a great combo at this price point.

Alas, in the last 1,400 miles this computer has become the Jekyll and Hyde of cyclocomputers. Speed bounces from 20 to zero, remains there for several tenths of a mile, then recalculates. Anything over 30 mph is almost always lost. Distance, average speed, and other computations are no longer reliable.

I've replaced batteries, realigned transmitters, and reset transmitter IDs. Today, the computer has completely failed after approximately 9 to 10 months.

The Cateye Strada Cadence Wireless is one of few computers with these functions at this price point, but it's clearly a case of getting what I paid for it. Truly disappointing.

Favorite Ride:   Downhill side of Edgewood Road

Purchased At:   FleaBay

Bike Setup:   '09 Trek 2.1, Bonty RXL, Vredestein Fortezza TriComps, Fizik Arione

Submitted by Quixote a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2009

Strengths:    No Wires! Coded signal, no interference. Backlit display. Cumulative ride data is not lost after changing batteries. Weatherproof!

Weaknesses:    Sensor arms need to be set up quite closely, but once they are secure, the signal is solid. Some of the LCD menu lables are cryptic without the manual.

Bottom Line:
I guess I'm the lucky one with this computer. I bought it used two years ago, and it still works great! Even in a room full of other spinners (some who also have the DW) there is no interference or lost signals. Battery consumption is good. Low life indicators start flashing in about 8-10 months of daily use. I like it so much, I've recently purchased a second sensor body for another bike, and just the switch head units.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   Cervelo S2, DA compact, FSA K-Force comp bar, nokons, Reynolds SDV66T.
05 Lemond Tourmalet w/ Reynolds DV46T ULs.

Submitted by stevesoutriding a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    Cadence counter works great.

Weaknesses:    Obvious durability with the speed sensor and transmitter.

Bottom Line:
I'm growing to hate this computer. I bought it for the clean install it provides. This is my second one after a warranty replacement and I have used it for 2 years. Late last season it started reading absurd speeds on the ride such as 20mph then 4mph 14mph or even 35mph when I would be doing 20mph. I have the cadence model and this feature works great. Speed on the other hand is awful. I have replaced batteries, adjusted the pick ups, moved the computer and adjusted the location of the transmitter. Same results. Very frustrating. Going back to a wired computer. I can't remember what I paid for it but I know I paid well over $100. This thing should last longer for the money and I'm tired of sending stuff back because it wasn't R and D'd enough before marketing to the consumer. I'm going back to the basics. Enough with super lite frames and fancy gizmos.

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   You name it I've used it.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale System Six, Kysrium SL, and Sram Red/Force mix.

Submitted by EpiphFreddy a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2009

Strengths:    When it works it is great.

Weaknesses:    When it does work it does give some inconsistent readings (cadence 230 - I don't think so!). Confusing, erroneous manual.

Bottom Line:
Total junk. I could not be more frustrated with this computer. Does not work properly for long and manual is not good at all. Many important points lost in the translation from Japanese to English. Computer does not work consistently and now does not work at all. When the computer works properly it is really nice which gives a glimmer of hope that it is OK. Just to fail you (and waste more of your time) the next time around. All of the other Cateye computers I have used (wired cheaper ones) have worked perfectly. I am going back to the cheap Cateyes for now until I find something better. Big disappointment. Putting back in the mail today to Nashbar for a full refund.

Favorite Ride:   Monte Sano

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Wired Cateyes whic work great!

Bike Setup:   Scott Addict full DA, Ksyriums

Submitted by turtle a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2008

Strengths:    If it worked consistently, then it's a good computer. The dislay is easy to read, and a lot of information is readily available.

Weaknesses:    1. Speed drops to zero many times during the ride which makes my distance reading off by 1 to 2 miles. This makes it very difficult to follow a cue sheet.

2. It eats batteries. I've only had the 2nd unit for 3 months, and it needs new batteries.

Bottom Line:
I got the CD300DW as a 2007 Christmas present. Since I've had it, the speed would cut out at various times during each ride. It goes from 18 to 2 to 0 then back to 18. I returned the first one, and the replacement has the same problem. I do not have any issues with my Polar 720, so I do not believe it is local EM interferance. Plus, a riding buddy has the same unit and loves it after having it replaced 3 times for the same problem. I contacted CatEye about a 2nd replacement and they have ignored my requests. I'm switching to a Blackburn Neuro 4.0.

Favorite Ride:   all of them