CatEye Enduro 2 Computers

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

CatEye Enduro 2

Submitted by kdub a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2007

Strengths:    -Very water resistant; had no problems at all even in pouring rain
-No problems in subzero temperature; not even a flicker on the dispaly
-small
-easy big digit speed readout
-Very durable
-Battery lasts forever. I am still on the original battery since 2003
-Made in Japan

Weaknesses:    -chunky wire, but then again the chunky wire was designed with mountain biking in mind for durability.

Bottom Line:
I have the same computer in both my bikes. Been using it since 2003 and they work so well I can't justify changing them.

Purchased At:   some bike store in S

Similar Products Used:   Avocet 35
Vetta
Performance

Bike Setup:   Eddy Merckx MXL
Cervelo R3

Submitted by Karellin a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 5, 2007

Strengths:    Other reviewers have covered its strengths in depth. I concur with these reviews, and genuinely like the product. It does what I want, flawlessly.

Weaknesses:    The handlebar mount has a little plastic lever you push to release the Cateye. This finally broke on a ride and the Cateye itself fell out and was lost. This was after 18 months of use. I was unhappy but bought another Cateye Enduro 2. Price was cheap on eBay. I now monitor the little lever from time to time to make sure that it is not fatiguing (you know, you see a little whiteness on the upcoming stress fracture). I don't know if you can buy another mount seperately but I hope so. Seems to me they should make the little lever out of metal and not plastic. Still, its replacement was cheap and setting it up again (my lbs did the first one) was simple. I recommend this product--but keep your eye on your little lever.

Bottom Line:
Very happy with my Cateye Enduro. But . . .

Favorite Ride:   Anywhere flat

Purchased At:   ebay

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Ancient Zebrakenko (now defunct) Japanese road bike . No special nothing and it's heavy (24.5 lbs.).

Submitted by abtractedfoundation a Racer from Chicago

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2003

Strengths:    Rugged, well designed, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    The plastic mount broke on the second day I used it. I was riding in 33 degree F weather, and the dismount lever snapped off when I pressed it to remove computer. The mount still works, just scratches my finger.

Bottom Line:
This is a nice computer, waterproof, solid, light, lots of functions, relatively easy navigation. For the reviewer above, you can switch to trip distance 2 with one button, which wouldn't necessitate the two handed simultaneous button press for reset. It is a good thing it is so hard to reset, on my old computer occasionally I would accidently reset the computer when taking it off. Overall nice computer, I paid too much for it though. My value rating reflects on the price I paid.

Favorite Ride:   Champaign Urbana on a summer night

Purchased At:   Johnny Sprockets

Similar Products Used:   Sigma Sport BC 800 which is also an awsome computer.

Bike Setup:   twisted pile of steel and smashed componants (doored)

Submitted by johnnyhowell a Racer from Park Slope, Brooklyn NY

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    -Big numbers on good contrast background, which is better than Vetta's
-Distance is in 100/th's of a mile, Vetta 10/th's
- Straightforward operation
- 3x distance options (dist 1,2 ODO)
- Quick speed determination; Vetta wireless has lag, like it's thinking

Weaknesses:    I bought the Vetta V100HR for 3 reasons:
1) Too difficult to reset the Cateye reliably when doing laps. I cannot reset it with one hand more than 1 out of 3 times. I do laps, and want my lap times.
2) No cadence like my old Cateye
3) No integrated Heart Rate

Same wheel measurements between Cateye/Vetta yield different distance measurements! (time is at least the same)

- Again: Reset buttonpress sequence SUCKS

Bottom Line:
The road bike I bought came with a silver Enduro 2, and I thought it just fine, except it didn't have cadence. Thus, I recently bought a Vetta V100HR wireless cadence computer, and have them both mounted on my handlebars so I can compare side-by-side.

Favorite Ride:   Prospect Park loop drive

Purchased At:   roadbikereview class

Similar Products Used:   Vetta V100HR
Cateye pre-Astrale cadence model

Bike Setup:   Rhygin (Columbus Metax Stainless Steel)Frame 55cm Roadie, with Campy Record 9-speed group, Avocet Carbon 12 Kevlar belt tires

Submitted by cjcanty a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Strengths:    Reliable, durable

Bottom Line:
This computer is great. I have had it for about 2 years. I was having some problems with it trying to get a reading but it turned out that it was not installed properly. It is just about clutz proof. Everyone talks about it still working in terrible weather, well I mistakenly threw mine into the laundry as it was in the pocket of my cycling shorts. It amazingly still works perfectly. I couldn't believe it. Definitely recommend the product.

Favorite Ride:   Hartshorne, New Jersey

Purchased At:   High Gear Cyclery

cateye enduro 2 shows speed but not distance

I have an (old) cateye enduro 2 cyclocomputer that seems to be losing its mind. It is still able to display the speed, but for some reason the odometer is staying stuck at zero. The LCD doesn't look dim, so I don't think it's the battery (but will check and replace it when I get a chance). Since ... Read More »