CatEye Mity 3 Computers

3.15/5 (13 Reviews)

Cateye Mity 3

Submitted by tim morris a Commuter

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2011

Strengths:    easy to set up and read, simple information is displayed

Weaknesses:    the error problem

Bottom Line:
it's a simple computer, easy to set up and gives accurate results. But the average speed computes an error if I go more than 600km without a reset.

Submitted by Mr. Versatile a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    It has all the good basic functions. Easy to read. Easily changed to a different bike with different wheel size.

Weaknesses:    Completly indecipherable owners manual. Had to call the support line 3 times to clarify how to set the $%^$% up. Cateyes, IME, just do not last. I've owned many computers over the years, and every single one has been better than the Cateyes in terms of set-up and longevity.

Bottom Line:
It's a typical Cateye. I've owned 5 Cateye computers, and I've never had one last 2000 mi. or more.

who should buy this? Anyone who likes to spend $$ and time changing computers 2 or 3 times per year.

Favorite Ride:   the next one

Similar Products Used:   Nashbar, Performance, Avocet,

Bike Setup:   Steel DeRosa with carbon fork. All Campy Chorus.

Submitted by Nigeyy a Recreational Rider

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2005

Strengths:    Still works. Very cheap.

Weaknesses:    Arcane way of getting to some functionality; pressing the back reset button required?!! You haven't got the manual? Forget about it. Not intuitive. Buttons are on the side at the bottom to press, not as easy at having them on the top.

Bottom Line:
Hate to be one of the few people who don't like this, but I really don't think much of this. It seems to be well made, and certainly still functions after a year, but the biggest problem I have is its lack of intuitiveness. In comparison to my Vetta CR-16 (still works after 4+ years) it's a bear to remember which buttons to press, particularly if you have this computer on a backup bike you don't use often. Thank goodness I put the manual in a safe place! Lastly, I find fault with the button placement; they are on the bottom at the side -I find it much more awkward to press them when I'm riding -especially when you have to press both of them simutaneously (usually you use your thumb at the bottom so you can't press two buttons in easily)..... I just don't think it's very well thought out.

Definitely won't be buying one again -there have to be better thought out computers than this.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Vetta, Mity, Nashbar brand, etc

Submitted by cam a Triathlete

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2005

Strengths:    excellent usability. i mean the info u want to see is in 3 sections, so if you wanna see a time, ride time or time of day, you just go to the second function.

Weaknesses:    no weaknesses if this is what you want, ie. i want a computer with cadence but i guess thats not a weakness of the computer

Bottom Line:
i have had this computer since i first got my bike and it has been a great starter computer. i have had no problems what-so-ever. it is very easy to set up and even easier to use.

Bike Setup:   trek 2500, ultegra groupset

Submitted by greyzephyr a Commuter

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2004

Strengths:    -easy setup, unless trying to hide the wire
-easy to use, buttons easy to manipulate
-large mph always on top, if that is how you prefer it
-accurate

Weaknesses:    -wired
-doesn't hold up to being hit by an f150?
-has a thing with 43 miles an hour

Bottom Line:
I loved my computer. And the only reason that I use past tense is due to a Ford F150 that ran over it. I used the mity for about three years and never had any complaints. The only thing that was tough was trying to mount the sensor and magnet on the left side of the my bike as i store my bike on a hanger above the couch (looks great if you were wondering). I only did this for minor aesthtics. Some reviewers spoke of the unit flying off, i have never had this happen without it being my fault, ie. not securing it back on the mount after popping it out slghtly to prevent corruption of morning numbers. I commute quite a bit as well as pleasure riding, so i am often out in the elements, and this computer never blitzed out or fogged up or anything and that even includes a round in the washer AND dryer. One thing that i just remembered, last summer I was going wicked fast down one of kentucky's many gorgeous hills (the only good thing about this state) and for some reason it stopped giving detailed readouts at 43 miles an hour, it would not even give tenths of a mile, I know that i felt myself accelerate further down the hill, but...

Favorite Ride:   where the roads unfold

Purchased At:   random catalog