CatEye OS Computers

3.5/5 (12 Reviews)

• Data Review functions • Last ride data • Date, Time & Distance • Max Speed (ever) • Weekly distance by day and graphed by week • Monthy distance (for 1 year) • yearly distance (for 6 years) • Pace Arrow • Personal Data • Name and birthday • Font Size • Choose the font size of lower display (4 sizes)

Submitted by BWH3 a Racer

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    Big display, customizable display, durable

Weaknesses:    not a weakness for me, but there is no cadence

Bottom Line:
I have the Cateye OS 1.1, and I believe they have ironed out all of the bugs. This is a durable unit, with a nice big display and a lot of features for a 'basic' type of computer. It has a very simple on-screen set up, and the best part is that you can customize how the data is displayed. There is also a feature to see charts of your mileage over a week, month, or year...I though it was cool at first, but then rarely used it. Battery life seems to be excellent - I have never replaced a battery in the last year of use. And, the unit has not had any problems in all types of weather conditions. If you are looking for all of the basic information (except no cadence) this is the best unit I have seen. I can' tell you how many times someone I am riding with asks me for the time b/c they know I can actually read my screen!

Favorite Ride:   Anything w/in reach of NYC

Purchased At:   Paragon Sports

Similar Products Used:   A variety of Cateyes throughout the years

Bike Setup:   Orbea Mayo Replica, Campy Record, Mavic Kyserium

Submitted by stuttsdc a Road Racer

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2003

Strengths:    Easy to read, lots of options. greets you in the morning, wishes you a good ride, etc. even congratulates you on reaching certain distances.

Weaknesses:    The batteries wear out in just months. Occasionally, it just goes to sleep and you have to reset it, losing all of your data. What's the point of all the data review functions if you end up losing it all anyway? Mine has decided to stop working after a year and I'm not sure why. I've replaced the battery but suddenly it'll just stop taking readings and won't turn on at all. Very, very annoying.

Bottom Line:
Nice looking computer w/a ton of features and a load of bugs (hopefully, fixed in the 1.1 version.)

Similar Products Used:   none

Submitted by Cadmonkey a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Strengths:    Ease of use, ability to "personalze" the readout screen. I also like the large font sizes that make the screen easy to read.

Weaknesses:    My biggest weakness is that it doesn't seem to function well in rain, even limited rain. When it is wet out, it get crazy readings showing that I'm riding at 900+ miles per hour and at other times,it just shuts off when in the rain. Also, it does seem to eat a lot of batteries.

Bottom Line:
I really like the OS, it does have tons of features (which is why I got the OS.) I have found that in reality I really don't use most of the features. I like that it greets me each morning at the start of the ride.

Favorite Ride:   Any long ride

Purchased At:   Some bike shop outsi

Similar Products Used:   Other Cateye products and also a Sigma Sport.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR with Ultegra components.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Auckland

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Strengths:    Large Clear Display. Easy set up. Neat (if useless) additional information.

Weaknesses:    Eats batteries (every 3 months in normal use without accessing the stored data too much). Inaccurate readings. Over priced. Be prepared to get teased about the 'laptop on your handlebars' - it is big!

Bottom Line:
A real let down. I have always used Cat Eye computers with no problems, but I am on my 3rd OS. The display is nice and large, the unit has some nice features, but every now and again it just goes to sleep and won't wake up again. It eats batteries like they are going out of fashion. I have experienced some amazing speeds with the computer (once I apparently hit 1800 mph up a hill!), but I am concerned with the lack of accuracy. Riding at a steady pace, the display can vary from 18 to 25 to 36 mph in 2 seconds. Not worth the money, and I actually never use the additional functions which is why I bought the unit in the first place. I would be beter off with a more reliable standard unit, which Cat Eye are so good at making. Maybe the unit is too clever for its own good!

Similar Products Used:   Various Cat Eye's over the years (probably about 5 different models)

Bike Setup:   Seven Axiom, Record, Eurus, Thomson

Submitted by Z32NUT a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Nice display, Ease of setup. Good for data weenies like me.

Weaknesses:    Battery only seems to last a season, then deadsville. My MITY3 is 4 years old, and still on the original battery.

Bottom Line:
I love the big display. The srolling buttons make it easy to go from funtion to function quickly and easily. Setup is a joke(easy) compared to some other types and brands of speedo's. This, next to their Mity3, is the best ones to hang off your bars. Only reason I say that is because in the 2 years, I've gont through 2 batteries. Its nice to have the ability to store years of data, But not if the battery usage isn't up to it. You lose all your stored mileage data when you chane the battery.

Purchased At:   Revolution Edmonton

Similar Products Used:   OS is like NO other product.

Bike Setup:   C'dale SR400 triple, Ultegra drivetrain, Mavic Ksyrium SL's (extremely sweet wheels!!!!) Cinelli bar

New Project: Tommasini Tecno EL-OS

I just picked this up a couple of weeks ago. Gotta dig that '90s marble paint job!Read More »

FSA OS-115 Stem - Thoughts?

I just installed an FSA OS-115 stem on my bike...and now I'm having reservations, per the link below: [url=http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/index.php/t-355484.html]FSA stem warning (OS-115)(RD-120) [Archive] - Bike Forums[/url] I know a year or so ago there was a rash of broken steer tubes in ... Read More »

Steel Eddy Merckx Strada OS 56 cm domo farm frites color price?

Hello! Could you tell me witch price could be this steel frame from Eddy Merckx? it's internal cable routing, domo farmfrites team color and columbus brain tubing [URL="http://www.ebay.com/itm/EDDY-MERCKX-Strada-OS-Steel-frame-size-56-vintage-lotto-domo-farmfrites-columbus-/251434485916?pt=LH_Def ... Read More »

How To Recover BKF File From Windows XP And Restore On New Windows 7 OS?

Hi, I have left my entire crucial document data in old version of Microsoft windows XP and now using of newest edition windows 7 for running application. Therefore I want to recover my BKF file from old Windows backup utility database and restore on windows 7 operating system in competence way with ... Read More »

Colnago FSA Team Issue & Gossamer Cranksets, FSA OS-150 XTC Stems Discounted Heavily

Came across these at Sigma Sport in London. FSA COLNAGO TEAM ISSUE CARBON COMPACT CHAINSET (170 x 50/34 & 175 x 50/34) for $133 plus S&H. [url=http://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/FSA/Colnago-Team-Issue-Carbon-Compact-Chainset/1XYR]FSA Colnago Team Issue Carbon Compact Chainset.[/url] FSA COLNAGO GOSS ... Read More »